House Price Crash Forum

Best Place In The Uk To Move To

I work with an Engineer from Lerwick who tells me that the town is pretty much Chav central - also has a huge heroin problem apparently ...

I've only passed through Lerwick in recent years but understand that your comment regarding heroin is true - an unfortunate side effect of deploying a sniffer dog at points of entry that recognises cannabis but not heroin appears to have been to increase the popularity of the later at the expense of the former.

Chav central seems a tad extreme for Lerwick though - I recently strolled through central Lerwick around lunchtime on a Saturday and didn't spot a single one (in fact it was curiously quiet).

Some places in Shetland are a 2 hour journey or more from Lerwick so the state of the town scarcely condemns the entire archipelago.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll save you the bother. The only town in England (might even be the UK) that has never had a McD's is Buxton, Derbyshire.

They do however have a small KFC...

.....that has a notice in the window saying groups of yoofs will be moved on. Loads of teens in Buxton with no jobs ,no money and nothing but nothing to do.

Holy Schmolly 7 pages of advice and laughter. Thanks it is much appreciated. Now if someone will give a self-employed person with some dodgy accounts a mortgage I'll get on the case! Eek.

Oh, and in spite of the chavs, I do like Brighton, the issue is the cost. We're currently renting somewhere and to buy in a similar location would be about £340k and that's for a 3 bed terraced. We can get the same in other Brighton areas for sub £300k but it really is a toss up between that and something more substantial with a nice garden elsewhere.

Brighton prices will come down but I think it is going to take a bit longer than other areas.

I am from SE London where we 'own' but we also rent in Brighton and similar space in the area we rent in would cost 4 times London house @ current 'values'.

Problem is all the school catchments and all the games the LEA play with peoples lives.

Depends on kids ages. If under 5, why not move and rent for 6 months to an area just to try it out? We did that in 2005 (as it was a work reason for moving) and best thing we ever did...esp as we didn't do some crazy MEW thingy as was suggested by an EA as 'Everyone is doing it'' so, we got to know the area much better.

My brother left SE London last year (2 small kids) for the same reasons (schools and chavs). Tried to sell but in the end, rented and upped sticks, rented a big house in Surrey (that he could no way afford to buy even if he had sold) but found out all the problems of getting into the good state schools etc.....stuff he had no idea about when he left.

Are they though? I think there's been a lot of debate at chavscum.co.uk about this. I don't think it's restricted to one race; asian 'bangra-muffin' types and black 'rude-bwoy' characters are really just a variant on the chav, and in fact a lot of chav 'culture' comes from west indian gangstas anyway.

But that said, London is actually fairly chav (of all races) free in a lot of places.

Indeed..the infiltration of the"bling" in black culture, in my eyes, is the same as a chav in white culture.

Interesting thread. What might be useful is a map of the UK with different colours showing concentration of chavs. A good start would be a weighted average based on for example:

- proportion of HA stock versus OO housing

- percentage of free school meals (IIRC the authorities use this as a measure of "disadvantage")

- distance from fast food outlets

- age of residents (older people generally have more respect for others)

- %age unemployment (or at least deviation from national average).

Most of this should be downloadable from National Statistics and other govt sites if the info can be extracted at postcode level. Anybody on this site good at Excel and some graphical mapping software?

just been in Canada for the last 3 1/2 weeks........

NO scaremongering on Swine Flu on the telly (not even mentioned)

NO government propoganda in almost every news item (they actually have GOOD NEWS stories....really!)

people are NICE to each other in a way the Brits wouldn't understand

oh, and the women are way fitter ! ;)

Whereabouts you looking? I've been labouring over whether I should move the kids to Somerset, Devon for a while now.

All way West from 'The Hams' to Colyton/Colyford near Seaton. Also looked up as far as tiverton but the schools near there weren't all that good. Great grammar near Colyton. Also Poole area has a surprising selection of good schools, Bruton too. We're selling up here and renting next to a good school before we go and look for a plot of land somewhere near one of these places. I like the Hams the best, with one of the best beaches in the UK nearby. friend moved down to Devon from South east a few years back and loves it, he actually looks healthier from less stress and the kids are doing well.

You could try the Cotswolds which is my patch beautiful countryside and villages etc.

The good news is its light on Chavs but the bad news is its full of the whinging moaning over indebted the world owes us all the favour of cheap food and designer clothes middle classes.

Ignorant arrogant and useless but still going mainly because they owe so much money which I have no doubt they will never be able to pay back.

You can spot these middle class types with their designer shabby chic clothes and over priced houses for sale and children with silly names.

Normally they would dissapear during the summer holidays on some Jet abroad unfortunately due to poor financial acumen they are now preaching to everyone about how great it is holidaying in the UK - something they would never have said a couple of years ago oh how times have changed.

I would steer clear if I were you - some chavs really aren't that bad.

I would have recommended my old town Eastbourne which used to be a lovely gentile retirement town until I read this last year. :o

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/...ticle860316.ece

And this...

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/2199108.cha..._booze_rampage/

So pleased I left.

It sort of makes you want to support Sharia law. Seriously; its time for local sheriffs, hard labour and birchings. I'm sick to the back teeth of reading about these and other morons. Where the hell is the country headed.

I am in the lucky position of working from home and am I able to move to just about anywhere with my family. Having opened up the search though there are so many places to choose from we now really can't decide.

We are looking for a house that is ideally detached with garden and has 3/4 beds. We can probably afford MAX about £280,000-£300,000 at current prices and we're hoping they'll be down another 15-20% over the next year anyway.

We're currently in Brighton and while it is great it is stupidly expensive. We'd probably prefer a more rural location as well and we'd need a good school close for the children. I also doubt, but I could be persuaded, that we want to go too far north...

I'd really like some of your views on this! So if you know of a great idyll then let us know. Favourites so far are Bridport area in Dorset, south Devon, or possibly Hereforshire.

Oh and we'd love to avoid the chavs!

How about Statford, East London? Following a certain two week sporting event in 2012 it will be magically transformed from the London equivalent of Helmand Province into Monte Carlo! Knife wielding criminals will put down their arms, start wearing cravattes and become investment banking experts, lawyers and consultant doctors. Ahmed's one bedroom council flat will become a luxury playboy penthouse and the Bottle in Face public house will be transformed into an exclusive nightclub frequented by A-list Hollywood celebrities.......all with a wave of the good wizard Kenneth Livingstone's magic wand and for the cost of a walnut whip for everyone!....and they all lived happily ever after!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Most town and cities have areas where there are no chavs, but your budget probably won't stretch to that.

Look abroad.

Don't they have ex-pat chavs abroad? I've seen them on telly - the ones that buy up the crap that no-one else wants and then complain two years later that they made a mistake!

Imagine moving to a nice place abroad and then visiting your neighbour and discovering they're a chav! :huh:

Chavs are everywhere even the nicest places will have them. My advise on where to live is one of the Canterbury villages. The high speed train link is on it's way, and you should be able to find a suitable house within budget. Canterbury also offers good shopping and is quite vibrant and the biggy if your off spring are bright enough which I am sure they are there are numerous grammar schools.

Don't they have ex-pat chavs abroad? I've seen them on telly - the ones that buy up the crap that no-one else wants and then complain two years later that they made a mistake!

Imagine moving to a nice place abroad and then visiting your neighbour and discovering they're a chav! :huh:

Loads in the Sunreader enclaves in coastal Spain and even some hill villages inland a bit. We were considering Spain but were put off by what we found. France has many Brits but tends to attract Brits who want to get away from al things British that attract chav types.

Yes, I have encountered them living in the Caribbean as well as SE Asia (eg Thailand is renowned for the sleazy-chavs). These are not the 17 year old baseball cap wearing track suited variety, rather the 30-40 something chavs, riddled with earings, tattoos and cigarettes (and that is just the men). They do just as they do at home - dodgy deals, dabble in light drugs and booze, insult foreigners, loutish behaviour. My guess is that they probably also claim UK benefits just as they do at home too - we knew one couple in the Caribbean who would pop back to the UK to give birth in a free & safe NHS hospital, claim for the child benefits then leave the claims running when returning to life abroad.

There is no escape from UK chavs unless you do what Branson did and buy your own island - or, live in some hell-hole where there is no pleasure only misery (eg Siberia, outer Mongolia etc).

That said, you can reduce the chances of meeting them too often by thoroughly researching your chosen locations before buying (renting would be a good way to do this)

Australia, particularly Perth and parts of Sydney, are rammed full of chavvy types.

I'd recommend Melbourne if you go there - you'll be least embarrassed by the antics of your compatriots.

One thing about London - the outer towns and M25 orbital has the highest density of chavs in the country, but in more central parts you NEVER see any. I live in Muswell Hill and work in Marylebone and I have not seen a chav for years.

Edited by River Man
Australia, particularly Perth and parts of Sydney, are rammed full of chavvy types.

I'd recommend Melbourne if you go there - you'll be least embarrassed by the antics of your compatriots.

One thing about London - the outer towns and M25 orbital has the highest density of chavs in the country, but in more central parts you NEVER see any. I live in Muswell Hill and work in Marylebone and I have not seen a chav for years.

Because they've been priced out of places like Muswell Hill.

Only the Upper Middle Classes and above can afford to buy family housing (not the 1/2 bed flats) there these days. Why MH feels a bit of a social ghetto to me, go back 30 years when family housing was more affordable, people of more varied backgrounds were able to own property there.