House Price Crash Forum

HOLA441
Thanks for re-opening guys. It would have been a great shame if this monstrous thread had died.

I think the thread is going to die a death - the major contributors have started another thread on GIE. Bit of a shame this has happened, but it'll mean more traffic for GIE...

crude.

Edited by crudeFool

• Replies 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Hi all,

We decided to move the Gold thread to the metals section because we are keen to develop other areas of the forum and as it is a metal although a pretty special one we have linked it as a pinned topic at the top of the main discussion on house prices.

I've taken on board peoples comments on not wanting to have it moved but the main forum is really for house price discussion rather than general economic discussion or discussion on investment metals like Gold.

We are hoping that this is just the start of a few changes to the forum to try and arrange it for the next level of growth. The main forum has been hugely popular and we wanted to wait until it was about this large before trying to spread things out a bit more. This is so that we have a good level of momentum in the new forums we create as well.

I am sad to see that our actions upset some long time gold thread posters and I hope that this explanation of why we made the move will encourage you to participate in the thread in it's new location and help us build up informed discussion in new areas of the HPC site as we move forward.

HOLA448
HOLA449

Predictions:

1) Gold will pull back to 960-970 by next week

2) Fed will cut (0.5%).

3) Gold will flirt with 1000 for the rest of the month and correct back to the mid-900's again.

4) Gold will consolidate and perhaps fall further in May/June

5) We could see a breakout above 1000 sometime in the summer.

Well, at least that's what the tea leaves say... ;)

HOLA4410

Time to retire this thread?

The thread is virtually 1 year old and in that time the price of gold:

14/03/2007 $640, £332

11/03/2008 $982, £487

So up 47% in £.

I would be surprised to see many of the old prolific posters back here, so it won't be same.

My suggestion, for what it is worth, would be to leave it closed.

Posters can, and have, started other gold threads in the metals forum.

HOLA4411
Time to retire this thread?

The thread is virtually 1 year old and in that time the price of gold:

14/03/2007 $640, £332

11/03/2008 $982, £487

So up 47% in £.

I would be surprised to see many of the old prolific posters back here, so it won't be same.

My suggestion, for what it is worth, would be to leave it closed.

Posters can, and have, started other gold threads in the metals forum.

I think closing the thread at this point would be an unwise decision. While it is true that many of the more profilic gold posters have decamped elsewhere, it would be premature to close the thread less than 24 hours after re-opening as some of them may wish to return at some point, perhaps in the near future. Irrevocably closing the thread would likely ensure that they never return to HPC, which would be a real loss to the site IMO.

HOLA4412
I think closing the thread at this point would be an unwise decision. While it is true that many of the more profilic gold posters have decamped elsewhere, it would be premature to close the thread less than 24 hours after re-opening as some of them may wish to return at some point, perhaps in the near future. Irrevocably closing the thread would likely ensure that they never return to HPC, which would be a real loss to the site IMO.

To be honest i think the thread has died and we've lost some valuable contributors to HPC. I for one don't spend a quarter of the time i used to on the site.

I must say i appreciate Brendan's comments today but unfortunately i think the damage is done.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Hello all.

I certainly hope it hasn't died as I read it regularly to help gauge sentiment on my gold investments. I was quite surprised to see the general reaction of the posters to our actions to be honest. I know that a lot of complaints have been leveled against the moderation and some of the decisions we make on the forum but as someone not involved in the day to day moderation with an outside perspective I honestly believe that the moderators make good decisions in what is quite a tough environment for moderation.

There are a number of people who make quite frankly a huge effort to spam and promote their own interests on the forum without adding any kind of contribution to HPC of any worth and when we have to deal with that kind of thing every day in a fair way it is more difficult to assign resource to more important decisions like this.

I hope that those people I'm talking about, many of whom have multiple aliases and obviously far too much time on their hands will stop trying to ruin things for everyone else.

People come to HPC to read informed commentary on a huge range of issues and whilst I would prefer we had absolutely no moderation the forum is a highly contentious place as evidenced by the 27 solicitors letters I have received this year so far. Such is our commitment to open debate and free speech it is not uncommon for us to put our own companies funds at risk to defend posts which have been challenged without a proper legal basis often by very large corporations.

When we bought the web site we did it because we really liked it, it's not a huge money spinner for us and like everyone in the community who supports HPC we want to see it grow in popularity because it is such a unique place where we have learned so much and continue to learn every day because of the vibrancy of the community.

Over the course of the next few months we hope to make some changes that have been held back by our other work load to the forum which should build on the success of the site so far and take it to the next level.

I do hope we can count on the support of all the current and future members as we work on this and we will certainly put our ideas out for consultation before we implement them because we do care what you think.

HOLA4415

I came to HPC as I suspected that house prices would crash. I became interested in gold only recently.

The issue of moving the thread was discussed before and it was known to be provocative. Everyone knew that. It was a deliberate act of vandalism as the consequences of this action were known. Its too late to make excuses as the damage has been done. The gold thread was the heart of the forum where many issues were discussed and it formed a hub to new posts in the main forum. Arguably, Gold backed currency is at the heart of the debate that the website if founded on, which the moderator in question has almost destroyed on HPC.co.uk

Sometimes its best to do the right thing even if its a bitter pill to swallow. Restore the gold thread and offer a sincere apology to those that were offended by the moderator in question.

Restricting freedom of speech just because you don't like its message will hardly inspire debate in a forum. This is much more of an issue than the gold thread location.

Edited by azazel

HOLA4416
the main forum is really for house price discussion rather than general economic discussion or discussion on investment metals like Gold.

In the main discussion forum there are all sorts of good macroeconomic and/or threads which make no reference to house prices at all. This thread discussed house prices relative to gold price regularly, see GFs regular insistence on ave house price< 100oz gold target and regularly updated charts on the subject. By explicit agreement this was the only thread on gold in the main forum so as not to stifle other subjects.

The reason why the thread is now on another site and won't be coming back is not really to do with subforum placement though. Threads were closed and posts with perfectly reasonable, polite criticism were deleted; a tour de force of censorship and control which is precisely what people posting to forums like to feel free of.

I take your point that moderation is necessary for protecting the site, absolutely. However, this was not a case of removal because of defamation, copyright infringement, racism or any reason for which legal culpability can be claimed.

We are hoping that this is just the start of a few changes to the forum to try and arrange it for the next level of growth.

Hope that works out. Metals subforum seems much improved, by the complete ansence of posters.

HOLA4417
Restricting freedom of speech just because you don't like its message will hardly inspire debate in a forum. This is much more of an issue than the gold thread location.
Threads were closed and posts with perfectly reasonable, polite criticism were deleted; a tour de force of censorship and control which is precisely what people posting to forums like to feel free of.

Our forum rules are perfectly clear on this point.

Responses within a thread must remain "on topic" to that thread. The mods will exercise discretion and will delete posts within a thread that appear to "invade" the thread or digress from its subject and is not up for discussion.
Whilst we try to be as open as possible in the moderation of the forums, the moderators do not have the time to enter into public debate over the rights and wrongs of every moderating decision. Any posts questioning a moderators decision, or the forum rules, will be deleted.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...?act=boardrules

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
1 User(s) are reading this topic

Not quite as popular as it used to be... :-/ Where can I find Mr Finger these days

5 users at present. The gold thread was often the first thread I came to catch up on.

House prices have crashed in terms of gold, so I don't see why it was removed. Abuse of power as far as I'm concerned.

HOLA4421
5 users at present. The gold thread was often the first thread I came to catch up on.

House prices have crashed in terms of gold, so I don't see why it was removed. Abuse of power as far as I'm concerned.

This thread is dead (unfortunately). I used to look at this thread 1st - don't visit HPC as much as I used to :-( The thread has been resurrected elsewhere.

crude.

HOLA4422
I reckon that Gold has been "building cause" for a Great Leap forward through $1,000.

And I reckon it will get there next week.

Short term a lot of the commentators are a bit bearish on gold and some even more so on silver.

I've felt for several days that it's looking a bit overbought but we shall see. I'm no chart analyst. It could burst upwards.

I remember when crude oil was nearing $100 last October and many expected it to be there any day. It might have done, but in the end took until Jan 2 to make it and that was only one contract on the trading floor by one guy who, it seems, wanted his 15 min. It then remained below $100 for quite some time.

Presumably the cartel will fight to keep gold below $1000.

Time will tell. It'll make interesting viewing. I'd like to see some good consolidation.

Edited by wren

HOLA4423

I have been hording gold for 4 years now and have watched it's price moves with decreasing interest, until late. It looks to me that gold is poised for a massive upswing if a dollar related event happens and the way the dollar is looking today that could be very close indeed. There is far too much paper trading going on though for gold's true value to shine through. Lets see a few ETF's go south and that might change people's perception.

HOLA4424
I have been hording gold for 4 years now and have watched it's price moves with decreasing interest, until late. It looks to me that gold is poised for a massive upswing if a dollar related event happens and the way the dollar is looking today that could be very close indeed. There is far too much paper trading going on though for gold's true value to shine through. Lets see a few ETF's go south and that might change people's perception.

$992 as I'm posting. Your massive upswing hunch might come good!

HOLA4425

any advice on where to buy some physical bars/coins (35k worth) ??