• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
A Few Good Men.

Kaffee: "I want the truth!"

Jessep: "You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has walls. And those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it?"

In the spirit of this thread... especially for you ENIGMA...

As Good as It Gets.

Melvin Udall: "Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here."

Mr. Nicholson is a leg-end :D

Okay, you got a point about the jack nicholson quotes.......but the best nicholson quotes come from the best film he ever did............nope not one flew over a cookoo's nest;

THE LAST DETAIL:

"I tell you....where else in the WORLD can you get a burger like that ?!! And for 50 cents !!!"

or

"Welcome to the wonderful world of pussy meadows, the sink is yours..."

Obviously not HPC related though....

HOLA445
HOLA446
Guest Bart of Darkness

The Matrix: "Welcome to the real world".

The Matrix: "Do you hear that, Mr. Anderson? That is the sound of inevitability."

Airplane!: Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue!

Apollo 13: "We just put Sir Isaac Newton in the driver's seat."

Fight Club: "I am Jack's smirking revenge."

Fight Club: "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero."

Snatch: "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

And a couple for the bulls:

STII: THe Wrath of Khan: "I don't belive in the no-win sdenario."

Apollo 13: "Failure is not an option."

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

I like the smell of subprime in the morning

Apocalypse When?

I know what you're thinking. 'Did the Fed raise six times or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is CDO Cubed, the most powerful form of junk debt in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty SIV-lite?

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Guest Bart of Darkness
I like the smell of subprime in the morning

Apocalypse When?

I know what you're thinking. 'Did the Fed raise six times or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is CDO Cubed, the most powerful form of junk debt in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty SIV-lite?

:lol: Quality!

I always liked this one:

From The Outlaw Josey Wales, with Clint Eastwood:

"Don't p1ss on my boots and tell me it's raining"

Rather appropriate in these misleading times.

Reminds me of this from Cold Mountain:

Ruby: They call this war a cloud over the land. But they made the weather and then they stand in the rain and say 'Shit, it's raining!'

HOLA4412

er.. um.. maybe not the most applicable movie.. but it has the best dialogue ever:-

A R R E A R S

this time it's war

(foretelling the disaster)

"Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away?"

"Why dont you check out LV-426?"

"because I dont have to. There have been sheeple living there for years and they never reported any 'HPC'"

"What are you talking about.. How many sheeple ?"

"40, maybe 50 families... property terraformers. It's what we call a 'shake and bake' development."

"families... jesus"

"Man, I'm tellin' you, I got a bad feeling about this drop. "

"You always say that Frost, you always say 'I got a bad feeling about this drop!'"

"Okay, okay. When we get back without you, I'll call your folks. "

(after the house-price crashes)

"We're in some real pretty s**t now man... That's it man, game over man, game over!"

"Those two specimens are worth millions to the buy-to-let division. If you're smart, we can both come out of this heroes, and we will be set up for life."

"Hold on one second. This installation has a substantial dollar value attached to it. "

"They can bill me!"

etc.

Edited by t350t

HOLA4413

Jaws 1975

Hooper and Brody discover that a Great White shark has attacked and killed two people off the shores of Amity Island. They attempt to get the mayor to close the beaches.

Brody;

'Its happened before it will happen again'

Hooper:

'You're going to ignore this particular problem until it comes up and bites you on the ass'.

Mayor:

'You'd love to prove that wouldn't you, get your name in the National Geographic'.

You tube Jaws

And for all those who have an abhorrence of popular culture;

Richard Dreyfuss (Hooper) makes a clarion call for the promotion of reason and intellectual curiosity.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Guest Bart of Darkness
omg, an e-personality cult :rolleyes:

welcome back cgnao, couldn't resist an 'evil genius laugh' i see

there's a few on here been banging the drum for a wider disaster to be fair... but some cracking articles come our way from your good self - e.g.

'dead cats and live rabbits'

UK property is going to be a sideshow IMO

i'll put the kettle on while tea is still sensibly priced..

Jaws 1975

Hooper and Brody discover that a Great White shark has attacked and killed two people off the shores of Amity Island. They attempt to get the mayor to close the beaches.

Brody;

Hooper:

Mayor:

You tube Jaws

And for all those who have an abhorrence of popular culture;

Richard Dreyfuss (Hooper) makes a clarion call for the promotion of reason and intellectual curiosity.

Brody: You're going to need a bigger loan".

YouTube

Edited by Bart of Darkness

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
A quote from Trainspotting, apt in light of the impending credit crunch:

I like that one!!...it tels it just like it is!!

credit-junkies getting withdrawal symptoms!! :o

...anyone got any vera's...lllllluuuuuuuuuuuuuuvvvly!! :P

There's a guy in the place with a bitter-sweet face

and he goes by the name of Buy-to-lets are good

His friends call him letta,and now he's in a sweat-ta

cos he can't afford repayments that all the others could

He's in a bind,a grind,very much maligned

Signed up to a contract he thought he understood

even tho he's in a sweat,no he ain't gonna fret

he'll subsidise his tenants,buy-to let's are good

Let's are good

Let's are good

B..Buy to let's are good

Let's are good

Lets are good

B..Buy to let's are good

Let's are good

Let's are good

B..Buy to lets are good

Lets are good

Lets are good

B..Buy to lets are good.

Da da da da...da da da da da........." Anyone give me a capital one card??......".....Sorted!

Edited by oracle

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
Guest muttley

Gordon Brown to George W Bush, in the remake of The Long Good Friday*

" What I'm looking for is someone who can contribute to what England has given to the world: culture, sophistication, genius. A little bit more than an 'ot dog, know what I mean?"

*In looking for this quote I discovered, to my horror, that there is actually going to be a remake of the classic British gangster movie "The Long Good Friday" set in........modern day Miami. Apparently there is no market for British films in the US. They prefer their own crap versions like "Get Carter", "The Wicker Man" and the ghastly remake of the Euro classic "The Vanishing".

HOLA4421

Anybody remember this one from Schizopolis:

"Newswoman: The federal government announced today that in an effort to eradicate the national debt, it will be selling the state of Rhode Island to a group of private investors, for a reported $18 billion. The investors plan to enclose the entire state with an all-weather roof, and turn it into the world's largest shopping mall. When asked for comment, a White House spokesperson would only say, "Well, at least we didn't sell it to the ******ing Japanese.""

Well, it made me smile!

TD

HOLA4422
  • 5 years later...
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Got round to watching Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps.

In the Oliver Stone sequel ex-con Gordon Gecko makes a speech to a room full of students:

You are all pretty much screwed. You do not know it yet, but you are the NINJA generation. No income, no job, no assets. You've got a lot to look forward to.

Someone reminded me the other day that I once said, greed is good. Well it appears greed is not only good, it is legal. We are all drinking the same cool-aid.

But it is greed that makes my bartender buy three houses, he cannot afford with no money down. And it is greed that makes your parents refinance their 200,000 dollar mortgage for 250,000 dollars. Now they take that extra 50,000 dollars and go to the shopping mall so they can buy a new plasma TV, cell phones, computers and an SUV. And hey, why not a second home while we are at it.

Gee Wiz, we all know the prices of houses in America always go up. Right?

It is greed that makes the government of this country cut the interest rates to 1% after 9/11 so we can all go shopping again.

They got all these fancy names for trillions of dollars for credit, CMO, CDO, SIV, ABS. You know I honestly think there are only 75 people in the world that knows what they are.

But I will tell you what they are, they are WMDs. Weapons of mass destruction.

When I was away, it seemed that greed, got greedier. With a little bit of envy mixed in.

Hedge fund managers came home with 50 to 100 million bucks a year.

So Mr. Banker, he looks around and says.

My life looks pretty boring.

So he starts leveraging his interest up to 40%, 50% to 100%. With your money not his.

Yours. Because he could.

You are supposed to be borrowing not them.

And the beauty of the deal is no one is responsible.

Because everyone is drinking the same cool-aid.

Last year ladies and gentlemen, 40% of all corporate profits came from the financial services industry.

Not production, not anything remotely to do with the needs of the American public.

The truth is we are all part of it now.

Banks, consumers they are moving the money around in circles.

We take a buck, we shoot it full of steroids and we call it leverage. I call it steroid banking.

Now I have been considered a pretty smart guy when it comes to finance.

Maybe I was in prison too long, but sometimes it is the only place to stay sane, looking out from the bars and say, hey is everyone out there nuts?

It is clear as a bell to those who pay attention. The mother of all evil is speculation. Leverage debt. The bottom line is, it is borrowing to the hilt.

And I hate to tell you this, but it is a bankrupt business model.

It will not work. It is septicemic, malignant and its global. Like cancer, it is a disease. And we got to fight back. How we going to do that?

How we are going to leverage that disease, back in our favour?

I will tell you, three words…

The punchline is 'buy my book.'

I thought it was quite a good summary of how we got here.