House Price Crash Forum

Only Seven Days To Go

HOLA441
HOLA442

Just one week to find out the real extent of the cuts

Will Osbourne backtrack and will compomise make any cuts too shallow?

Maybe we won't get the real deep cuts that are necessary until next year or the year after.

Would be very bad strategy to roll back, then have to up the pace later.

If he's smart he'll try to get the pain underway soon as poss.

Having said that he fancies himself as the master tactician to he may well try to do something clever (an we all know how that ends up ....)

HOLA443
HOLA444

It'll be just like watching an England football match. You have such high hopes that the new management will bring home a win, but the reality is we'll struggle to get a nil-nil draw with country ranked 40th.

I expect nothing and therefore its hard for me to be disappointed.

HOLA445

It'll be just like watching an England football match. You have such high hopes that the new management will bring home a win, but the reality is we'll struggle to get a nil-nil draw with country ranked 40th.

I expect nothing and therefore its hard for me to be disappointed.

lol +1

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

It'll be a little bit worse than Darling's plans ...

BUT with some sort of sweetner (stamp duty holiday?) to "get the house market back to normal" - you read it here first

regards

J

haha surely they can't give money to people buying and selling houses when they have taken it off the children?

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Maybe we won't get the real deep cuts that are necessary until next year or the year after.

For me this is all about communication NOT cuts.

When the coalition came in the game was to get a message out there that A) they had a grip and the UK was not going to be a risk for bond buyers etc etc B) That they were going to put right the wrongs of Labour and cut out the wastage etc etc.

Since then the markets have calmed, there have been a number of initiatives to try and highlight the wastage ( eg Green's report, the closing of quangos , the reporting of cut scenarios for departments etc etc ). But there has been a side effect which is consumer confidence has been stung by thoughts of mass redundancies etc.

Recently we have seen an attempt to calm consumer fears with re-itterations of any cuts being spread over five years, that growth will be maintained etc etc.

I think the emergency budget will seek to make political capital out of Labours wastage, continue to demonstrate to world markets that a firm hand is on the tiller but crucially there will be calming messages about the scale of redundancies and when these will impact mingled with some good news tax breaks perhaps and some growth stimulation initiatives... it wouldn't surprise me if housing didn't feature somehow.

Someone else said the cuts woun't be far off the level Darling talked of.. it too wouldn't surprise me if the true difference between the parties wasn't that Labour promised balanced cuts ( but wouldn't have been able to delvier even those) while the Tories talk about deeper cuts but end up delivering the very level of cuts labour had proposed in the first place.

I am pretty relaxed that the cuts will be a fluid exercise over the next five years, I'm not even sure the tories are that committed to actually getting to their target more importantly they are interessted in calming the money markets, keeping confidence positive, keeping growth moving and ramming home a message about Labours wastage.... they just happen to be dressing all these things up in the political theatre of cuts.

HOLA4411

He'll backtrack and follow Darling's plan, which the majority of leading economists agree is the correct thing to do.

That`ll be the plan from the planners of the plan that got us into this mess in the first place, according to plan.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

He'll backtrack and follow Darling's plan, which the majority of leading economists agree is the correct thing to do.

Could he? Would he? Considerable quantities of egg on face if he does.Boy George is in a Catch 22.He knows it's the right thing to do but if he does it let's Labour right off the hook.

HOLA4414

Will the bond markets allow any backtracking? My gut feeling is it will truly shock those not old enough to have been adults or teenagers in the 70`s and 80`s, for many on here that are older it might not put them off their beer too much? Media and general population reactions will be interesting, but they are a unique coalition government with (as they see it) the mandate to tackle the worst set of figures since the war, why would they backtrack? They can always hire more police?

HOLA4415

Will the bond markets allow any backtracking? My gut feeling is it will truly shock those not old enough to have been adults or teenagers in the 70`s and 80`s, for many on here that are older it might not put them off their beer too much? Media and general population reactions will be interesting, but they are a unique coalition government with (as they see it) the mandate to tackle the worst set of figures since the war, why would they backtrack? They can always hire more police?

It's going to be both cut and print. 70's and 80's was nuffink!

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Will the bond markets allow any backtracking? My gut feeling is it will truly shock those not old enough to have been adults or teenagers in the 70`s and 80`s,

The average teenager in the 1970s did not give a **** about the bond market nor does his modern day counterpart.

HOLA4418

The average teenager in the 1970s did not give a **** about the bond market nor does his modern day counterpart.

That`s not the point though, teenagers have little to no influence over how events will unfold, they just depend on these events for their comfort or lack of comfort. A bottle of cider will only take you so far, this generation of teenagers has grown up in celeb la la land, I seriously doubt many of them will cope very well with what is to come? The last time teenagers not giving a f*uck mattered to anyone but themselves was maybe the rock and roll explosion in the fifties and the outbreak of love and disobedience that happened in the sixties, apart from those two blips the VI`s have had it pretty much controlled? 

Edited by dances with sheeple

HOLA4419

The usual form is for them to be not quite as bad as they let you think before hand. That way they get sighs of relief rather than howls of protest.

Wot he said.

Besides, unpopular as the view may be on this site, it is possible that sudden and drastic cuts would cause more problems than they would solve. There will be a lot of delays and phases to give the economy a chance to adjust.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Wot he said.

Besides, unpopular as the view may be on this site, it is possible that sudden and drastic cuts would cause more problems than they would solve. There will be a lot of delays and phases to give the economy a chance to adjust.

But if that happens, all the cuts will be very fresh in peoples mind come the next general election.

I personally would make deep harsh cuts now, while its clear in everyone's mind that this is caused by Labour. Which would give me the 5 years to make things better and hope people forget.

I suspect overall I will be disappointed and it will be an anticlimax as per usual.

HOLA4422

I think they'll go for it; announce the lot, bring it in over time (but get the shock out of the way now) and hope they can soften the blows as the next few years go by.

I'd be disappointed at that; for me cutting the state is much more important than just the deficit. I want to see it done regardless of the deficit.

HOLA4423

I think they'll go for it; announce the lot, bring it in over time (but get the shock out of the way now) and hope they can soften the blows as the next few years go by.

I'd be disappointed at that; for me cutting the state is much more important than just the deficit. I want to see it done regardless of the deficit.

You old Pinko.

p-o-p

HOLA4424

I don't see how most of them can be implemented this year anyhow.

It's already October and, where staff are concerned, by the time that they have gone through a selection and consultation process it's going to be March.

tim

HOLA4425

I don't see how most of them can be implemented this year anyhow.

It's already October and, where staff are concerned, by the time that they have gone through a selection and consultation process it's going to be March.

tim

Which is a perfect example of why the state is such a waste of money. Private companies would do this in a month if not less.

Edited by Johnny Storm