House Price Crash Forum

People Buying Less Fuel

HOLA441

Anyone see the guy from the petrol retailers association on breakfast ? Said fuel sales down 10 - 15% in last couple of weeks, with another big spike last night I guess sales will drop further. Im going to fix my bike tody

Edited by sambino

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Good! It's about sodding time. Fuel is expensive and yet we're still wasting it at an enormous rate.

Want lower fuel prices? Then we need to reduce demand. Buy smaller cars, drive less, drive more slowly. And stop cutting interest rates :angry:

HOLA443
HOLA444
Good! It's about sodding time. Fuel is expensive and yet we're still wasting it at an enormous rate.

Want lower fuel prices? Then we need to reduce demand. Buy smaller cars, drive less, drive more slowly. And stop cutting interest rates :angry:

Saved me typing it.

HOLA445

And lower taxes ;)

HOLA446
HOLA447

The problem, of course, is that most people are creatures of habit these days. Most are simply not willing to make the sacrifices needed in order to affect this kind of change. It really is a shame. :(

HOLA448

go figure as our American distant cousins are fond of saying; article on BBC news yesterday, The AA reporting they were assisting breakdowns were folk were driving around looking for the cheapest fuel and ran out of fuel :blink: ...pfffttt..why didn't they just use their blackberry to access www.petrolprices.com? ;) I struggle with the mentality of this,

"Heh whilst your driving around trying to save a quid on petrol, your house has just lost 100 quid in value, shouldn't you be spending your time more wisely, badgering your estate agent? After all you lost 3.5K last month"

Edited by Converted Lurker

HOLA449
HOLA4410
Never been a heaver fuel user a full tank every month used to cost me £40 now costs £55, it would need to be over £200

before I changed my behaviour. But I work in the motortrade so my behaviour may be changed for me.

Agreed, can't for the live of me understand the fuss now, perhaps it is (finally) the boiling frog syndrome at work, so what my petrol cost is now 100 quid as opposed to 75-80...likewise the haulage companies, they kicked off when fuel breached 85p back in 2000 now its 117p they're kicking off again, what about that huge space in the middle?...oh let me guess, you didn't mind that period between 2000 and now, 'cos your house was going up in value every day according the the Sun/Express...

Edited by Converted Lurker

HOLA4411

Sorry to repost this, it is in the other fuel string as well (can we have just one string per topic, just occassionally?)

Apparently you can get a kit to convert your car to 1/2 run on water now. They have been saying the technology is out there for years and it is a global conspiracy of the oil companies that we haven't had access to it. I never really believed them, but it was in the Daily Star!

And here it is:

http://www.runyourcarwithwater.com/?hop=jrf23

If anyone wants to do the conversion and report back with the results and obstacles I would be most grateful. (I am pretty handy but would like a mechanics geek to do it first!)

(and apparently the kits only cost about 70 bucks - bargain really for saving 1/2 your petrol costs)

HOLA4412
Sorry to repost this, it is in the other fuel string as well (can we have just one string per topic, just occassionally?)

Apparently you can get a kit to convert your car to 1/2 run on water now. They have been saying the technology is out there for years and it is a global conspiracy of the oil companies that we haven't had access to it. I never really believed them, but it was in the Daily Star!

And here it is:

If anyone wants to do the conversion and report back with the results and obstacles I would be most grateful. (I am pretty handy but would like a mechanics geek to do it first!)

(and apparently the kits only cost about 70 bucks - bargain really for saving 1/2 your petrol costs)

The woman presenter at the bottom looks nice!

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Anyone see the guy from the petrol retailers association on breakfast ? Said fuel sales down 10 - 15% in last couple of weeks, with another big spike last night I guess sales will drop further. Im going to fix my bike tody

Not over here they´re not. I just filled up this morning (1.25 Euros a litre) at the local shopping centre and there was a much bigger queue than normal. But then again, unless you stick to the coast, public transport is dire here.

P.S. It´s becoming a strangely liberating experience exchanging my fiat currency for something useful.

Edited by markinspain

HOLA4416

Saudis have indicated that they will start cutting back production, they've realised that they're running out of Oil and dont want the world to know about it.

They's using the pretext of preserving oil for future generations rather than pumping it out now.

http://www.business24-7.ae/Articles/2008/6...3693ecd67a.aspx

Peeps need to realize that the era of cheap oil is over, its going to be a lot more expensive in a few months.

HOLA4417

And here it is:

Along similar lines I think this could be a runner too ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey%27s_Monkey_Spunk_Moped

HOLA4418
Apparently you can get a kit to convert your car to 1/2 run on water now.

You don't need a kit - you can put 50% water straight into the tank. I tried it last week, and almost made it to the end of the drive before suffering catastrophic engine failure.

HOLA4419
You don't need a kit - you can put 50% water straight into the tank. I tried it last week, and almost made it to the end of the drive before suffering catastrophic engine failure.

Fool.

You're supposed to electrolyze your water into hydrogen* and feed that into the engine duh!

*You also need to break the first law of thermodynamics but we'll just brush that one under the carpet shall we?

HOLA4420

Mix it with Monkey Pi#s first !

My sister has been running an old VW diesel on 80% chip fat for years.

The bloke in the Indian has a tank with a filter on it- smells of Onion Bajis when you put your foot down and it coughs bit -but works fine.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
Mix it with Monkey Pi#s first !

My sister has been running an old VW diesel on 80% chip fat for years.

The bloke in the Indian has a tank with a filter on it- smells of Onion Bajis when you put your foot down and it coughs bit -but works fine.

The problem is that vegtable oil is now over a pound a litre. :o

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

all this chat about fuel prices being too high seems faintly ridiculous when one considers the amount of traffic still clogging up our roads. It would seem from this that the price of fuel is actually still too low.

HOLA4425

I saved thousands per annum by getting rid of my car. Used to drive an E Class Merc (new every three years) and now ride a bike. Lord knows what I was spending on depreciation/insurance/fuel/etc but it was significantly more than my commuting costs these days (3-in-1 oil hasn't one up /that/ much, really).

In truth, the reason for making the switch wasn't financial. It was more that I was turning into a Fat ******* - too much work, not enough sport.

If my experience is anything to go by, a lot of people will look back positively at being "forced" out of cars by high fuel prices. They'll be both healthier and richer and will discover that one's commut can be an absolute hoot.