House Price Crash Forum

Best Place In The Uk To Move To

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in the lucky position of working from home and am I able to move to just about anywhere with my family. Having opened up the search though there are so many places to choose from we now really can't decide.

We are looking for a house that is ideally detached with garden and has 3/4 beds. We can probably afford MAX about £280,000-£300,000 at current prices and we're hoping they'll be down another 15-20% over the next year anyway.

We're currently in Brighton and while it is great it is stupidly expensive. We'd probably prefer a more rural location as well and we'd need a good school close for the children. I also doubt, but I could be persuaded, that we want to go too far north...

I'd really like some of your views on this! So if you know of a great idyll then let us know. Favourites so far are Bridport area in Dorset, south Devon, or possibly Hereforshire.

Oh and we'd love to avoid the chavs!

How old are the kids?

We live in Brighton and London (I know...pls don't be mean to me) and teen daughter would 'just die' if we moved her to Bridport. I understand the school issues though.

On a serious note, good friend left SE London a in 2004 specifically for 'No Chav environment' and secondary school reasons. They moved to Gillingham Dorset and benefitted from cheaper house prices BUT have lost out as wages far far lower and she feels the area is 'Dead End' (her words) for young people leaving school.

Teens have very little to do and the town is tiny. You have to drive everywhere all the time.

Youngest loves it as she was only 5 when they moved. She also lost her SELondon accent and has SW one now.

Her Hubby would move back tomorrow, but the gap in houseprices means they are stuck. He used to be London Blk Cabby and really misses it.

My oldest friend sold flat in N London a few years back and relocated to Bridport and set up a business that ticks over. Apart from during the summer, when all the chi chi types spend time in their second homes, it is mainly full of old people and a few young mums.

Again, not a lot for teens to do.

Problem with bored teens is they get up to stuff YKWIM? Rather, more stuff than normal for teens.

Cumbria

If only that were true...

most of it is empty and you won't get permission to build on it

The majority of the population is crammed round the edge into dead or dying mining/industrial towns propped up by the nuclear industry - barrow, millom, egremont, cleator moor, whitehaven, workington, distington, maryport - these places make grown men weep in fear.

Perhaps Cockermouth or Keswick lakey-district wise but even they have their council estates you know - and are literally village sized in southern terms

The M6 corridor offers a better prospect, Carlisle's ok, not spectacular, certainly not chav-free, but better than your average northern town, Penrith is okish and Kendal is probably the best out of the lot from what I've heard.

Edited by noodle doodle

On that price budget you are going to be struggling, to get anything 'nice' and rural - as that's the only way to avoid chavs tbh.

Look at some of the Midlands Counties and Northern Counties if location isn't any issue, your money will go farther generally but the best areas e.g. the areas with the best of the best schools will be out of your price range for anything more than a semi.

If you must live by the coast especially look at North Yorkshire, some of the coastal villages are good value, although you wont have much school choice due only one local school more than likely.

Edited by conflict

North Norfolk is lovely, largely chav-free* and an area of outstanding natural beauty. House prices have come down and plenty of the geriatrics keel over on a regular basis leaving their nice 3-4 bed detached homes with large gardens for sale with no chain and hungry beneficiaries willing to take offers for a quick cash sale. £300k will get you a really nice place with large gardens, or an older brick and flint victorian cottage with less land. Might need some minor modernisation for that price as often the deceased did nothing since the 70s, but trademen are cheap enough.

* the chav-no entry zone extends from a couple miles east of Hunstanton across to a couple miles west of Mundesley, down to Holt, in a wide triangle shape.

forget Herefordshire - it is old money and not that cheap - move up a bit Northwards to South Shropshire - Ludlow and surrounding countryside is unspoilt. Ludlow has decent rail links (on Manchester-Cardiff line) and a good atmosphere for a small place :rolleyes: You could get a modern 4 bed detached in a nice area for your 300K

Edited by olliegog
Have you thought about Chatham in Kent?

i used to live there. moved to thamesmead. i'm looking at moving again in the beginning of 2010. haven't decided where to move yet, but i have a knack of moving to areas that were ok when i move there, but soon turn into cesspits.

even thought it was me at one point.

Guest Skinty
Ardnamurchan Point, Western Highlands.

definately no chavs......

not much else either !

ajax

Three hours drive via a very windy single track road to the most westerly point on the UK mainland. Personally I found it all very appealing and I remember thinking that it would be a nice place to live, being an anti-social hermit by nature. But my partner was so traumatised by the drive there that we returned instead via a ferry from Kilchoan to Mull to Oban.

North Norfolk is lovely, largely chav-free* and an area of outstanding natural beauty. House prices have come down and plenty of the geriatrics keel over on a regular basis leaving their nice 3-4 bed detached homes with large gardens for sale with no chain and hungry beneficiaries willing to take offers for a quick cash sale. £300k will get you a really nice place with large gardens, or an older brick and flint victorian cottage with less land. Might need some minor modernisation for that price as often the deceased did nothing since the 70s, but trademen are cheap enough.

* the chav-no entry zone extends from a couple miles east of Hunstanton across to a couple miles west of Mundesley, down to Holt, in a wide triangle shape.

Agreed, for your price range would be quite suitable.

forget Herefordshire - it is old money and not that cheap - move up a bit Northwards to South Shropshire - Ludlow and surrounding countryside is unspoilt. Ludlow has decent rail links (on Manchester-Cardiff line) and a good atmosphere for a small place :rolleyes: You could get a modern 4 bed detached in a nice area for your 300K

Yep. Here's the answer.

My work has sent me all over the UK over the last ten years, and Shropshire is a well kept secret. Don't tell everyone though...

Have you thought about the Shetland Isles?

Indeed. 7 bedrooms, 18 acres, outbuildings for "around 240K"

http://www.d-s-r.co.uk/property/rocklea.htm

The school is an unusual one - hopefully the secondary department is still open as it was threatened with closure in 2004:

Smallest school escapes closure

Otherwise it seems fine:

2005 Inspector's report

Perhaps more realistically, some of the other islands in Shetland offer some reasonable value with easier access to other amenities but it's a very different way of life. It lacks chavishness and has little in the way of benefit dependency. Indeed, the local work ethic is extreme compared to much of the UK. Unemployment is currently 2.4%.

chav_mum_birthday_card.jpg

Sevenoaks, Woldingham, Tunbridge Wells, Frant, Seal all report low density of chave per 1,000.

Woldingham is just about to lose the queen of Chav, Her Royal Highness Princess Katie of Price (value of nothing). Woldingham has been slightly plagued by flocks of the greater spotted young Chav seen cruising around in a Vauxhall Chaviler, Subaru Impress-her looking for glimpses of their Queen. Their distinctive Burberry plumage makes them easily identifiable against the backdrop of green foliage of the Surrey Hills. More at home in the suburban shopping centres.

chav_mum_birthday_card.jpg

post-5281-1250550473_thumb.jpg

post-5281-1250550534_thumb.jpg

Edited by numpty
i used to live there. moved to thamesmead. i'm looking at moving again in the beginning of 2010. haven't decided where to move yet, but i have a knack of moving to areas that were ok when i move there, but soon turn into cesspits.

even thought it was me at one point.

when exactly did you move to Thamesmead?

I am in the lucky position of working from home and am I able to move to just about anywhere with my family. Having opened up the search though there are so many places to choose from we now really can't decide.

We are looking for a house that is ideally detached with garden and has 3/4 beds. We can probably afford MAX about £280,000-£300,000 at current prices and we're hoping they'll be down another 15-20% over the next year anyway.

We're currently in Brighton and while it is great it is stupidly expensive. We'd probably prefer a more rural location as well and we'd need a good school close for the children. I also doubt, but I could be persuaded, that we want to go too far north...

I'd really like some of your views on this! So if you know of a great idyll then let us know. Favourites so far are Bridport area in Dorset, south Devon, or possibly Hereforshire.

Oh and we'd love to avoid the chavs!

why not become a chav. everyone else will then seem ok and you can live wherever you want.

try it for a weekend, give it a go.

Beverley is a lovely town. It was relatively chav free (most of the chavs seemed to be confined to Hull and its enormous council estates), the local council is also snobby enough to not allow fast food chains into the town center.

House prices weren't as obscene as other parts of the country too - its been recognized for its reasonable cost of living vs quality of life. Scarborough is a short drive away and Hull is within reach for shopping and for taking weekend cruises to the continent.

If I returned to the UK, I'd move to Beverley.

and it has decent schools..

Edited by Quagmire
Beverley is a lovely town. It was relatively chav free (most of the chavs seemed to be confined to Hull and its enormous council estates), the local council is also snobby enough to not allow fast food chains into the town center.

House prices weren't as obscene as other parts of the country too - its been recognized for its reasonable cost of living vs quality of life. Scarborough is a short drive away and Hull is within reach for shopping and for taking weekend cruises to the continent.

If I returned to the UK, I'd move to Beverley.

and it has decent schools..

Is the average house price in the UK 182K? :blink::blink: fekked