House Price Crash Forum
Zebra

Best Place In The Uk To Move To

I am in the lucky position of working from home and am I able to move to just about anywhere with my family. Having opened up the search though there are so many places to choose from we now really can't decide.

We are looking for a house that is ideally detached with garden and has 3/4 beds. We can probably afford MAX about £280,000-£300,000 at current prices and we're hoping they'll be down another 15-20% over the next year anyway.

We're currently in Brighton and while it is great it is stupidly expensive. We'd probably prefer a more rural location as well and we'd need a good school close for the children. I also doubt, but I could be persuaded, that we want to go too far north...

I'd really like some of your views on this! So if you know of a great idyll then let us know. Favourites so far are Bridport area in Dorset, south Devon, or possibly Hereforshire.

Oh and we'd love to avoid the chavs!

If I knew why would I tell anyone....wouldn't want to create a demand :P . Just to add, never listen to what others tell you, do your own research, book your weekend travel lodge room, walk and drive around the places you are interested in..talk to the butcher, baker and candlestick maker...it is your life you are living. ;)

Will you miss the sea? That would be my concern from moving where I am. Having said that there are some lovely places in Hampshire and West sussex which I wouldn't mind moving to.

No chance.

Try another country.

I have lived and worked all over South Devon, and I can tell you chavs are everywhere, from expensive Dartmouth to one foot in the grave Exmouth, the annoying little ba**erds are still around and breeding like rabbits. :(

Only 300k for a house, that's bordering on chav territory surely? :)

I thought CHAV was an abbreviation of Council House And Van? In which case they wouldn't generally buy a house :rolleyes:.

Re the OPs question - are you limiting yourself to the south-west corner of England only? That would cut down your options somewhat. Especially with 'only' £300k to play with.

No chance.

Try another country.

But are there not chavs in most of the western world, just called something different?

Maybe a non-western country?

I am in the lucky position of working from home and am I able to move to just about anywhere with my family. Having opened up the search though there are so many places to choose from we now really can't decide.

We are looking for a house that is ideally detached with garden and has 3/4 beds. We can probably afford MAX about £280,000-£300,000 at current prices and we're hoping they'll be down another 15-20% over the next year anyway.

We're currently in Brighton and while it is great it is stupidly expensive. We'd probably prefer a more rural location as well and we'd need a good school close for the children. I also doubt, but I could be persuaded, that we want to go too far north...

I'd really like some of your views on this! So if you know of a great idyll then let us know. Favourites so far are Bridport area in Dorset, south Devon, or possibly Hereforshire.

Wakefield or if you fancy somewhere really special, the Middlesborough's the place to be. I know I have lived in both. Also house prices will never drop in either of those places, in fact they are going up. :D

right then, that's my monthly humourous comment taken care of, back to apocalyptic armageddon TFH conspiracy theory doom-mongering.... ;)

I would go the McD's site and look for areas where they have no branches.

We have the distinction of having had a McDs open (against local opposition) then close down due apparently to lack of trade. And that was before the "credit crunch"!

They're now building a new Lidl on a site that includes the former mcnasties. Now that's a shop I welcome!

villages in north hampshire, low crime, low levels of unemployment, education is OK, countryside is great, reasonable access to good shopping towns and the sea. Prices are of course higher than other parts of the country but you can buy a decent place (not a palace though) for £300k.

I would go the McD's site and look for areas where they have no branches.

No McD's in Tavistock, it closed due to lack of business

Somewhere in the countryside... Inkberrow in Worcestershire seems quite nice. We bought some honey from an honesty box outside someones house last weekend, which I think is a good level of chav freeness

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...p;auction=false

Drive past this house, nice but it is on the main road in the village

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...auction%3Dfalse

The smaller and more remote and expensive the village, the less chavs

Edited by moosetea

Far be it from me to make assumptions about the OP, but if you enjoy Brighton, then you may well find Hereford, or indeed anywhere that rural, well, rather too rural. Hereford is quite a long way from anywhere, which is great if you like that. Great countryside, nice pubs, etc. But it is almost the opposite of Brighton in that it is anything but being up its own @rse. Having said that there is a lot of old money in Herefordshire, so maybe a relief from the new money in Brighton?

Having lived in Brighton for many years and worked in Whitehawk and Patcham I was very amused that you don't think Brighton is particularly Chavy. In my experience it is Chav central. Though nowadays some of them are BTLers....

Edit: too much Sherry.

Edited by bearwithasorehead

Somewhere in the countryside... Inkberrow in Worcestershire is quite nice. We bought some honey from an honesty box outside someones house last weekend, which I think is a good level of chav freeness

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...p;auction=false

Drive past this house, nice but it is on the main road in the village

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...auction%3Dfalse

I was driving through Inkberrow too recently and thinking it might be a nice place to move too. Also some nice villages in N Worcs - Bellbroughton, Clent, Holy Cross, Chaddsley Corbett

Use half the money to buy a house and a few acres in France. Better weather, def no chavs and you can work from home and have money in the bank.

Far be it from me to make assumptions about the OP, but if you enjoy Brighton, then you may well find Hereford, or indeed anywhere that rural, well, rather too rural. Hereford is quite a long way from anywhere, which is great if you like that. Great countryside, nice pubs, etc. But it is almost the opposite of Brighton in that it is anything but being up its own @rse. Having said that there is a lot of old money in Herefordshire, so maybe a relief from the new money in Brighton?

Having lived in Brighton for many years and worked in Whitehawk and Patcham I was very amused that you don't think Brighton is particularly Chavy. In my experience it is Chav central. Though nowadays some of them are BTLers....

Edit: too much Sherry.

I think hereford is a little chavy, but if you choose an isolated village in herefordshire/worcestershire you cant go wrong, you get much much cheaper prices with the lovely countryside loads of footpaths and no walkers.

Edited by moosetea