House Price Crash Forum

Slash The Public Debt - Its The Law!

Timm

HOLA441

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...le-classes.html

Gordon Brown is to launch a legally binding move to reduce Britain’s debt mountain as he battles to win back support from middle-class voters who have deserted Labour under his premiership. The Prime Minister uses an interview with The Sunday Telegraph to signal his plan to bind this and future governments into years of severe spending cuts – and potential tax rises – to reduce the deficit.

(...)

Mr Brown will argue at Labour’s annual conference on Tuesday that it is “fair and responsible†to bring in a Fiscal Responsibility Act that will legally commit current and future ministers to bring down the debt — which is expected to rise by £175 billion this year alone — by specified levels. Precise details are yet to be hammered out but senior Labour sources said it would be introduced in the next Parliamentary session.

It's clever really, having left the Tories with a poisoned farm, he also wants to make it illegal for them not to fix it fast enough.

HOLA442

Hmm I think his plan to impress the 'middle-class' votes is a bit flawed.

The Prime Minister uses an interview with The Sunday Telegraph to signal his plan to bind this and future governments into years of severe spending cuts – and potential tax rises – to reduce the deficit.

At the same time, he claims to identify with the “mainstream middle classes†and declares that he will always put their interests first.

HOLA443
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...le-classes.html

It's clever really, having left the Tories with a poisoned farm, he also wants to make it illegal for them not to fix it fast enough.

Yebbut who the **** is not going to see that?

Still, it's preparation for throwing rotten eggs from the opposition benches.

HOLA444

surely halving the deficit still means public spending increases, not cuts, from these record levels, much of which was for bank bailouts, which he expects to reap rewards.

deficit is overspend whatever way you want to say it.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

I can't believe the audacity of this idiot. He made the massive debt mountain yet he's about to wash his hands of it by making sure someone else cleans up the crap he left. this is his parting shot to the UK 'You didn't vote for me so here, have this mess I created'.... and off he sails laughing his ugly face off into the sunset with a massive pension paid for by the tax-payer.

In fact there is one cut straight away that could be made.. civil service pensions.

HOLA449
surely halving the deficit still means public spending increases, not cuts, from these record levels, much of which was for bank bailouts, which he expects to reap rewards.

deficit is overspend whatever way you want to say it.

Yes I think you're right: Brown is talking about reducing the annual deficit, but the media is translating that into reducing the overall debt. It's a nice distinction, but a pretty crucial one.

In my defence, it seems to be the Telegraph that made the original error.

HOLA4410
he's about to wash his hands of it by making sure someone else cleans up the crap he left. this is his parting shot to the UK 'You didn't vote for me so here, have this mess I created'....

"...and I've written detailed instructions on mop and bucket use, including legally-binding mopping targets for you, to make sure you don't slack on the job."

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

So he's saying that what he's been doing for the past 12 years should be made illegal?

Hope they can make the law retrospective.

Of course this has no more credibility than the BoE being given the task of controlling inflation. By the time you fiddle the figures and add all the caveats and get-out clauses it's totally meaningless.

Edited by ingermany

HOLA4413

So it was alright for them to spend into oblivion and as if there was no tomorrow paying themselves large bonuses (expenses), pensions, and having long holidays in their subsidised properties....

Now they are saying the prudent, and those that have tried to save for their futures instead of living the life of riely are having to pay for their mistakes, blunders and excess...

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. ;)

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

This reminds me of those Muslim fundamentalists who spend their 20's binge drinking and whoring and then all of a sudden decide that anyone who makes the slightest infraction of a strict code of ethics is stoned to death.

But don't want to be stoned to death for their own past obviously.

Brown you total moron.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

id like to see 'Slash' from guns and roses be appointed the new minister for public service sector spending.

when an application from a local authority for a new initiative is sent for approval, he will do a guitar solo over it and if it sounds rock on, the payments are allocated. if not, its not accepted and has to be revised. (to a maximum of 3 revisions) before being marked NFA.

Edited by right_freds_dead

HOLA4422
id like to see 'Slash' from guns and roses be appointed the new minister for public service sector spending.

when an application from a local authority for a new initiative is sent for approval, he will do a guitar solo over it and if it sounds rock on, the payments are allocated. if not, its not accepted and has to be revised. (to a maximum of 3 revisions) before being marked NFA.

:lol:

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425