House Price Crash Forum

Best Place In The Uk To Move To

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No Chavs where I am in Rural France and a house with land for less than a 2 bed UK shoebox. As for the far right, never experienced anything other than friendly helpful people where I am (except for the usual French 'customer service' in shops). Do you speak from personal experience?

There's still hope then. Mainly talking from experience in semi urban France (re: the Chavs - Paris is... Paris & Cote D'azur's not that short of them) & in Haute Savoie for the far right. Have come across quite a few poltical "extremists" in the corridor from the ski resorts to Annecy. Presumably they are (rightly?) annoyed at the British immigrants.. I do know of a couple in the southwest who are unable to leave their house (chateau) for fear of it being vandalised, again. Although, they might not be very nice people.

To be honest though I was over egging it. In general I agree with you. Although I don't live in France anymore, if I were returning to Europe that's where I'd head. Things still work there. Life can still be good. I'd just struggle to become fluent enough to be truly at home. Working on it though. Failing that I'd aim for Dorset, Norfolk, Suffolk, or maybe Devon. The home counties just seem soulless voids to me. Commuter baracks. And I lived in them for 15 years. Cotswolds might be nice, but then you have to live near Clarkson.

All in all I think it's because Britain is basically suburban now. There is very little village/rural life left that isn't holiday homes. And on a Friday night all suburban style towns are Staineslike Chavsville (I lived there too).

Please don't move north of Watford.

It's totally over-run with chavs wherever you go. Houses are outrageously expensive, council taxes are ridiculous, there are no jobs and the scenery is rubbish.

Stick to the South.

Hope that helps.

There's still hope then. Mainly talking from experience in semi urban France (re: the Chavs - Paris is... Paris & Cote D'azur's not that short of them) & in Haute Savoie for the far right. Have come across quite a few poltical "extremists" in the corridor from the ski resorts to Annecy. Presumably they are (rightly?) annoyed at the British immigrants.. I do know of a couple in the southwest who are unable to leave their house (chateau) for fear of it being vandalised, again. Although, they might not be very nice people.

To be honest though I was over egging it. In general I agree with you. Although I don't live in France anymore, if I were returning to Europe that's where I'd head. Things still work there. Life can still be good. I'd just struggle to become fluent enough to be truly at home. Working on it though. Failing that I'd aim for Dorset, Norfolk, Suffolk, or maybe Devon. The home counties just seem soulless voids to me. Commuter baracks. And I lived in them for 15 years. Cotswolds might be nice, but then you have to live near Clarkson.

All in all I think it's because Britain is basically suburban now. There is very little village/rural life left that isn't holiday homes. And on a Friday night all suburban style towns are Staineslike Chavsville (I lived there too).

man the chilterns are where its at, zero chavolas.

BGe careful not to just end up in a place which is in fact populated with moneyed chavs. They don't look like chavs, live in chav-holes, or have chav cars, quite the opposite, but when they open their mouths, park on double yellows or crossings and shout at their kids, you realise they are ninja-chavs. :ph34r:

TFH

As Chavs are white, why don't you move to any area like Tower Hamlets, or perhaps Harlesden, in your efforts to avoid them?

Are they though? I think there's been a lot of debate at chavscum.co.uk about this. I don't think it's restricted to one race; asian 'bangra-muffin' types and black 'rude-bwoy' characters are really just a variant on the chav, and in fact a lot of chav 'culture' comes from west indian gangstas anyway.

But that said, London is actually fairly chav (of all races) free in a lot of places.

A 4 bed detached on Britain's most northerly island for £69K

It was built by the MOD to a high standard so it's practically bomb (and gail) proof.

Who's Gail? :blink:

The funny thing to me is that the OP wants to move away from Brighton, bleedin' great place. But my advice would be around Bath, wonderful place to live.

I notice some people have mentioned houses in Scotland.

I started renting here in 2008 and as time goes on am thinking it wasn't a good move.

For one thing in some areas prices rose more up here than anywhere in the UK and rurally they have not dropped at all. I am seeing houses sold in 2007 come on the market now for even more.

If you intend to live up here don't forget to factor in other expenses.

1) Rurally no gas and the costs of using heating oil is horrendous.

2) If you are only near a small town food prices are higher because there is less competition as you have no supermarkets

3) Everything seems far away and so petrol costs mount up and that will get worse when petrol goes up

4) Depending where you are if you buy things via the internet you have extra delivery costs

5) Big ticket items such as car dealers aren't plentiful so prices are higher

It is definitely much colder up here so you need more heating. The winters are long and dark. Broadband availability is much worse than I realised. Our rental is OK but I have seen lots of houses for sale that were useless for broadband.

Keep the suggestions of somewhere else coming....

Guest skullingtonjoe
As Chavs are white, why don't you move to any area like Tower Hamlets, or perhaps Harlesden, in your efforts to avoid them?

Sigh...

How do you explain the `Chavinder` phenomenon then? :rolleyes:;)

The Isle Of Anglesey- that amount of money can get you alot , and I had the best childhood ever growing up here.

The beaches are gorgeous, mountains, rivers and lakes not far to get to and you meet loads of people and the crime is next to nothing where I live.

loz

I am in the lucky position of working from home and am I able to move to just about anywhere with my family. Having opened up the search though there are so many places to choose from we now really can't decide.

We are looking for a house that is ideally detached with garden and has 3/4 beds. We can probably afford MAX about £280,000-£300,000 at current prices and we're hoping they'll be down another 15-20% over the next year anyway.

We're currently in Brighton and while it is great it is stupidly expensive. We'd probably prefer a more rural location as well and we'd need a good school close for the children. I also doubt, but I could be persuaded, that we want to go too far north...

I'd really like some of your views on this! So if you know of a great idyll then let us know. Favourites so far are Bridport area in Dorset, south Devon, or possibly Hereforshire.

Oh and we'd love to avoid the chavs!

Brighton is the best place in the UK...no doubt about it.

Guest skullingtonjoe
So some wag has humorously extended the idea to other races. That doesn't change the fact that Chav is a white phenomena, does it?

That depends really. Can chav-like behaviour be attributed only to whites? (which sounds like racism).

If you go to Cowley Road, Oxford, you`ll find quite a few asian `yoofs` who are anti-social little skankers (most of them are Ali G wannabes). Most of them are claiming benefit and selling drugs - which seems pretty chavvy, which in turn means that `Chavinder` is a fitting label.

Otherwise how can we classify asian chavs? It seems like the best fit in a less-than-ideal situation.

Indeed. 7 bedrooms, 18 acres, outbuildings for "around 240K"

http://www.d-s-r.co.uk/property/rocklea.htm

The school is an unusual one - hopefully the secondary department is still open as it was threatened with closure in 2004:

Smallest school escapes closure

Otherwise it seems fine:

2005 Inspector's report

Perhaps more realistically, some of the other islands in Shetland offer some reasonable value with easier access to other amenities but it's a very different way of life. It lacks chavishness and has little in the way of benefit dependency. Indeed, the local work ethic is extreme compared to much of the UK. Unemployment is currently 2.4%.

I work with an Engineer from Lerwick who tells me that the town is pretty much Chav central - also has a huge heroin problem apparently ...

Indeed. 7 bedrooms, 18 acres, outbuildings for "around 240K"

http://www.d-s-r.co.uk/property/rocklea.htm

The school is an unusual one - hopefully the secondary department is still open as it was threatened with closure in 2004:

Smallest school escapes closure

Otherwise it seems fine:

2005 Inspector's report

Perhaps more realistically, some of the other islands in Shetland offer some reasonable value with easier access to other amenities but it's a very different way of life. It lacks chavishness and has little in the way of benefit dependency. Indeed, the local work ethic is extreme compared to much of the UK. Unemployment is currently 2.4%.

I work with an Engineer from Lerwick who tells me that the town is pretty much Chav central - also has a huge heroin problem apparently ...

Lots of chavs in Herefordshire - home grown variety who were too thick to leave the countryside and find work elsewhere. Most of them don't have work so are impoverished chavs.

Problem with Herefordshire is that the place either comprises old money or chavs - there is a very small middle class of whom the vast majority are retirees.

Abundance of chavs in North Herefordshire too - went for a drink in Bromyard one Saturday night recently and it was very scary in the pub - full of young thicko aggressive chavs - plenty on weekend evenings in Leominster too - taking pop shots at the Eastern Europeans brought in to do agricultural work.

I would go the McD's site and look for areas where they have no branches.

I'll save you the bother. The only town in England (might even be the UK) that has never had a McD's is Buxton, Derbyshire.

They do however have a small KFC...

Edited by mitchbux

Almost no chavs in Crouch End/Muswell Hill / Highgate I have to say, but if North London ain't your thing...

You'd be surprised how much trouble there is the countryside. Herefordshire, for example, has a big heroin problem, notably in Leominster and Hereford. THere are more smack addicts per head in leominster than in Birmingham.

The problem in a lot of rural areas is that there is no work for the old working classes. The middle classes go to public school or work elsewhere, the rest are left to rot.

However, I can second Shropshire. Shrewsbury, Ludlow and Bridgnorth are thre eof the prettiest and most pleasant towns in the country.

If you're in Brighton, how about lewes? Seemed extremely civilised there.

Edited by River Man

Holy Schmolly 7 pages of advice and laughter. Thanks it is much appreciated. Now if someone will give a self-employed person with some dodgy accounts a mortgage I'll get on the case! Eek.

Oh, and in spite of the chavs, I do like Brighton, the issue is the cost. We're currently renting somewhere and to buy in a similar location would be about £340k and that's for a 3 bed terraced. We can get the same in other Brighton areas for sub £300k but it really is a toss up between that and something more substantial with a nice garden elsewhere.