House Price Crash Forum

Couple Get On Their Bike To Sell House

HOLA441

From the South Manchester Reporter

Get on your bike to beat housing slump

Susannah Wright

10/ 7/2008

THE wheels may have come off as far as the housing market is concerned, but one couple decided to get on their bike when they failed to sell their £200,000 home.

Ged and Sam Matthews’ three-bedroomed terrace on Broseley Avenue, Didsbury had been on the market for seven months.

So armed with leaflets and balloons, the couple borrowed a special bicycle with hoardings to advertise the sale of their home.

They pedalled from their home and went up and down a stretch of Wilmslow Road, going into bars and shops and stopping people in the street to drum up interest in their house.

Sam, 31, said: "It wasn’t working selling it the normal way through an estate agent, and we thought we can’t just sit back and do nothing, so we decided to give this a go.

"Estate agents have so many houses to sell and we want ours to really make an impact so we’re going at it all out.

"We had quite a good response in just a few hours, with 14 people saying they were interested and telling us they thought it was a really unusual but effective way of approach."

Sam, who works for British Cycling - the national organisation which oversees the sport of cycling - borrowed the promotional recumbent bike through a colleague.

But as well as using an unusual pedal-power marketing ploy, she and Ged - an IT project manager - have a few other tricks up their sleeves. They have set up a website to showcase the house - www.7broseleyave.co.uk - and are holding an open viewing for potential purchasers.

Sam said: "We’re going to make a big song and dance about it and have wine and nibbles for people who want to come and have a look. People will have to let us know that they are genuinely interested though."

She added: "We’re going to throw in the costs of surveys, stamp duty and solicitors’ fees too, to make it an even better deal for whoever buys it."

Ged bought the house eight years ago and Sam moved in after the couple got together three years later. But they now want to move out so they can rent a place in Chorlton before deciding on their next step up the property ladder.

Sam said: "We’ve been doing all the usual stuff that experts say you should do, like redecorating and making everything neutral, but we reckon we’re just going the extra mile by actually selling it ourselves too."

For more information call Sam on 07900 xxxxxx or go to www.7broseleyave.co.uk "

This is their house here.

It looks like they paid just £78,500 for it in May 2000 with a further £13,500 in November 2001?

( Not sure what the £13,500 price is? Staircasing of shared ownership possibly? - Won't have been the purchase price )

Or they could just reduce the price ...

M21er

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442

Very interesting Marketing strategy.

Let the world know you are desperate.

I think Ged and Sammy should go back to school.

The house is not sold, and its now public knowledge they are desperate to sell, so they can expect offers of 50% less than asking price or wait for the baliffs.

HOLA443
Ged bought the house eight years ago and Sam moved in after the couple got together three years later. But they now want to move out so they can rent a place in Chorlton before deciding on their next step up the property ladder.

Hmm, looks like they've kinda missed the point of STRing, insofar as you need to try and do the 'S' bit before the market goes tits up, not after.

HOLA444
HOLA445

"Ged bought the house eight years ago and Sam moved in after the couple got together three years later. But they now want to move out so they can rent a place in Chorlton before deciding on their next step up the property ladder."

I suggest, If they paid £78,000 a fair offer should be around the £100,000 mark today.

HOLA446
HOLA447
Hmm, looks like they've kinda missed the point of STRing, insofar as you need to try and do the 'S' bit before the market goes tits up, not after.

Not true at all, you've just got to do it in plenty of time before the bottom. There's still a long way to fall don't you think? I can't understand the gimmick of paying stamp duty and fees, do people really fall for that? Or is there actually a benefit to the buyer that I'm missing - its getting really common.

Personally, I say good on them for trying - misplaced though it may be. I'm sick of looking round houses to buy where the vendor has made so little effort. An estate agent said to me recently "I keep telling vendors that presentation is important, but they won't listen to me!"

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
From the South Manchester Reporter

Get on your bike to beat housing slump

Susannah Wright

10/ 7/2008

They pedalled from their home and went up and down a stretch of Wilmslow Road, going into bars and shops and stopping people in the street to drum up interest in their house.

M21er

FFS - just imagine going into a wine bar, red-faced, daft pointy helmet on, and covered in grease, asking if anyone's "got a spare chain link, and by the way, do you want to buy our house?"

Foxtons - the future is staring you in the face.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Definitely Burnage; no doubt about it!!

Hi DaG ( Welcome to hpc.co.uk )

Do you know the area? I'd say looking at the photograph it's also ex LA?

To be fair, it does look like it's been refurbished to a high standard but I suspect this may be the reason it's not selling. ( Apart from being over priced!! )

M21er

Edited by M21er

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Didsbury my anus.

Thats burnage central.

My mate got one round the corner - arbor avenue for 50k in 2001. so he even overpaid at the time.

Its an ex -council turd with some ivy growing up the front to disguise it.

I feel like going round to slap this cheeky chappie.

HOLA4418
I feel like going round to slap this cheeky chappie.

Yes agreed. Definitely time for some direct action.

We are all behind you Brother Beefheart.

Please report back on your success. :D

HOLA4419

Has anyone pointed out that this overpriced shithole is in Burnage yet?

:lol:

Unless they are offering to dig it up and MOVE it to Didsbury for the lucky purchaser. That might be worth a few bob.

HOLA4420

Definitely Burnage. I've lived on Fog Lane and Parrs Wood Road is pretty much the dividing line where it turns from nice to nasty. Mr Sifter's record shop of Oasis lyrics fame is in the row of shops just before Burnage train station. Plenty of knocking shops round there too!

HOLA4421
Definitely Burnage. I've lived on Fog Lane and Parrs Wood Road is pretty much the dividing line where it turns from nice to nasty. Mr Sifter's record shop of Oasis lyrics fame is in the row of shops just before Burnage train station. Plenty of knocking shops round there too!

Blue Rat? As in fifteen storeys blue rat?

I think this property may be in burnage

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

If anyone's living close by, could they knock up a banner pointing out that

'This house is not in Didsbury, its in Burnage!!!!!! Visit www.housepricecrash.co.uk'

and drape it over the house in the dead of night.

And then run away. :lol:

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
"Ged bought the house eight years ago and Sam moved in after the couple got together three years later. But they now want to move out so they can rent a place in Chorlton before deciding on their next step up the property ladder."

At what point will it hit them that the rungs have been sawn through?