House Price Crash Forum

Gold strategy in the current economy

HOLA441
14 hours ago, Doesn't Commute Anymore said:

Thanks to FF and TMBTL for the advice. I bought so many years ago, I had lost touch with whom was best to trade with. Both were efficient and reasonable in terms of offers. Gold is sellable anywhere, silver again no problem but too bulky to rucksack if you have even a low 1000s stash, platinum harder to find a buyer but HGM were good and offered fair. COVID-19 means slow progress in waiting for the small ATS office to be clear (only one customer at a time).

I am currently bullion-free for the first time since college years, which was many many years ago, but I have more urgent need for the money. (in those days, grants still existed a bit and you were deducted any cash savings in your award, so I used to buy Britannias from summer work and declare no cash savings)     

did you find anywhere that offered good prices for buying gold there ? 

HOLA442
15 hours ago, Doesn't Commute Anymore said:

Thanks to FF and TMBTL for the advice. I bought so many years ago, I had lost touch with whom was best to trade with. Both were efficient and reasonable in terms of offers. Gold is sellable anywhere, silver again no problem but too bulky to rucksack if you have even a low 1000s stash, platinum harder to find a buyer but HGM were good and offered fair. COVID-19 means slow progress in waiting for the small ATS office to be clear (only one customer at a time).

I am currently bullion-free for the first time since college years, which was many many years ago, but I have more urgent need for the money. (in those days, grants still existed a bit and you were deducted any cash savings in your award, so I used to buy Britannias from summer work and declare no cash savings)     

How do they transfer the cash ?

Is it immediate into the bank account or cash in hand ?

HOLA443
HOLA444
14 hours ago, Doesn't Commute Anymore said:

did you find anywhere that offered good prices for buying gold there ? 

HOLA445
HOLA446
1 hour ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

Looks like the sharp rises of the past two weeks are coming to an end, and it is plateauing around 1970-1980.

What next  ?

Barring any exceptional news - it looks like its run its course for now. For this to be sustainable - it needs to retest and consolidate. I think that's it until September.

HOLA447
13 hours ago, LetsBuild said:

I reckon you are a factor of 10 out. 1500 = 46.7kg, still very heavy mind!

Unless you mean those big 10oz coins and I’ll give it to you ?

I'm a child of the 70's so I stumble between metric and imperial but I do know that 1,000ML is a mile ??

HOLA448
1 hour ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

Looks like the sharp rises of the past two weeks are coming to an end, and it is plateauing around 1970-1980.

What next  ?

I’ve said. While everyone got uber bullish, I’ve been saying 1800US, after 2000 test, maybe lower. Then 2500-3000 next year.

Sold half my miners in last week.

Edited by Killer Bunny

HOLA449
12 minutes ago, warpig said:

Barring any exceptional news - it looks like its run its course for now. For this to be sustainable - it needs to retest and consolidate. I think that's it until September.

I'm still hopeful for a reasonable pullback.... My timing has always been sh1te & really want to avoid buying at the current 'height'.

HOLA4410
7 minutes ago, headmelter said:

I'm still hopeful for a reasonable pullback.... My timing has always been sh1te & really want to avoid buying at the current 'height'.

I've got a fair bit of money sitting on the sideline as well... I think it will - but these are exceptional times considering the government have seized dictatorial powers with the Coronavirus Act 2020...

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
50 minutes ago, Dreamcasting said:

Retest and consolidate what?

Short answer = price. Long answer = when a price point breaks through long term resistance, that line of resistance won't become support until the price is retested. It means the price pulls back to the same level and bounces higher again. The new line in the sand has to hold. A consolidation is where it sits patiently above that price point so the gains are less pronounced over time and then it should go higher again at a later point.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
2 hours ago, warpig said:

I've got a fair bit of money sitting on the sideline as well... I think it will - but these are exceptional times considering the government have seized dictatorial powers with the Coronavirus Act 2020...

I'm in a similar position... All currency sitting in the bank, making me feel slightly uneasy, as I wait impatiently... I agree these are exceptional times but 2008 was an exceptional time too so I'm hopeful things will follow a similar path giving us a final buying opportunity before catapulting on the next leg up...

HOLA4415
2 minutes ago, Dreamcasting said:

If there is any sort of manipulation, which there is in the PM markets (at least in the paper market), then there can't be any retest and consolidate though.

Just look at a chart, you can see it everywhere... either resistance becomes support or support becomes resistance as the price breaks through.

HOLA4416
8 minutes ago, headmelter said:

I'm in a similar position... All currency sitting in the bank, making me feel slightly uneasy, as I wait impatiently... I agree these are exceptional times but 2008 was an exceptional time too so I'm hopeful things will follow a similar path giving us a final buying opportunity before catapulting on the next leg up...

Odds are we'll get a resistible pullback... I suspect we've just seen a short term blow off top as shorts cover. 

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
2 minutes ago, warpig said:

?If that's all it takes then I'll try it again... I think gold has made an interm top circa $2k (fingers crossed!)

2 'interim tops' inside a fortnight... I'll wait until tomorrow before making a commitment...? ... I'm still expecting a pullback albeit by not as much...

HOLA4423
2 minutes ago, headmelter said:

2 'interim tops' inside a fortnight... I'll wait until tomorrow before making a commitment...? ... I'm still expecting a pullback albeit by not as much...

Really hard to say how much, but it will... So close... to $2k - I can smell it! :)

Edited by warpig

HOLA4424
HOLA4425