House Price Crash Forum

HOLA441
No, of course not, but on a site so rich in pontification one never knows....

Anyway, thanks OJ for your contribution. You're right about the difference, it'll probably be marginal but it all adds to the sense of satisfaction or dissapointment if you can save a couple of quid...

I note your comments - all very useful to add to the general ethos.

If it helps, I too have a few quid in GoldMoney (and BullionVault for that matter), and I haven't bought today.

If there's one thing I feel I can tell you with confidence it's this: the price will go lower than it is now! :D

• Replies 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
Sooner or later do you think (feel)?

Well, I don't pretend to know anything about chartism at all, but looking at the chart linked to by Fortune[1], then you'll notice that the gold price skips across the moving average lines, and even touches the 52-day MA line back in December.

At present, it could be argued, it's 'mid-skip'. Some chartists might say that it's looking about time for it meet those moving averages again. Unless I'm getting my jargon mixed up (and hopefully someone will correct me if I am), then a period back around the moving average would be deemed to be a 'support', i.e. a relatively stable price from which gold could perhaps once again put on another more forthright growing spurt once more.

But, I warn you, I really don't know what I'm talking about.

EDIT: [1] I mean the first one, not the later one with the image pasted into the post.

Edited by Ologhai Jones

HOLA448
But, I warn you, I really don't know what I'm talking about.

EDIT: [1] I mean the first one, not the later one with the image pasted into the post.

..and yet I know even less.

I'll recheck the chart and see if I can follow what you're saying..

HOLA449
I've got a small sum in Goldmoney's holding account - could anyone stick their neck(s) out and suggest a best time to buy...now?....later today?, Monday?.....

does anyone have a feeling in their waters? I wondered if there might be some selling as it's the end of the week and as it's just breached $1000 but I honestly don't have a clue whether this is going to break out into fevered buying or a correction downwards.

Any thoughts?

I believe that future global economic news is very likely to be very good news for gold and that $1000 is making the transition from resistance to strong support for gold as we speak, but be cautious in taking any individual piece of advice from this forum, research the subject well to get a grounding in it. Even if you buy at the 'right' time, will you sell at the 'right' time? There is an enormous amount of information on the web.

Along with the more popular media sources for general economic news, I find these links useful:

Commodity Watch Radio

Money Week

Safe Haven

Financial Sense/Precious Metals

FT

GATA

Honest Money

Golden Bar

Prudent Bear

Like with all media sources, try understand the motivation of the article writer and assess their credibility and make a balanced decision based upon all that you've read.

If anyone's got any more links then I'll love some more reading material.

Edited by CraigI

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
Guest Bart of Darkness
Reminds me of the Graph on the Home Page, what happens next ? :D

I probably should know this after all this time but why did gold peak the way it did in 1980, then enter a prolonged period of decline.

HOLA4413
I probably should know this after all this time but why did gold peak the way it did in 1980, then enter a prolonged period of decline.

Interest rates were increased sufficiently that paper money became less unattractive.

If you home in on the peak and ignore the short term spike which lasted only a couple of months, the price was over $500 for a couple of years.

Whether dollars, euros etc. will be restored versus gold this time around in a similar way remains to be seen. A real flight to safety has barely begun, it's still early days.

wren

HOLA4414

Thanks to those who posted links to info on all this - while I still regard myself as clueless, I blame that as much on the lack of conclusiveness – to my mind anyway – of the inflation/deflation and money-supply debates that daily rage here as I do on my own failure to understand. In fact I bought some gold (goldmoney) in mid 2006 and have watched and wondered if and when I would buy some more. If I had to stake my life on one outcome it would instinctively be a bet on inflation in the near term but I wanted to get some idea from others who might be buying how they would time it. I think it’s striking that with one or two exceptions the most insightful contributions to the de/inflation debate here appear to originate in the deflationist camp (an observation which perhaps just reflects my own prejudice or wishes) yet I’m aware too that the most insightful and by-far best argued contributions on our beloved house price crash were invariably delivered by those expecting the crash even at this forums inception in 2004…..and we had to wait nearly 4 years.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Thanks to those who posted links to info on all this - while I still regard myself as clueless, I blame that as much on the lack of conclusiveness – to my mind anyway – of the inflation/deflation and money-supply debates that daily rage here as I do on my own failure to understand. In fact I bought some gold (goldmoney) in mid 2006 and have watched and wondered if and when I would buy some more. If I had to stake my life on one outcome it would instinctively be a bet on inflation in the near term but I wanted to get some idea from others who might be buying how they would time it. I think it’s striking that with one or two exceptions the most insightful contributions to the de/inflation debate here appear to originate in the deflationist camp (an observation which perhaps just reflects my own prejudice or wishes) yet I’m aware too that the most insightful and by-far best argued contributions on our beloved house price crash were invariably delivered by those expecting the crash even at this forums inception in 2004…..and we had to wait nearly 4 years.

The inflation/deflation debate cannot be resolved at this point. But put in it's simplest form it can be condensed to either,

a ) the Fed can fix this = inflation (and recession)

b ) the Fed can't fix this = deflation (and depression)

HOLA4417
The inflation/deflation debate cannot be resolved at this point. But put in it's simplest form it can be condensed to either,

a ) the Fed can fix this = inflation (and recession)

b ) the Fed can't fix this = deflation (and depression)

I would say:

a ) the Fed try fix this = inflation (and recession)

b ) the Fed fail fix this = deflation (and depression)

Jim Paplava has arugued that we are going to get the extremes of both: an inflationay depression / collapse (i.e those four blokes and their horses).

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
Guest Bart of Darkness
Interest rates were increased sufficiently that paper money became less unattractive.

If you home in on the peak and ignore the short term spike which lasted only a couple of months, the price was over $500 for a couple of years.

Whether dollars, euros etc. will be restored versus gold this time around in a similar way remains to be seen. A real flight to safety has barely begun, it's still early days.

wren

Ta.

I may be wrong but I don't have much faith in the future of the dollar (sorry RB!)

HOLA4421
I would say:

a ) the Fed try fix this = inflation (and recession)

b ) the Fed fail fix this = deflation (and depression)

Jim Paplava has arugued that we are going to get the extremes of both: an inflationay depression / collapse (i.e those four blokes and their horses).

So you're saying is the Fed can't fix this, well that does fit in with a reliable subscription newsletter I get that says exactly the same. Solution being.....abolish the Fed. I'm not sure where the will to achieve this will come from though. The politicians are in the hands of the multi-national PLC's, the population are dumbed down with reality TV and the media are happy with the status quo, what's it going to take to change the system?

HOLA4422
Reminds me of the Graph on the Home Page, what happens next ? :D

I hope you don't end up like this gold bear, Charlie.

15951_SS_chpk0238602_IMG_00_0001.jpg

:)

Gold is a completely different market, and the mass psychological machinations are entirely different.

HOLA4423
The last time there was a major deflation gold did well.

Now you've got me confused. I thought gold did well during phases of persistent inflation?, muttley's linked graph seems to suggest this (look at the whopping 1980 peak).

Am I wrong?

or is the formulation more like gold does well during periods of :-

Inflation + (conditions X)

OR

deflation + (conditions Y) where X and Y are necessarily different.

If so, what do X and Y represent?

HOLA4424
HOLA4425