House Price Crash Forum
Belfast Boy

Take The Blue Pill Or The Red Pill?

It is a very strange feeling watching the housing and banking problems unfold. I can't help but make comparisons with Matrix movie and the current situation. Here are just a few relevant quotes from the movie.

Trinity: "The answer is out there, Neo, and it's looking for you, and it will find you if you want it to."

Morpheus: "This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes."

Cypher: "If you'd told us the truth, we would've told you to shove that red pill right up your a*s."

I chose these 3 quotes to represent where we are currently at. We searched for the truth and have found it. Unfortunatly, for us, 'there is no turning back.' However, it seems to me that most people don't really want to know the truth and are happier living in the bubble.

Can anyone think of any other movie quotes that are relevant?

Note: my sig has a quote from The Bourne Ultimatum.

It is a very strange feeling watching the housing and banking problems unfold. I can't help but make comparisons with Matrix movie and the current situation. Here are just a few relevant quotes from the movie.

Trinity: "The answer is out there, Neo, and it's looking for you, and it will find you if you want it to."

Morpheus: "This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes."

Cypher: "If you'd told us the truth, we would've told you to shove that red pill right up your a*s."

I chose these 3 quotes to represent where we are currently at. We searched for the truth and have found it. Unfortunatly, for us, 'there is no turning back.' However, it seems to me that most people don't really want to know the truth and are happier living in the bubble.

Note: my sig has a quote from The Bourne Ultimatum.

Hollywood blockbusters are rubbish!

Go read 1984 by Eric Blair......

Every page has a relevant quote of Shakespearian tenor.

That is plagarised from:

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

A George Santayana quote.

... well you are a cheery sort. Thanks for getting in the mood. I was only aiming for some light relief. Sorry if I offended you :(

Oh, and the quote from the Bourne Ultimatum CIA Director, 'Hope for the best, plan for the worst!'

Edited by Belfast Boy

... well you are a cheery sort. Thanks for getting in the mood. I was only aiming for some light relief. Sorry if I offended you :(

Sorry mate, not offended; just have a deep loathing of popular culture as I believe it only functions as a politcal distraction / consumerist capitalist propaganda tool.

Or should I say; media representations of popular culture.

Edited by bearORbullENIGMA

Guest muttley

"You can't put the shit back in the donkey." - Tony Soprano.

Not a movie, but funny.

I still like this one from Sneakers...

Cosmo: Posit: People think a bank might be financially shaky.

Martin Bishop: Consequence: People start to withdraw their money.

Cosmo: Result: Pretty soon it is financially shaky.

Martin Bishop: Conclusion: You can make banks fail.

Cosmo: Bzzt. I've already done that. Maybe you've heard about a few? Think bigger.

Martin Bishop: Stock market?

Cosmo: Yes.

Martin Bishop: Currency market?

Martin Bishop: Commodities market?

Martin Bishop: Small countries?

A quote from Trainspotting, apt in light of the impending credit crunch:

I don't feel the sickness yet, but it's in the post. That's for sure. I'm in the junkie limbo at the moment. Too ill to sleep. Too tired to stay awake, but the sickness is on its way. Sweat, chills, nausea. Pain and craving. A need like nothing else I've ever known will soon take hold of me. It's on its way.

A Few Good Men.

Kaffee: "I want the truth!"

Jessep: "You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has walls. And those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it?"

In the spirit of this thread... especially for you ENIGMA...

As Good as It Gets.

Melvin Udall: "Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here."

Mr. Nicholson is a leg-end :D

Edited by Belfast Boy

From a scene in Star Trek - The Next Generation, when all Hell is breaking loose and Picard asks around for options only to be told 'it's impossible':

"Things are only impossible, until they're not"

Mervyn: You're... Bob, right? This is your house?

Bob: Sure is.

Mervyn: I'm Mervyn. I solve problems.

Bob: Good, we got one.

Mervyn: So I heard. May I come in?

Bob: Uh, yeah, please do.

;)

Trite but none the less amusing (to me at least):-

Mervyn: The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee

In fact the entire cast of Pulp Fiction could be replaced by Ben, Mervyn, Gordon, Bob, George etc etc and it would work.

Here are some lines from the film "Wall St", one of my favourite films.

Anyone fancy having a go at changing the words to fit this site?

How about for starters - Greed is a BTL portfolio!

Carl Fox: Stop going for the easy buck and start producing something with your life. Create, instead of living off the buying and selling of others.

Gekko: The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation. It's ********. You got ninety percent of the American public out there with little or no net worth. I create nothing. I own.

Gekko: You're walking around blind without a cane pal. A fool and his money are lucky enough to get together in the first place.

Bud: How much is enough? Gekko: It's not a question of enough, pal. It's a zero sum game, somebody wins, somebody loses. Money itself isn't lost or gained its simple transferred from one perception to another.

Gordon Gekko: Mixed emotions, pal. Like seeing Larry Wildmon going off a cliff in my new Maserati.

Bud Fox: If your enemy is superior, evade him. If angry, iritate. If equally matched, fight, and if not split and reevaluate.

Gekko: Every battle is won before it is ever fought. Sun-tzu, The Art of War.

Lou: A man looks in the abyss, there is nothing staring back at him. At that moment he discovers his character. That keeps the man out of the abyss.

Lou: The main thing about money, Bud, is that it makes you do things you don't want to do.

Bud: If you step out that door, I'm changing the locks.

Bud Fox: Life all comes down to a few moments. This is one of them.

Gordon Gekko: If somthing's worth doing it's worth doing for money.

Gekko: I'm gonna make you rich, Bud Fox.

Gekko: I'm talking liquid. Enough money to have your own jet. Enough money not to waste time. Fifty, one hundred million dollars. A player.

Gekko: I don't throw darts. I bet on sure things.

Gekko: If you need a friend, get a dog.

Gekko: Greed - you mark my words - will save Teldar, and that other malfunctioning corporation, the U.S.A.

Gekko: I know of no more valuable commodity than information.

Gekko: Greed captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.

Gekko: I look at a hundred deals a day. I pick one.

Gordon Gekko: You see that building over there? I bought it three years ago. My first real estate transaction. I sold it ten months later and made $800,000 profit. It was better than sex. At the time it was all the money in the world. Now it's a day's pay.

Bud Fox: Why do you need to wreck this company? Gordon Gecco: Because it's wreckable, all right?

Gordon Gekko: The point is, ladies and gentlemen, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right. Greed works.

Gekko: Buddy...where the hell have you been? You got me into this dog shit stock and you better get me out of it! Bud: Gordon, the bid is 16 1/2 and falling. As your broker, I advise you to sell.

Edited by markinspain

Guest Shedfish

not strictly a film quote,but from one of Bernanke's grillings by senators -

"...but then you say well you think it might be more than you think.. i mean, if you think it might be more than you think, why didn't you think it..?"

"i have a really bad feeling about this"

"the president's brain is missing"

Now why do guys like you and me know what a duvet is? Is it essential to our survival, in the hunter-gatherer sense of the word? No. What are we then?

F*ck Martha Stewart! Martha's polishing the brass on the Titanic! It's all going down, man! So, f*ck off with your sofa units and your Strinne green stripe patterns. I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let's evolve, and let the chips fall where they may.

The things you own, they end up owning you.

You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your f*cking khakis. We are the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.

Self-improvement is masturbation. Now self-destruction....

Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken.

You have to consider the possibility that God does not like you. He never wanted you. In all probability, he hates you. This is not the worst thing that can happen. We don't need Him. F*ck damnation, man, f*ck redemption! If we are God's unwanted children, so be it!

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.

In the world I see - you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway.

We cook your meals, we connect your calls, we guard you while you sleep. Do NOT f*ck with us.

You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everything else.

The first soap was made from the ashes of heroes, like the first monkey shot into space! Without pain, without sacrifice, we would have nothing.