House Price Crash Forum

HOLA441

I've actually forgotton how this issue started about where this thread should be located.

Ah yes, because someone asked for it to be pinned.

How about just un-pin it again, and let it drift in the main forum.

It will soon find it's way back to the first page daily when someone posts on it.

Surely going back to how things were is better than all this debate about it being pinned?

And then those who choose to ignore it won't have any reason to complain about the significance of it being pinned (i.e. those with no interest in gold)

• Replies 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
Moderating this forum really is a thankless task, goodbye!

Oh dear.

Well, someone asked to pin the thread. Then someone complained about the thread being pinned. Now access to the thread has gone back to inconvenient.

We should just go back to good old free-floating.

Sorry Oldie, I know you do your best here, but even people on the thread have different opinions.

Edited by Goldfinger

HOLA443
HOLA444

Yet another quality poster - Pluto - has left due to people who just can't bear a daily reminder of the fact that they don't own any Gold. :(

The price of this metal is THE index of how messed up the global economy is, of which house prices are a mere reflection. Deal with it. Edit - the second quote in my sig seems to be apt here.

Edited by tahoma

HOLA445
How about just un-pin it again, and let it drift in the main forum.

I agree. I think most folks were happy with this.

IIRC it was just one request for a pinning that resulted in it being pinned.

It was an equally small number of complaints about it being pinned that led to The Oldie having to take further action.

I vote we just go back to how we were yesterday. Oldie - appreciate your work in trying to please all the people all the time. How about we just put this down to a "beta trial" that didn't work out, hey?

HOLA446
I'm done. Goodbye all. The mods pandering to all the grumps has ruined this forum.

Adios mi amigos.

Signing off..

Please don't go Pluto... :(

Just ignore the moaning minis.

IMO you contribute a great deal to this on-going discussion.

HOLA447

Why don't we just all demand that any topic not directly to do with house prices be moved off the main board? I was going to do it to every thread I felt fitted this description (ie about 30% of them) , but hell it would just get me banned/suspended.

Edit: I don't think the fact that this happened just as AU was about to bust $1000 is any coincidence whatsoever. Still, now that it can't be 'ramped' here with all the big hitters around, the price will probably drop to $150 an ounce again, right? <_<

Edit 2: Sorry to go off on a rant, but I joined this forum over 2 years ago. In that time, I have doubled my STR fund. I ask you, was this directly due to:

1. Whiny ass threads by people whining about Gordon Brown

2. Whiny ass threads by people whining about their landlord

3. Whiny ass threads by people whining about whether they should try to sell and 'only' make £100k

4. 40 threads a day by a religious nutter who misquotes every cut and paste effort he makes

5. Information on the imminent explosion of the price of Gold, hat tip to Bubb, GF, Pluto et al

Go on, have a guess. Have a f*cking guess. And which stream of information has just been hobbled?

Edited by tahoma

HOLA448
Gold is SO YESTERDAY. Agricultural commodities especially grains are the new gold.

Be careful who underwrites your agri comm ETf securities (if you use them)....in many cases its AIG...who may not be around for much longer (just suffered biggest losses in over 80 years)...

Further down the line 'the contagion' may find its way to all paper promises.

HOLA449
Oh well, it's their forum, so they can dictate the prattle as much as they like I suppose.

But it was a poster who requested this be pinned... and a moderator who has tried to oblige.

It wasn't moderators who dictated that this be pinned or moved.

So posters should be listened to, and have it back as a floating topic.

Then you won't get those posters who are not interested in Gold complaining about this thread being pinned etc. They can just ignore it, like I expect they do with other topics that don't interest them.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Okay, this thread is now pinned in the metals forum, which is where new members might expect to find it, but with a dummy thread containing a link to the metals forum now pinned in the main forum so that people can find it from there. I could change the link to go directly to this thread if that's preferable, but I think it's best just pointing to the metals forum as there are other interesting threads here. Any comments?

The gold thread ,IMO, is much more than simply about PM,s or investment . It compliments the general discussion topic with in depth and well informed posts which relate directly to the ongoing housing crash , and as such could also be seen as a gauge of sentiment in the world-wide markets , as another poster infered earlier . It would ,IMO, be a great pity to divide some of HPC's best and most informed posters between the two forums .

Just my 2 bobs'worth but letting it float freely in the main forum would seem the best way.

Edited by bearly hopeful

HOLA4412
MUHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHA

Slowly, slowly, the idiots are beginning to understand it.

In a futile, desperate attempt to save the system, central banks are decimating the purchasing power of all currencies. This will lead to total loss of confidence in the international monetary and banking system, utter financial and social chaos and ultimately a return to the gold standard by popular demand.

This is all you need to know and is 100% correct, guaranteed. All else is pure and simple BS.

Not sure about the total loss of confidence, Germany lived through hyperinflation and confidence came back. You can always rely on 2 things, 1) government excuses and 2) people have the memory of an elephant. Also your forgetting the China factor, I strongly believe China knows exactly whats coming and has special plans in place to revert to a domestic economy while pulling of the dollar. Not my hypothesis but that of some very wise posters on the forums who I happen to agree with :)

Best we can do is make as much money as possible out of gold and then with our new found wealth, this amazing community and the next confidence shock to the public we can educate them about the truth behind the iron curtain.

HOLA4413

No, not happy.

The single floating thread was a workable compromise that should have been left as it was, all other metals threads being moved to the sub-forum.

The price of gold deserves its place along with backward-looking data, predictions, anecdotals, news, politics, debt analyis etc etc etc. If we take out everything that is not 100% relevent to house prices, we'll all be reduced to dicussing the latest Land Registry report, and we will all be 6 months out of date. For goodness sake, the wide angle view is why this forum works.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Moderating this forum really is a thankless task, goodbye!

I imagine it is. I think just one gold thread on the main discussion board is in no danger of dominating it. It is also the most posted on thread on HPC and to some extent that in itself goes some way to justifying a front page placing.

I'm sure there would be plenty of thankyou posts if it is allowed to float free on the main page again.

HOLA4416

It does seem a bit silly to have one humongous thread where practically everything that anyone has to say about gold (and, indeed, silver and other sundries) gets said when there is a perfectly serviceable Metals forum that hardly gets any posts or traffic.

A forum is a structure where topics are broken down into sub-forums and then threads, and it actually makes some kind of sense.

I think it's entirely possible that having The Gold Thread in the main discussion forum is what causes the Metals forum to be so inactive.

I'm not entirely sure what the fuss is about. This is a thread about metals. It makes some kind of sense that it should be in the Metals forum.

If anything, the oddity here is having it pinned in Metals as it's so popular, there's no need for pinning.

HOLA4417

I suggest that it should go back to being free-floating in the main forum. As others have said, it helps us tell if there have been new posts in this thread while browsing the other topics in the main forum.

To help newbies I suggest that a referring thread should be pinned in the metals forum which refers to the free-floating gold thread.

Poeple who aren't interested in gold needn't even open the gold thread at all.

Thanks to The Oldie, who seems to be trying to find a good compromise.

Concerning topicality, gold is extremely relevant to "house price crash". The reason lies in the word "price". Gold is money and provides another means to assess the value and prices of other things like houses, farmland, monthly salaries and so on. I price things in ounces of gold.

Most people don't know that at certain times in the not-so-distant past 100 ounces of gold could buy an average house, or that one ounce could buy the DOW. Most people are not familar with modern fiat currency systems and how they work. Most people don't know that in 1933 it was made illegal for Americans to own gold. They were given a piece of paper saying twenty dollars for each ounce. A bit later 1 ounce was set to $35! They were robbed! These sorts of things get discussed in the gold thread and are of central importance for anybody who wants to understand money and finance, and, yes, house prices!

And Pluto come back!

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
Trichet doesn't want to play 'race you to the bottom' with the dollar...inflation figures won't let him.

Has he said it in these terms before? In any event it spooked the Euro VUSD trade today and has capped Gold.

He knows full well that the odds are now looking at a 75bps cut in 2 weeks time which should ramp the Euro even higher - Sounded like a public chastisement of Paulson and Bernanke to me.

HOLA4421
Hey, that's amazing! I've just noticed something...

Even when no one's posting on this thread, the price of gold keeps on going up and down!

Is it just some kind of momentum, or is the gold market in some sense independent of this thread? :lol:

Nah, you're dead wrong. Now that we 'Gold bugs' can't 'ramp' Gold on an occasionally appearing single thread in the main forum, the price will probably be $150 an ounce by the end of the week.

Dammit, we would have got away with it if it weren't for those meddling kids / moderators who treat the departure of quality posters with sneering distain (delete as applicable).

BTW, how is your 0.000 oz position doing, Jonesy? ;)

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

This thread is not just a metal thread.

Gold is a macro-economic variable, the only currency that cannot be created by will/paper. The present crisis and bursting credit bubble is deeply rooted in the abolishment of the Gold-Dollar standard in 1971. And, yes, house prices (and how they relate to gold) get discussed on here too.

I think it is very inconvenient to access the thread where it is now. I either need two windows, or I either miss out on the main forum or the gold thread. I therefore very much favour an unpinned version in the main forum as it was before (and was widely accepted too).

I will postpone posting until we have a good solution for this (IMO, back to how it has been before).

Good luck, everyone.