House Price Crash Forum

Best Place In The Uk To Move To

Zebra

HOLA441
Australia, particularly Perth and parts of Sydney, are rammed full of chavvy types.

I'd recommend Melbourne if you go there - you'll be least embarrassed by the antics of your compatriots.

One thing about London - the outer towns and M25 orbital has the highest density of chavs in the country, but in more central parts you NEVER see any. I live in Muswell Hill and work in Marylebone and I have not seen a chav for years.

Because they've been priced out of places like Muswell Hill.

Only the Upper Middle Classes and above can afford to buy family housing (not the 1/2 bed flats) there these days. Why MH feels a bit of a social ghetto to me, go back 30 years when family housing was more affordable, people of more varied backgrounds were able to own property there.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
Australia, particularly Perth and parts of Sydney, are rammed full of chavvy types.

I'd recommend Melbourne if you go there - you'll be least embarrassed by the antics of your compatriots.

One thing about London - the outer towns and M25 orbital has the highest density of chavs in the country, but in more central parts you NEVER see any. I live in Muswell Hill and work in Marylebone and I have not seen a chav for years.

Not Chavs: Bogans!...

HOLA444

Sorry old chap, you obviously never visit London chav-haunts such as Battersea, Hackney - and the ex-home of Britain's most famous living or dead chav(ette) Jade Goody is full of them and right next to London Bridge: Bermondsey. That's just for starters - don't forget Ian Beale's cafe in Walford.

HOLA445
Sorry old chap, you obviously never visit London chav-haunts such as Battersea, Hackney - and the ex-home of Britain's most famous living or dead chav(ette) Jade Goody is full of them and right next to London Bridge: Bermondsey. That's just for starters - don't forget Ian Beale's cafe in Walford.

Now I'm starting to feel quite nauseous.

HOLA446

Marylebone? Just cross the Marylebone Road to Lisson Grove.

HOLA447
I am in the lucky position of working from home and am I able to move to just about anywhere with my family. Having opened up the search though there are so many places to choose from we now really can't decide.

We are looking for a house that is ideally detached with garden and has 3/4 beds. We can probably afford MAX about £280,000-£300,000 at current prices and we're hoping they'll be down another 15-20% over the next year anyway.

We're currently in Brighton and while it is great it is stupidly expensive. We'd probably prefer a more rural location as well and we'd need a good school close for the children. I also doubt, but I could be persuaded, that we want to go too far north...

I'd really like some of your views on this! So if you know of a great idyll then let us know. Favourites so far are Bridport area in Dorset, south Devon, or possibly Hereforshire.

Oh and we'd love to avoid the chavs!

Bridport is a good call. Look at Dorchester and surrounding villages too. The good news about Dorchester is the schools which are fantastic, from bottom to top. It also has the benefit of having the faciities of a county town, in a small and friendly town. It is also not to far from the rest of civilization.

HOLA448
No chance.

Try another country.

Sadly, they get everywhere.

The number of tattooed, beer-swilling, sunburned unsavouries that have bought holiday homes in previously idyllic parts of Cyprus, for instance, is deeply worrying...particularly as I plan to retire there.

HOLA449
Bridport is a good call. Look at Dorchester and surrounding villages too. The good news about Dorchester is the schools which are fantastic, from bottom to top. It also has the benefit of having the faciities of a county town, in a small and friendly town. It is also not to far from the rest of civilization.

I'm trying to keep the area relatively quiet but why not try East Leicestershire. Rolling hills and friendly locals, good access to Nottingham/Leicester/Northampton/London and nice local towns and stuff to do and good schools both state and private.

But most importantly hardly anyone from London. It's The Cotswolds without the C#n]s.

HOLA4410

I was in Dorchester recently and I am sure there were chavs there too.

HOLA4411

There are no chavs in my village because they can't afford to live there. Actually, thinking about it. there are one or two. They live in rented council houses and, strangely, are next door to one another and their gardens are refuse tips. Luckily, they are nowhere near me.

Wherever there are rented council housing, there will be chavs living there and every village in the country has some kind of local authority housing doesn't it? I guess some chavs are better than others, but at the end of the day, they still all behave, talk, act and look the same way.

Edited by tplatt

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
The only town in England (might even be the UK) that has never had a McD's is Buxton, Derbyshire.

They do however have a small KFC...

There is McDemand though...

'when are you going to open a restaurant in buxton, derbyshire? all we have is kfc an its rubbish!':

http://www.makeupyourownmind.co.uk/questions/5707

McDonalds has an active acquisition programme and is looking for new sites in a number of locations. At the moment the company does not have a specific plan for Buxton, but should a suitable opportunity arise, the company would consider it fully.

HOLA4415

I've stated before on here, unless you want to pay over the odds for property you'll never escape the chavs, I have found, for me, the most ideal place, not a chav in sight in any lingo, that place is A............. I can't say, I honestly don't want too many ex pats there, that's how crap this country is!

HOLA4416
I've stated before on here, unless you want to pay over the odds for property you'll never escape the chavs, I have found, for me, the most ideal place, not a chav in sight in any lingo, that place is A............. I can't say, I honestly don't want too many ex pats there, that's how crap this country is!

Andover? The land that time forgot.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
The problem with Dorchester, is that Weymouth is next door. Most people have to go Weymouth for a decent night out (which in the summer is chav central). I really like Dorchester, but it's a bit snobby.

You cant really have it all ways

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
Guest happy?
What is a chav...to be truthful I can't recall ever knowing/meeting one...does that mean I am fortunate or am I missing out?

It's a sort of nasty, brutish, ugly kind of creature who values their own opinions, ideas, and manners above others. It also glories in that attitude, taking a perverse sort of pleasure in its defiance of norms.

HPC basically is chav-central.

Edited by happy?

HOLA4422
What is a chav...to be truthful I can't recall ever knowing/meeting one...does that mean I am fortunate or am I missing out?

Chavs are generally rude and thuggish. They dress badly and even though their clothes are often expensive. They would not know how to behave at a social occasion and are likely to start a fight in a taxi queue.

Here is a typical older chav couple:

security200707_468x586.jpg

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
All way West from 'The Hams' to Colyton/Colyford near Seaton. Also looked up as far as tiverton but the schools near there weren't all that good. Great grammar near Colyton. Also Poole area has a surprising selection of good schools, Bruton too. We're selling up here and renting next to a good school before we go and look for a plot of land somewhere near one of these places. I like the Hams the best, with one of the best beaches in the UK nearby. friend moved down to Devon from South east a few years back and loves it, he actually looks healthier from less stress and the kids are doing well.

Bruton is very pretty, and very quiet. Castle Cary is picturesque, but the last time I was there the sound of jet planes was deafening. I love the idea of North Devon or the Quantocks, but they are a bit isolated.

HOLA4425

Andorra? Unfortunately there are several chavs there too now...