House Price Crash Forum

Best Place In The Uk To Move To

Guest The Relaxation Suite

There are no towns in Britain with no chavs. Britain is a country of chavs. That's what it is. I say this because even the most beautiful Cotswold villages I know are ruined by chavs. Every town has them because of housing association policy. If you want to live somewhere without chavs then you need to live in a house in the middle of 15 acres and get your shopping delievered to your door. Or leave Britain. Oh and here's the thing - this chav culture happened under the good times - imagine how muxh worse their behaviour is going to get in the depression.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In general anywhere in a deep rural area will have priced out the local young/chav population and therefore should be safe. Also need to be away from trendy locations for Londoners for true value. For my money Shropshire, North Wales, North Lancashire, offers an arc just beyond those areas traditionally considered acceptable to metropolitan types.

Long may it continue.

There are no towns in Britain with no chavs. Britain is a country of chavs. That's what it is. I say this because even the most beautiful Cotswold villages I know are ruined by chavs. Every town has them because of housing association policy. If you want to live somewhere without chavs then you need to live in a house in the middle of 15 acres and get your shopping delievered to your door. Or leave Britain. Oh and here's the thing - this chav culture happened under the good times - imagine how muxh worse their behaviour is going to get in the depression.

'Scuse me but in Scotland we don't have chavs: we have neds. I'm in Australia just now and we have BOGANS here; quite descriptive I think.

The main problem with Bridport is with the holiday chav element that parade along the south coast, all the way to Weymouth and Bournemouth. They litter the numberous camp and caravan sites in areas such as West Bay and Burton Bradstock towards Bowlease Cove in Weymouth. Many of them are loud, gobby northerners (i'm sorry to say). It can be quite horrendous during the summer.

I would perhaps move slightly along Chesil beach, and look at somewhere like Abbotsbury. Otherwise, look inland, such as Montacute, Cerne Abbas, South Cadbury or Dorchester - the prices in Poundbury are truly ridiculous.

Gillingham (the Dorset version) has expanded massively over a relative short period of time, and I hear that it will expand at quite a fast rate over the next few years. However, I remember reading about the problems they have chavs, in a local newspaper a week or so ago. I think the council want to close the only nightclub in the area, down because the natives are so "lively".

Shitn'smellit is very strange place. Although (I cant believe I'm saying it) its going to be quite a hotspot in the next couple of years. I think the council have done a deal with Bristol Uni, where it has agreed to host a few few degree courses. This should bring more students into the area, as I think its got a well known theatre / dance hall.

Somerset & Dorset are fantastic places to live, and I would encourage anyone to move down here (well, perhaps not to Chard - or Bridgwater).

We have the distinction of having had a McDs open (against local opposition) then close down due apparently to lack of trade. And that was before the "credit crunch"!

They're now building a new Lidl on a site that includes the former mcnasties. Now that's a shop I welcome!

Every Lidl helps.

Use half the money to buy a house and a few acres in France. Better weather, def no chavs and you can work from home and have money in the bank.

You're kidding. France has les chaves too.

To be fair, if you're rural there's not so many, and they are more spread out (outside of the paris rioting that it's now illegal to report), but they're definitely there. Besides, if you're rural you'll have other problems. Plus you have to avoid the far right if your a blightysider. It's no idyll.

I am in the lucky position of working from home and am I able to move to just about anywhere with my family. Having opened up the search though there are so many places to choose from we now really can't decide.

We are looking for a house that is ideally detached with garden and has 3/4 beds. We can probably afford MAX about £280,000-£300,000 at current prices and we're hoping they'll be down another 15-20% over the next year anyway.

We're currently in Brighton and while it is great it is stupidly expensive. We'd probably prefer a more rural location as well and we'd need a good school close for the children. I also doubt, but I could be persuaded, that we want to go too far north...

I'd really like some of your views on this! So if you know of a great idyll then let us know. Favourites so far are Bridport area in Dorset, south Devon, or possibly Hereforshire.

Oh and we'd love to avoid the chavs!

I often feel that the word chav is a socially acceptable word for poor people. In this context your question highlights an interesting perspective. Areas with low public transport links would be an advantage if trying to avoid the poor.

FH

You're kidding. France has les chaves too.

To be fair, if you're rural there's not so many, and they are more spread out (outside of the paris rioting that it's now illegal to report), but they're definitely there. Besides, if you're rural you'll have other problems. Plus you have to avoid the far right if your a blightysider. It's no idyll.

No Chavs where I am in Rural France and a house with land for less than a 2 bed UK shoebox. As for the far right, never experienced anything other than friendly helpful people where I am (except for the usual French 'customer service' in shops). Do you speak from personal experience?

Guest The Relaxation Suite
I would have recommended my old town Eastbourne which used to be a lovely gentile retirement town until I read this last year. :o

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/...ticle860316.ece

And this...

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/2199108.cha..._booze_rampage/

So pleased I left.

Love those links. My old town had a lot of filth like this in it - and that was in the rolling green pastures of the Cotswolds. I think coppers should have the legal right to give people like this a proper beating right front of their mates. I guess that would be the end of "chav gangstas" in an instant.

Edited by D-503
We have the distinction of having had a McDs open (against local opposition) then close down due apparently to lack of trade. And that was before the "credit crunch"!

They're now building a new Lidl on a site that includes the former mcnasties. Now that's a shop I welcome!

Bloody hell, where ever you live, I salute your townspeople. That surely is an unprecedented phenomenon?

Indeed. 7 bedrooms, 18 acres, outbuildings for "around 240K"

http://www.d-s-r.co.uk/property/rocklea.htm

The school is an unusual one - hopefully the secondary department is still open as it was threatened with closure in 2004:

Smallest school escapes closure

Otherwise it seems fine:

2005 Inspector's report

Perhaps more realistically, some of the other islands in Shetland offer some reasonable value with easier access to other amenities but it's a very different way of life. It lacks chavishness and has little in the way of benefit dependency. Indeed, the local work ethic is extreme compared to much of the UK. Unemployment is currently 2.4%.

A 4 bed detached on Britain's most northerly island for £69K

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...62%26index%3D10

It was built by the MOD to a high standard so it's practically bomb (and gail) proof.

As for schooling, you could pay a teacher to come in and home-teach your kids with the money you'd save on housing.

Edited by Von Moses
I thought CHAV was an abbreviation of Council House And Van? In which case they wouldn't generally buy a house :rolleyes:.

Re the OPs question - are you limiting yourself to the south-west corner of England only? That would cut down your options somewhat. Especially with 'only' £300k to play with.

I'm fairly sure that "chav(ie)" is Romany Gipsy for "boy" - the the same way that "mush" means "man".

And yes, there isn't really anywhere to escape them.

Otherwise lovely market towns in Herefordshire are among the worst - there's just nothing for them to do other than blow and mischief!

Sometime home of Mr and Mrs Bovey, Mr and Mrs(?) Chris Evans, etc etc.....

Hello! central, I think.

Granted, if you could cull all the annoying c8nts who live there, it would otherwise be charmning place to live.

Hehehe

Genocide would be required if this plan was implimented across the country

chav_mum_birthday_card.jpg

Sevenoaks, Woldingham, Tunbridge Wells, Frant, Seal all report low density of chave per 1,000.

Woldingham is just about to lose the queen of Chav, Her Royal Highness Princess Katie of Price (value of nothing). Woldingham has been slightly plagued by flocks of the greater spotted young Chav seen cruising around in a Vauxhall Chaviler, Subaru Impress-her looking for glimpses of their Queen. Their distinctive Burberry plumage makes them easily identifiable against the backdrop of green foliage of the Surrey Hills. More at home in the suburban shopping centres.

:lol: Funnily enough we visited Tunbridge Wells yesterday and I was struck by how thin most people were. A sure sign of a chav area is lots of obese people around, as posh/educated/professional folks are generally fit and thin. It was a real pleasure to see thin or slim girls once again, like being in Paris. Obviously some of the shop assistants looked like they needed a couple of months in fat-boot camps but the customers were mainly OK.

So when doing your research use the visual thin/obese measure as you watch the locals - too many Turkey Twizzler-eaters and you are best off choosing another area.

I am in the lucky position of working from home and am I able to move to just about anywhere with my family. Having opened up the search though there are so many places to choose from we now really can't decide.

We are looking for a house that is ideally detached with garden and has 3/4 beds. We can probably afford MAX about £280,000-£300,000 at current prices and we're hoping they'll be down another 15-20% over the next year anyway.

We're currently in Brighton and while it is great it is stupidly expensive. We'd probably prefer a more rural location as well and we'd need a good school close for the children. I also doubt, but I could be persuaded, that we want to go too far north...

I'd really like some of your views on this! So if you know of a great idyll then let us know. Favourites so far are Bridport area in Dorset, south Devon, or possibly Hereforshire.

Oh and we'd love to avoid the chavs!

South Devon have cracking schools and the prices are coming right down. we're moving once we've sold our houses round here.

Bloody hell, where ever you live, I salute your townspeople. That surely is an unprecedented phenomenon?

For years, Hampstead in north London resisted McD's and in the end it was only allowed to open by having a 'tasteful' faux-arts-nouveau frontage. At the peak of the controversy, I remember hearing some Capital radio type deejay being utterly bewildered as to why people would not want this chav magnet in their high street.

:lol: Funnily enough we visited Tunbridge Wells yesterday and I was struck by how thin most people were. A sure sign of a chav area is lots of obese people around, as posh/educated/professional folks are generally fit and thin. It was a real pleasure to see thin or slim girls once again, like being in Paris. Obviously some of the shop assistants looked like they needed a couple of months in fat-boot camps but the customers were mainly OK.

So when doing your research use the visual thin/obese measure as you watch the locals - too many Turkey Twizzler-eaters and you are best off choosing another area.

Have you ever had the pleasure of Tunbridge Wells on a Friday evening, though? There is often blood on the pavement in the Pantiles. It is as bad as any other town of it's size.

As far as nightlife goes, I don't think that there is anywhere that is chav free in the SE any more. There was quite a lot of trouble in Weybridge when I was out there last time, and if it can happen there.....

Of course, any of these places will be fine if you live a reasonable distance from the town centre and don't want to go out there in the evenings.