House Price Crash Forum

HOLA441
It's paused for breath before a big jump?

gold200802011911.gif

No that's a major central bank or ib offloading.

ALERT ALERT Margin call going out.

Dollar just jumped up against everything and the pound just fell through the floor against everything.

Someone knows something big.....

Someone is trying to get into cash in a big big way today. Goldman?

edit for spilling

b.png

b1.png

post-7801-1201894574_thumb.png

post-7801-1201894591_thumb.png

Edited by zinny01

• Replies 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442

Dollar just jumped up against everything and the pound just fell through the floor against everything.

edit for spilling

Is there the equivalent of Level 2 data for Gold... anyone have any idea of the market depth that they are willing to share ?

HOLA443
HOLA444

edit for spilling

Well it is Friday so I expect we'll find out shortly after 9.00pm (after Dow closes) as seems to be the case with bad news . It gives the traders , who have got the attention span of a may-fly, time to forget it over the weekend.

HOLA445

edit for spilling

Lots of talk on the US forums about something going 'down' in Europe, and in the The City is favourite. Big hedge fund possibly, or an IB in trouble. Libor seen under heavy strain. :ph34r:

HOLA446
HOLA447
Lots of talk on the US forums about something going 'down' in Europe, and in the The City is favourite. Big hedge fund possibly, or an IB in trouble. Libor seen under heavy strain. :ph34r:

Mmm if your tuned into the same thing I am maybe you also found it funny that 'they must be all out of rogue traders now'

HOLA448
Guest grumpy-old-man
You want Ctrl+F5 or you might be looking at a cached price from 5 seconds ago :P

/pedantic_mode_enabled

no, not quite true.

If your browser if set correctly, it will check for updated web pages & compare to the local cached version, if they are different it will retrieve the updated one with just the F5 key.

Ctrl + F5 forces the update but is not required.

IE7 for example is automatically configured to check for newer pages every time you refresh (F5), same goes for Firefox.

iirc, IE6 also did the same.

If you are going to be technical, ensure you know the complete answer first. ;)

here is the answer in binary as well:

111000101000100100 10101000100111 10000001111010101

edited to add - we get a right old variety of subjects on this GOLD thread don't we. :D

Edited by grumpy-old-man

HOLA449
you were certainly right about the smackdown. Does that mean that the price will be back with a vengence to compensate next week?

That was A LOT bigger than I was thinking. I had thought they'd get it down, maybe to $920 ish.

If I'd known, if only...

Everywhere I look, in the FT, on the TV i just hear the word inflation, whether it's in Vienam or Indonesia, the US or UK. I am happy Gold is a good long term bet. I am not going to sweat the small stuff. I'll buy when I've got more cash in.

EDIT: I think something calamatous may be about to happen. Someone disgorged a Huge amt of bullion. An Investment Bank liquidating to fund itself?

Edited by chris c-t

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
EDIT: I think something calamatous may be about to happen. Someone disgorged a Huge amt of bullion. An Investment Bank liquidating to fund itself?

From what I can see, the top 3 scenarios are...

1. Possibly the most likely. Back in Aug 2007, the 90 day ABCP was allowed to roll over for 270 days (the maximum allowed) this was one of the measures to ease the spike in LIBOR. That means that there were 180 days before this stuff needed to be rolled again. Count 180 days forward from the begining of August which brings you to about MONDAY. The measures that were taken to ease the crunch are now coming back to hit the market.

2. Taken from a Forum in another web site

From my friend who is a bond trader (emerging markets)

"The ECB came out with a statement that US$ funding liquidity is now adequate, which the market has interpreted as meaning they won't be renewing the US$ term auction facility, which is essentially how the European banks funded their US$ needs over y/e. This caused quite a nasty move in US$ interbank lending markets, cross-currency swaps and short-end credit sensitive derivatives today. The ECB can always re-instate the facility if things get too nasty again, but the patient (the financial system) responded rather poorly to the first, very small attempt at being taken off central bank life support. I know this seems counter-intuitive to a falling US$ exchange rate, but there's still a shortage of US$'s in the world - ie. they're still being destroyed more quickly in the financial system than central banks can create them."

In this case the European banks may be selling gold to get hold of some dollars in the short term. Interesting this one as it plays into the deflation theory.

3. Another blow up is about to happen next week possibly caused by scenario 1 or maybe not. It does look like something big is going to happen next week. Who knows. By the look of the GBP it could be UK related. Could it be one of Barclay's SIV's? We know that the SIV's are the major users of ABCP.

HOLA4412
/pedantic_mode_enabled

no, not quite true.

If your browser if set correctly, it will check for updated web pages & compare to the local cached version, if they are different it will retrieve the updated one with just the F5 key.

Ctrl + F5 forces the update but is not required.

IE7 for example is automatically configured to check for newer pages every time you refresh (F5), same goes for Firefox.

iirc, IE6 also did the same.

If you are going to be technical, ensure you know the complete answer first. ;)

here is the answer in binary as well:

111000101000100100 10101000100111 10000001111010101

edited to add - we get a right old variety of subjects on this GOLD thread don't we. :D

"If your browser if set correctly" - maybe this is the vital point.

Or maybe not.

In my experience F5 does not always update the page. If the size of the page changes significantly it will.

If you are going to be pedantic and technical, be particularly sure you know the complete answer first :D

EDITED TO ADD: This page reflects my sometimes frustrating experiences:

http://creativebits.org/webdev/force_refre..._firefox_window

I know it's a lost cause but any tips on how to do this in Explorer?

I constantly have clients who don't see the changes.

Hit Refresh!

I did. Still not there.

Refresh the style sheet.

Nothing's changed.

Then I try to tell them how to empty their cache.

Nope. Still not working.

Then I tell them: "Trust me. The change has been made. The rest of the world will see the change. Unless they've been to your site recently. In which case they'll see the cached version. Sorry."

The answer to which, IMO, is to change the size of the changed file significantly. That has always worked B)

I have seen other methods which involves changing filenames, but I prefer mine.

Edited by Steve Netwriter

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
From what I can see, the top 3 scenarios are...

1. Possibly the most likely. Back in Aug 2007, the 90 day ABCP was allowed to roll over for 270 days (the maximum allowed) this was one of the measures to ease the spike in LIBOR. That means that there were 180 days before this stuff needed to be rolled again. Count 180 days forward from the begining of August which brings you to about MONDAY. The measures that were taken to ease the crunch are now coming back to hit the market.

2. Taken from a Forum in another web site

From my friend who is a bond trader (emerging markets)

In this case the European banks may be selling gold to get hold of some dollars in the short term. Interesting this one as it plays into the deflation theory.

3. Another blow up is about to happen next week possibly caused by scenario 1 or maybe not. It does look like something big is going to happen next week. Who knows. By the look of the GBP it could be UK related. Could it be one of Barclay's SIV's? We know that the SIV's are the major users of ABCP.

The calamity (end of rollover, downgrading of monoliners) will be overcome (short term) by another splurge of liquidity. The Fed seems prepared too ($60bn).

I find it very unlikely that someone who has an ABCP problem needs to sell gold (why would they have any anyway??). Similarly, I would assume that no big central bank has sold gold, but rather a reeling one like the Spanish, or a bullion bank was given a mighty gold loan to offset the GATA advert and scare the market a little.

Whatever this calamity is, we better hold on to our gold. I will buy more soon, but first want to see how things develop on Monday.

Edited by Goldfinger

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
goldfinger i see it dropping to around that mark, then picking up again but then thats my view. the banks have butt sexed each other they need cash.

I am too risk averse to trade this market. But I try to avoid buying spikes too. That's why I haven't bought today. If I can buy next week in the low $800s, perfect. But I doubt it. Everything that happens at the moment is Dollar negative.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

edit for spilling

SELLING GOLD FOR CASH - what does a deflationary rocket look like anyway?

HOLA4421

Gold chart for 1/02/08 -

Today was a pullback from a short term overbought condition. Not a 'collapse'. Not 'deflation' (lol).

I can only conclude from some of the posts from yesterday that many of you have not been watching the gold market for very long. We get a $15 drop and people act as if something extraordinary is taking place. Just relax. Ignore the whitenoise.

Edited by Errol

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
Surely that wouldn't be because he sings from the same deflationary hymn sheet? ;)

No, it's because zinny makes interesting comments on what's happening in the markets. As far as I'm aware he's never expressed much of an opinion on deflation.

The fact that you felt the need to put that comment up says a lot though.