House Price Crash Forum

Oh My God What Happened To Jimmy Savile

Its time to buy

HOLA441

I'm not suggesting for a minute that Sir Jim's tastes were mainstream. As you say though, maybe he just liked them young (I'd hope legal but young). Surely if you're story was true it would have been in a SUnday Tabloid? Nothing is secret anymore.

Bill Wyman springs to mind on this subject.

edit - didn;t Saville, in his documentary, reveal that he always carried around condoms. Maybe he did get a bit, but liked to be safe. If this is true, pregnancy is a long shot.

I've no reason to believe it isn't true TBF, the only vagueness is my memory of location as my boss was from Ipswich but had worked for a long time in Norwich and I couldn't remember where he knew this headmaster from, I would guess Norwich but don't really remember. This was >15 years ago and the papers were a bit different then, my boss said it was "common knowledge" that JS was like that but as I said, so were many rock stars in the 70s, there were underage groupies (NB - 14 / 15 NOT children other than in the legal definition), so I haven't been going around spreading it and say it to counter the alleagation that he was a kiddy-fiddler because I don't think he was.

At the same company I knew somebody who had worked on the cruise ships when John Prescott was a steward. He had a dynamite story on Prescott from that time and took it to the papers but they wouldn't publish as he didn't have enough evidence. As they wouldn't publish it I'm not about to over the internet (though have told people) but await publication when he dies. The repeatable story from that time is that John "macho no nonsense man of the people" Prescott used to be driven back to his parents in Hull by Reuben, the openly homosexual drag queen who did cabaret on the ships. Wonder what they talked about.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

:lol: That is cracking.

How is the diet going by the way?

william_hartnell4.jpg

OK OK. he looked ancient when I was a child, and has got progressively younger.. :blink:

He'd be around 103/104 now if he were still alive.

Thanks for asking, but I'm no longer on a "diet" as such, as I'm around 10stone 4lbs 28-30" waist and weight stable, I do however still intermittently fast and watch the carbohydrate.

Maybe I'll update the Embarrassing Fat Bodies thread soon..but we lost Trickster and I think one or two others along the way.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Sir Jimmy was a regular customer of ours back in mid nineties.

A true gent with a wicked off beat sense of humour, my partner and the staff loved him.

One summer he'd scribbled Jimmy Savile OBE with a smiley face on our interior cafe wall. The following year just before the start of another long season we had to re-decorate, painting over his signature. You would have though I had committed murder when you saw the staff and locals reaction to my crime. :D

Trickster gone missing in action?, are we going through another rut of losing posters :(

HOLA447

I think it is very sad that when someone decides to remain single and, horror of horros, actually devotes himselves to his Mum and looks after her that he is considered somehow weird, perverse, weird or even some kind of child molester.

It is the same mentality that used to exist regarding homosexuals as in many used to believe, and some idiots still do believe, that homosexuals are all child molesters.

It is to do with the small-minded, the insecure and those who feel threatened by those of us who do not confine ourselves to the perceived norm of marriage, a kid or two and, often, a life-long misery ahead.

When I was looking after my Mum when, towards the end of her life when I got the local GP and nurses involved, I was shocked to be told that nowadays it is rare for them to come across a child who looks after the parent. Despite this, there are at least a million people in the UK caring for one or more parents.

I don't say the above to blow my own trumpet but to merely point out that, as so many people do not look after their parents, it is understandable why a man, Jimmy Saville, who looked after his Mum is considered weird. It is easily to condemn him as a freak than to look deep within yourself and look at your own failings.

I would imagine in his day - as a top TV host connected with the Music industry - that he had no shortage of Women, the great, the good and the famous throwing themselves at him. He may have had a wonderful time with the ladies that most men would envy but perhaps he was just a gent who believes he should keep it to himself. Perhaps, for religious reasons, he did not sleep around as it may have been against his religious views.

Perhaps he was a desperately lonely man who longed to find a soul-mate and life partner but who was never able to - about 40% of UK singles between 20 and 50 are single so are they all sad, lonely sick weirdoes? Loneliness is a terrible thing.

The truth is that we know very little of Jimmy Saville's private life but people like him are an easy target for those who are of limited imaginations and limited tolerances.

If he had been involved in anything dodgy then I am amazed that nothing has come out against him in the past 30 or so years. Why has no one come forward making allegations against him to either the Police or the Media? In this day of the Internet he is far easier to make such allegations outside of UK Libel Laws also - so why no allegations other than innuendo?

Now that he is dead there is nothing legally stopping the newspapers from printing anything about him. You never know, in a few days they might be printing all sorts of shockings things about him. Time will tell.

But until then all we know of Jimmy Saville is this.

1. He loved, was devoted to and cared for his Mum.

2. He raised a truly staggering sum of money for charity that is, quite simply, amazing. I can't run one half marathon let alone numerous marathons that raised tens of millions over several decades. He did more for charity in a week or a month than most of us, myself most definitely included, will do in a lifetime.

3. He appeared to do an awful lot of good talking with people who were ill in hospital or in jail. I suspect he comforted loads of people and even changed the lives of a few. How many of us do that for just one person?

HOLA448
HOLA449

I remember Jimmy from my youth, both as a DJ and in Jim'll fix it.....RIP....I hate all this gossip that people revel in when people can't defend themselves......why as a nation are we so interested in peoples private lives and chit chat.......never been interested in it myself, never read about it, don't care what others get up to in their private lives as long as it is legal......the only exception is the people who lead us and are there to set an example, if they are doing a job of responsibility preaching to others they are required to do what they say we should do...not do as we say not what we do. ;)

HOLA4410

I agree with you TMT, but if I know something relevant I will throw it in. Note that I have not trawled the internet for this, I was told it some years ago.

I am not speculating and think it is great that he looked after his mum and it is entirely up to him if he doesn't want a family or even a steady girlfriend. I am reading nothing into his choosing to live his life that way or anybody else doing similar.

My major beef with him was that I didn't like Jim'll fix it but in those days of limited choice I seeemed to have to watch it an awful lot.

HOLA4411

No, it just means you have no original thoughts :P

I think you're right. (Or do I?)

Can anyone help?

Having said that he aged up for the role, and he looks a bit younger in some of the publicity stills at the time.

Was he about 55 or thereabouts when he became the Doctor? It surprised me at the time, when I found out his actual age.

HOLA4412

I think you're right. (Or do I?)

Can anyone help?

Was he about 55 or thereabouts when he became the Doctor? It surprised me at the time, when I found out his actual age.

Like you don't know 'Bart'!

William Henry Hartnell (8 January 1908 – 23 April 1975) was an English actor. During 1963-66, he played the first Doctor in the long-running BBC science fiction television series Doctor Who.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Hartnell

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
I think it is very sad that when someone decides to remain single and, horror of horros, actually devotes himselves to his Mum and looks after her that he is considered somehow weird, perverse, weird or even some kind of child molester.

Devoting yourself to your dear old mum = fine

Taking your dead mum's clothes to the dry cleaners once a month = weird

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Like you don't know 'Bart'!

;) I'm an "inbetweener" when it comes to Doctor Who fandom. I know enough purely from memory to seem very, very sad but trust me, there are people who know way, way more than I do.

HOLA4418

I've no reason to believe it isn't true TBF, the only vagueness is my memory of location as my boss was from Ipswich but had worked for a long time in Norwich and I couldn't remember where he knew this headmaster from, I would guess Norwich but don't really remember. This was >15 years ago and the papers were a bit different then, my boss said it was "common knowledge" that JS was like that but as I said, so were many rock stars in the 70s, there were underage groupies (NB - 14 / 15 NOT children other than in the legal definition), so I haven't been going around spreading it and say it to counter the alleagation that he was a kiddy-fiddler because I don't think he was.

Well, if he forced himself on / groomed anyone, their day has arrived. JS is lying 'in state' at some hotel somewhere. They need only take a small pot of paint to splash the casket with and the tabloids will pay them a fortune for their story. With those kinds of incentives, if it don't happen, my belief would be it didn't.

Interestingly HIGNFY covered JS's death. Merton gave no indication of the malice suggested in the earlier post. Neither did the writers script any kiddy-fiddling double-entendres, despite the lack of legal pressure to do otherwise and the ease with which such universally appreciated material can be contructed.

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA4419

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2069358/Jimmy-Saviles-secret-lover-The-eccentric-DJs-girlfriend-43-years-talks-frankly-VERY-unconventional-life-together.html

So he had a bird on the go for 43 years... Old Jim sounded like a right HPC'er..

The first meeting between Sue Hymns and Jimmy Savile is recorded faithfully in her diary, dated September 23, 1968.

‘Saw Jimmy Savile at the hospital,’ the entry reads. ‘Met him again at 5.15pm and he gave me a lift to the bus stop in his taxi.’

Back then, Sue was a stunningly pretty 18-year-old on her way to a doctor’s appointment at Leeds General Infirmary, while Savile — thanks to his role as presenter of Top Of The Tops — was Britain’s most famous DJ.

But on the day in question, Savile was doing a shift as a volunteer porter at the city’s hospital — part of the charitable works that were already as much a feature of his life as the platinum hair, the eccentric outfits and cigars.

The first words he ever spoke to her were: ‘Now then, now then.’ Yes, really.

As chat-up lines go, it may not have been the most seductive. But that chance meeting led to a relationship that was to last, on and off, right up until Savile’s death in October aged 84.

A relationship which Sue describes as being as close as any marriage, yet which remained hidden from all but the star’s dearest friends.

Widely regarded as perennially single, Savile would bat away questions about his private life.

While he would often speak movingly of his relationship with his late mother, Agnes — whom he called ‘the Duchess’ — there was never any mention of a girlfriend, leading to much cruel speculation about his sexuality.

It is to lay such gossip to rest that Sue has taken the decision — after being tracked down by the Daily Mail — to break her 43-year silence and tell, for first time, the moving story of her romance with ‘Jim’, as she called him.

After much soul-searching, she has concluded that it would serve Savile’s memory better to ‘set the record straight’ rather than allow unkind rumour to tarnish his memory.

Indeed, she is still astonished they managed to keep the relationship secret for so long, especially in the later years.

For while she and Savile drifted apart in the Seventies, during which Sue embarked on an ill-fated marriage and had a daughter, their relationship intensified in 1991 and they remained a couple — albeit an unconventional one — to the end.

‘The funny thing is that Jim and I went out and about in Leeds all the time and must have been photographed hundreds of times by fans,’ Sue says.

‘Everyone had this idea that Jim was single, and they must have thought I was his secretary or something. Sometimes people would ask who I was and Jim would say: “Oh, this is Sue, she’s my cleaner.”

‘Our relationship was private for so long — Jim didn’t feel the need to advertise it to the wider world — but so much rubbish has been said about him that I think people should know the truth.

'Our relationship was unconventional, but it lasted longer than many marriages’.

When we meet at Sue’s immaculate flat in South-West London, the evidence of their mutual affection is plain to see. Photographs of her and Jim together over the years adorn the walls: a faded shot of them in a Leeds café, not long after they met; another dressed up together for a Lord Mayor’s banquet.

The final one, at their favourite restaurant, The Flying Pizza in Leeds, was taken just two months before he died.

Now an elegant 61-year-old, Sue works as a PA at a health company. Still strikingly attractive, it is easy to see why Savile was attracted to her all those years ago.

Recalling that first encounter, she says: ‘I saw him and thought: “Oh my God, it’s Jimmy Savile, please don’t talk to me.” I was only 18 then, and he was so famous.

‘He did his “now then, now then” routine — Jim never said hello — and I tried to think of something to say. I mentioned a friend called Ray whom I knew Jim had taught to DJ, and Jim replied: “Let’s not talk about Ray; let’s talk about you.”’

A few weeks later, they met up at the InTime nightclub in Leeds, and Savile dropped Sue home. More dates followed and, little by little, despite the 23-year age gap, they grew closer.

‘Our first dates were in Leeds, dinner at The Queens hotel,’ recalls Sue.

‘Because of who he was, I felt rather nervous in the beginning.

‘In public, he was gregarious, but the real Jim was a serious man, quite intense, quite a philosopher.

‘In 43 years of knowing him, I never once heard him talk about music. But he had tremendous charisma and I found him very intriguing. It was a very carefree, exciting time.’

The romance developed into a full, physical relationship and over the next couple of years, Sue and Jim saw each other regularly, meeting up at a café opposite Leeds General Infirmary, or in London when Savile had filming commitments.

‘When he did Top Of The Pops, I would meet Jim in London for the show and then we would spend the night at a hotel — nothing too s*****y. Jim was always careful with money.’

If he was never open about their relationship, he didn’t hide Sue away, either.

Once, Savile was invited to open new offices for the Yorkshire Evening Post and persuaded Sue to go with him and pose alongside him wearing a mini skirt and boots.

‘I think he even had his hand up my skirt,’ she says, laughing at the memory.

That first phase of their relationship came to an end in 1970, when Sue moved to Munich, where her sister was living with her husband.

Three years later, Sue moved to London and met her husband, an advertising executive, whom she married in 1975. They had a daughter, Lindsay, now 35, but divorced in 1983.

‘We weren’t compatible and grew apart,’ Sue says.

Single again, she moved back to Leeds and had a four-year relationship with a mill owner. She often thought of Savile, but it was not until 1991 that she bumped into him in a restaurant — and they soon resumed their romance.

They would remain ‘an item’ until Savile’s death five weeks ago. Though they never lived together, they spent many happy times together and kept in close contact even when Jim’s work commitments took him away from Leeds.

‘We saw each other three times a week when he was in town, and would speak on the phone when he was away. I worked full-time as a PA, so we didn’t meet during the day, but we’d go out in the evenings.

‘I would go to his flat at about 7pm so we could have a proper chat before we went out and he became “Jimmy Savile the showman”. When we were alone, he was affectionate and tactile, but not so much when we were out. It was like being with two different people.

‘But in a way it was like a marriage. We went so far back that Jim could be himself with me.’

If others inquired about their relationship, Jim would bat away the question with a joke. Once, at a charity function, they met Coronation Street actress Liz Dawn, who politely asked Savile who his companion was.

‘He said: “Oh, this is Sue. I found her in the street one day, homeless.”’

‘She looked at me and said: “Oh love, oh you poor darling.”’

While some women may have resented being kept in the shadows, Sue says it never bothered her. Even so, did she not harbour hopes that they would move in together — marry, even?

‘Jim had decided early on that because of his showbiz lifestyle, marriage and children would never work,’ she explains.

‘But our relationship this time round moved on to a more mature level.’

Besides, she says, the arrangement suited her.

‘I had my daughter and didn’t want another man moving in, although Jim got on very well with Lindsay and came to her 18th birthday party.’

And so their relationship continued — together but apart — with Sue making regular visits to Savile’s penthouse flat in Leeds.

‘The lift went right up to the penthouse,’ she says. ‘I’d get out of the lift and he’d be standing there in his dressing gown and he’d say: “I have purposely kept my dressing gown on to see what you are wearing so we can colour co-ordinate”.

‘Jim often had friends over, people from Leeds he’d known all his life, and we would sit round chatting, having a drink, though Jim didn’t drink until 1997, when he had a quadruple heart bypass operation and was advised by his doctor to drink one glass of wine a day.

‘He lived on toast most of the time.

'He was frugal and would use tea bags three times. When we went to restaurants we always got a doggy bag for leftovers.’

He was certainly not one for romantic gestures, either.

‘He never bought me anything,’ says Sue, ‘but he always paid for dinner and used to top up my car with petrol. I said to him once: “You don’t like spending money, do you?” And he said: “No, I like saving it.”

‘I didn’t buy him presents, either, though I did loan him my exercise bike, which he kept.’

Contrary to the perception of Savile being a recluse, Sue says he had hundreds of friends — it’s just he grouped them into ‘boxes’.

One ‘box’ comprised his friends in Glencoe, Scotland, where he had a cottage. Another was made up of friends in Scarborough, his favourite seaside town.

He also had a small circle in London, where he owned a flat near Regent’s Park. Then there was the friends through his TV and charity work. Sue was part of the Leeds set; and when he spent time with his other ‘boxes’, she didn’t ask questions about who he was with.

‘There may have been other women — I didn’t ask,’ she shrugs.

If it sounds a curious arrangement, Sue says that while she found the relationship with Savile physically fulfilling, she had long given up trying to discuss ‘feelings’.

‘Jim did have emotions, but he couldn’t show them. If I said to him: “I’ve missed you,” he’d reply: “Come on, it’s me you’re talking to.”’

Even so, she says that as the years wore on, she did miss aspects of more conventional relationships.

‘He wouldn’t go to the cinema or theatre, and he always went on cruises alone or with a couple of the men from the Leeds crowd.

‘Jim had this idea that being a DJ and television presenter meant he had to give the impression of being single. He was doing it right to the end, flirting with women, kissing their hands. I’d be thinking: “Come on Jim, you’re 80!” But as he got older there’d be times when he would show his feelings. I think he needed more.’

He was upset when Sue moved to London, seven years ago, to be nearer her daughter and two grandchildren, making it harder for her and Savile to be together.

‘Jim was grumpy about it. I think if he had asked me not to go, I wouldn’t have, but he couldn’t say it. But he did say to a friend once: “You know she left me? I would never have left her.” That upset me.

‘But we got back into a routine of me going up to Leeds once or twice a month, and after that he became more affectionate. ’

Their last date together was in late August, when they went for dinner at their favourite pizza restaurant in Leeds. By then, Savile was in poor health.

‘When I walked into the flat he gave a little sigh and said: “Oh, you’re back at last.” He was very slow, he had little energy.’

The following month, Savile fell ill with pneumonia and spent ten days in hospital. Sue spoke to the ward sister every day but was reassured that Jim was getting better, so she didn’t rush up.

‘When he came out of hospital, we agreed I would go up to see him when he was feeling well again — he really hated anyone seeing him when he was poorly.’

Sadly, on Saturday, October 29, two days before his 85th birthday, Savile passed away. Sue learned of his death by text. ‘I was out shopping with a friend and had just said: “I must call Jim when I get home”, when I received a text message from a friend saying he’d been found dead at the flat.

‘I couldn’t believe it. I bought the papers the next morning and he was on the front pages, and I just thought: “Oh no, that’s my Jim”, and I cried.’

Sue travelled to Leeds on the Monday, Savile’s birthday, where she was one of the few close friends allowed to see Savile’s partially open coffin when his body was lying ‘in state’ at The Queens hotel.

‘I wasn’t sure whether to go, but I’m glad I did, that I saw him one last time,’ she says.

And she was there, of course, at his funeral at St Anne’s Cathedral.

‘I remember being in the cathedral and not connecting this big event to my Jim. I’m still struggling to take in the fact that he’s gone. I haven’t grieved properly yet.

‘Jim was a kind, loyal and principled man. He never took, he only gave. He was never miserable, and if he was unwell, he wouldn’t show it. He really was a one-off.’

In her darker moments, Sue has been comforted by an exchange she and Savile had on their last evening together at their favourite restaurant.

‘A member of staff had offered to take our picture. She joked: “Look lovingly at each other.” and Jim said quietly to me: “I don’t know what it would be like to be loved.”

‘I hesitated, but then I said: “Well, I love you.” And he replied: “Yeah, I know you do.”

‘That is so important to me that I did that. You know, I’m sure he set me up to say it. In all the years we had together, he’d never let me tell him I loved him.

‘But that last time together, he finally let me say it.’

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

So basically, this woman was Jimmy Saville's spunk bucket for 40 odd years and she's publishing that fact proudly in the Mail. Has she no shame?

I bet there's a dozen women with this exact same story.

Wow, I'll bet your a big hit down at the single mum's club :lol:

HOLA4422
  • 2 months later...
HOLA4423

Cover up scandal story being reported by Guido Fawkes

Whispers in the wind of a potential BBC scandal developing. Guido understands that tomorrow’s edition of The Oldie magazine will shed some more light on rather unpleasant allegations about the late Sir Jimmy Savile and why a Newsnight report suggesting that he molested underage girls was mysteriously spiked.

Apparently The Oldie will reveal

• 7 months later...
HOLA4424

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2210108/TV-host-Jimmy-Savile-sexually-abused-10-girls-career-peak-documentary-reveal.html

A shocking documentary set to hit screens next week will see up to 10 women allege they were sexually abused by TV star Sir Jimmy Savile.

The accusations, which range from rape to indecency, are claimed to have occurred during the height of his fame on girls as young as 13.

Two of the women featured in the ITV show even allege he gave them money, cigarettes, records and spots in the audience of his shows in return for 'sexual favours'.

Amazing these stories always come out when people die and can't offer a defence.

If true why was he able to get away with it, why are they suddenly accusing him now or why is the media suddenly interested when previously they weren't and covered his back?

HOLA4425

Archived