House Price Crash Forum

That's It - I Quit!

HOLA441

In 2005 Mrs Slumpmonkey and I started looking for a house in Coventry. Typical three bed terrace houses in crappy areas cost £125,000. We had a mortgage in principle - it was a three times combined salary one hundred per cent mortgage from Novern Crock. We found a house we wanted and nearly exchanged but pulled out when we learnt that the vendor had not disclosed that she did not have planning permisson for the extention. We carried on looking for other houses but then I became suspicious that a three bed house should not be "worth" six times my income and I came upon this site.

I became convinced that there had to be a HPC and I was not going to play the silly game of "getting on the housing ladder." I convinced Mrs Slumpmonkey to wait for the crash. She was sceptical at first but she stood by me when all our friends were jumping on the "housing ladder" in 2006 and 2007 with massive mortgages. We went to their house warmings and were constantly asked "when are you going to stop paying dead money" and other cliches - but we held firm.

Then in October 2007 Northern Rock collapsed and house prices started to dive. I was so happy and I felt vindicated. I was sure that the denial period would only be brief and I convinced the missus to hold out to Summer 2009 - 18 months after the first declines started.

However, I did not expect that the denial period would last so long and I never really expected that McStalin would bankrupt the country in order to stop his pyramid scam from collapsing.

18 months on and vendors are still asking £125,000 for crappy three bed terraces and McStalin has thrown everything but the kitchen sinks at his ponzi scheme to get re-elected. Furthermore, the media and the brain-washed masses are still massively in denial and it is obvious that the elite do not want people to buy sensible priced houses anytime soon.

IMO, Brown has everted a massive crash and he has opted for a long drawn out crash over a decade. The trouble is - I haven't got a decade to wait! It is with regret that I will have to deal with slimy EA's and greedy vendors in the Summer and we will have to buy. :(

We have a twenty five percent deposit on a £120,000 house and we fully expect to lose it over the next few years - but we have no choice (we can't put are lives on hold forever!)

I feel as if the last four years of my life have been wasted and I should have jumped on the ponzi scheme when I had the chance! THIS PROPERTY OBSSESSED COUNTRY STINKS!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
You should get at least 10% off what your friends have paid for their houses, be thankful for that at least and buy somewhere bigger enough for a baby or two because i doubt you'll be moving for a while.

Thanks for the advice. It's just so depressing! :( And the worse thing is we will have to deal with those weasal lying scumbag EA's again! :angry: :angry: :angry:

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
Thanks for the advice. It's just so depressing! :( And the worse thing is we will have to deal with those weasal lying scumbag EA's again! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Well funny you should mention that, by us somebody has set up a site where vendors pay a flat fee and they do the deal themselves, top idea.

It's gone under in less than 6 months so some people must like Ea's and maybe some do a good job, find one of those.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
You should get at least 10% off what your friends have paid for their houses

I'm in the market and I can assure you that 10% off the asking price is just the beginning. I'm waiting for 30% plus off peak 2007 prices. Not quite there yet but absolutely no problems getting 25% off.

And, odious as EA's usually are, if they sense the prospect of a sale they'll be absolutely on your side, trying to get the vendor to accept your 20-25% off offer, which will suddenly be "entirely reasonable in such a challenged market"

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

It is annoying. Indeed I regret not riding the Ponzi scheme over the last 10 years better. I thought it could collapse in 2001 and wondered why it didn't do so.

I still think it would still be a mistake to take on a big mortgage at the moment. Then again we all need a roof over our heads.

This has not been a good day for HPC admittedly. A few days ago I jokingly posted I reckoned on a 1.2% rise in House prices this month, little knowing I'd be almost right! :angry:

Edited by rover2000

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
I hope you are right, because I am committing to a 'hold' (off buying).

Well, if there are no significant wage increases, it's only going one way.

If wage inflation starts kicking off properly, then I'm in.

Or I might take the opportunity for a little wander.

HOLA4417
I'm in the market and I can assure you that 10% off the asking price is just the beginning. I'm waiting for 30% plus off peak 2007 prices. Not quite there yet but absolutely no problems getting 25% off.

And, odious as EA's usually are, if they sense the prospect of a sale they'll be absolutely on your side, trying to get the vendor to accept your 20-25% off offer, which will suddenly be "entirely reasonable in such a challenged market"

I wish you luck and hope you aren't too silver a surfer otherwise you might be dead before you see 30% off I fear

HOLA4418

Not been a good day for HPC? - look down the line a little. 3000 redundancies were announced on the news 5 minutes ago, and a lot more small ones that were not. Redundancies are tragedies for those involved, and everyone wishes they weren't occuring.

But regular news like that means house prices are only going one way - down.

HOLA4419

Snap out of it Slumpers!

The market has always behaved this way on its downward trajectory. It goes down then there is a moment of light quickly followed by more dark clouds.

Whats more, as the slump continues, there will be a wider and wider selection of houses to choose from, one that will suit you. You may not be able to wait until the market bottoms but at least wait until much more stuff finds its way into the market - then at least you may have over paid but you will be getting something you want.

Do not be fooled by this moment of 'light'.

HOLA4420
........................IMO, Brown has everted a massive crash and he has opted for a long drawn out crash over a decade. The trouble is - I haven't got a decade to wait! It is with regret that I will have to deal with slimy EA's and greedy vendors in the Summer and we will have to buy. :(

We have a twenty five percent deposit on a £120,000 house and we fully expect to lose it over the next few years - but we have no choice (we can't put are lives on hold forever!)

I feel as if the last four years of my life have been wasted and I should have jumped on the ponzi scheme when I had the chance! THIS PROPERTY OBSSESSED COUNTRY STINKS!

Stop panicking and get a grip, you muppet. Brown's not a miracle worker, he's a bullshitter. You can't buck the market and neither can he.

HOLA4421
In 2005 Mrs Slumpmonkey and I started looking for a house in Coventry. Typical three bed terrace houses in crappy areas cost £125,000. We had a mortgage in principle - it was a three times combined salary one hundred per cent mortgage from Novern Crock. We found a house we wanted and nearly exchanged but pulled out when we learnt that the vendor had not disclosed that she did not have planning permisson for the extention. We carried on looking for other houses but then I became suspicious that a three bed house should not be "worth" six times my income and I came upon this site.

I became convinced that there had to be a HPC and I was not going to play the silly game of "getting on the housing ladder." I convinced Mrs Slumpmonkey to wait for the crash. She was sceptical at first but she stood by me when all our friends were jumping on the "housing ladder" in 2006 and 2007 with massive mortgages. We went to their house warmings and were constantly asked "when are you going to stop paying dead money" and other cliches - but we held firm.

Then in October 2007 Northern Rock collapsed and house prices started to dive. I was so happy and I felt vindicated. I was sure that the denial period would only be brief and I convinced the missus to hold out to Summer 2009 - 18 months after the first declines started.

However, I did not expect that the denial period would last so long and I never really expected that McStalin would bankrupt the country in order to stop his pyramid scam from collapsing.

18 months on and vendors are still asking £125,000 for crappy three bed terraces and McStalin has thrown everything but the kitchen sinks at his ponzi scheme to get re-elected. Furthermore, the media and the brain-washed masses are still massively in denial and it is obvious that the elite do not want people to buy sensible priced houses anytime soon.

IMO, Brown has everted a massive crash and he has opted for a long drawn out crash over a decade. The trouble is - I haven't got a decade to wait! It is with regret that I will have to deal with slimy EA's and greedy vendors in the Summer and we will have to buy. :(

Fools

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

lol

your singing my song.

it is very depressing how they government will not admit that house prices are too high.

also that they are spending our money to keep them high.

your right, and i dont know what to say. I oftem sit here, jaw open, speachless at yet more efforts by the government to maintain the ridiculously high house prices we have. life is too short.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Not in Southampton... EAs are still playing the "this house is very realistically priced" card - although the prices they are referring to are close to 2007 ones...

Edited by DownsizingDiva