House Price Crash Forum

The Grammar And Spelling Thread

HOLA441

I dont seem to bother with apostrophe's etc coz I cant be @rsed. I tend to write phonetically but what you have to understand is that this is a discussion forum. I write and read as I would converse.

I do spell things in a 'scouse' way, like Doin me ead in!

Yes this is not great English and I can do things properly if need be but when we have an age that is taught. TEXT TALK,

Hi M8 how R U? Been 2 the shops 2day and bought sum trainees.

I do not find anyones spelling or grammar offensive. However, I do notice the few little things and maybe giggle to myself but I certainly would not pick people up on it.

TB

Edited by teddyboy

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

In addition to apostrophes, my other pet hate is the awful comma splice, which has started appearing in British English over the last four or five years or so (was very rare before). A fascinating phenomenon, but one which makes me tear my hair out when marking essays..... :o

What's a comma splice?

My view: typos and abbreviations are OK but spelling and grammatical errors are not. Colloquial english is also to be avoided.

However as I break my own rules, I can hardly complain.

Edited by othello

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
Guest Guy_Montag

I totally agree with Billy, if you use poor English it gives a bad impression of your message, regardless of whether that message is a letter, an email or a forum post. I know my spelling & grammar leave something to be desired, but it makes me wince when I see people getting their homophones :P wrong.

We have already covered there, they're & their.

So to, two & too.

If you can't tell, here's how it works - if it's a number that's easy it's two

Now say it outloud, or in your head

If you can shorten it to "ti" r "te" then use to

e.g. "I'm going to the pub" sounds ok as "I'm going te the pub"

But "I'm going to the pub te" doesn't, nor does "There's te much coke in with my vodka".

Embrace your inner primary school teacher.

HOLA447

Here's a prime example, eyes down..

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=28346

As an artworker for print, some of my job consists of proof reading & liasing with the copywriters over things like colons versus a dash etc, I try not to let it bother me here though, don't want to take my work home..

We are in the same trade mate! (Artpro Operator) I can see the obvious errors but what the problem? I don't think any less of the person? What I do know is his/her spelling is poor, but I still understand the post.

I am actually quite good at spelling. A lot of my typo's is because its a cordless keyboard and I use my 37" LCD as the monitor. Sometimes it does not catch every letter, coz I can type quite fast. I give it a quick look over, but tbh I can't be arsed 'proof reading' it if it is a response.

If I start the thread then I take a bit more care about the way in which it is presented.

TB

HOLA448

Unfortunately you have logged on at the wrong site

This one is a discussion site for house prices – not about being a self confessed tosser

LOL I would add sexually frustrated as well !!

Perhaps if you got laid once in a while ..... you might not give a shit about how well people spell on an anonymous internet board ...... :D

HOLA449
HOLA4410

If you can shorten it to "ti" r "te" then use to

e.g. "I'm going to the pub" sounds ok as "I'm going te the pub"

But "I'm going to the pub te" doesn't, nor does "There's te much coke in with my vodka".

Embrace your inner primary school teacher.

I've not heard that before, Guy. Nice; works well.

'loose' and 'lose' is the biggest bugbear (lol) for me... it's always the folk that get everything else correct that seem to make this mistake... there's really no excuse, guys.

I agree that poor spelling and grammar can detract from a post - however good the points are, it makes the reader feel like they are marking an essay by a fifteen year-old.

ps: I felt the need to post again after some time away... this thread seems non-controversial, and unlikely to be moved or deleted. :)

I do hope the new ownership works out ok for everyone.

Cheers

MB

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Colloquial english is also to be avoided.

nar - colloquial english is what makes some posters what they are.

but while we're being picky "alot" - it's two words!!!! :D

theChuz - i think you are guilty of ALL of the above forum misdemeanours.

go and immediately sit on the hpc naughty chair. (don't worry its still warm from when i admitted to my filthy overdraft a couple of weeks ago ;) )

HOLA4413
Guest muttley

Don't get me started on spelling...

Nobody on here knows how to spell "rising"

In fact nobody gets even close....

For example, I often see the following "house prices are crashing".

The correct spelling is "house prices are rising".

Apologies. In future we shall refer to you as a rising bore.

HOLA4414

nar - colloquial english is what makes some posters what they are.

but while we're being picky "alot" - it's two words!!!! :D

theChuz - i think you are guilty of ALL of the above forum misdemeanours.

go and immediately sit on the hpc naughty chair. (don't worry its still warm from when i admitted to my filthy overdraft a couple of weeks ago ;) )

<place holder>

EDITED:

Well, i gotto admit your grammer aint to bad dunroamin, the only continuous thing i ever see you do it omit the use of capital letters at the start of sentences, of course starting a sentence with a parenthesis is not to smart when commenting on grammar but its ok cause you dont do that alot and i would imagine you were tierd at the time.

That being said, i have spent sometime investimigating and i have come up with this from june..

am ironical

(have now accepted my "grammer" is awful!!!)

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...st=0&p=125264

:lol: two wrongs dont make a right so i shall serve my time on the naughty chair but i think you should come and sit on my lap :P

Edited by theChuz

HOLA4415

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, olny taht the frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pcleas. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by ilstef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

:P

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Guest Guy_Montag

Effect is a noun, affect is a verb.

A affects B

B causes knock on effects in C

LOL I would add sexually frustrated as well !!

Perhaps if you got laid once in a while ..... you might not give a shit about how well people spell on an anonymous internet board ...... :D

Since I've recently become single, I have been known to peruse internet dating sites, the number 1 thing that puts me off someone, is:

Bad spelling & grammar.

HOLA4418

Apologies. In future we shall refer to you as a rising bore.

:D

To all the 'grammar' queens on here...

I'd much rather read an interesting/humerous post containing poor spelling and grammar than read something dull that was grammatically correct.

This is an internet forum open to all, not a series of columns written (and edited) for the Times Newspaper.

If the spelling/grammar makes you cringe, then it's (its its' i'ts) your (youre yoor yure you're y'oure) problem...

HOLA4419

:D

To all the 'grammar' queens on here...

I'd much rather read an interesting/humerous post containing poor spelling and grammar than read something dull that was grammatically correct.

This is an internet forum open to all, not a series of columns written (and edited) for the Times Newspaper.

If the spelling/grammar makes you cringe, then it's (its its' i'ts) your (youre yoor yure you're y'oure) problem...

Why can't we have both? Besides, I never expected everyone to take notice. If I was that obsessed I would have started posting spelling flames to the main forum.

Billy Shears

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
Guest muttley

The number of posts which use amount when referring to discrete quantities such as people, houses, etc.

Quality post.........as some might say, without telling us whether they thought it was a good quality post, or a poor quality post.

Edited by muttley

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

the spelling an grammar errors

Dear Billy,

Since I am a magazine editor by profession (when not trawling property websites, of course), I must say that I am hugely encouraged by your thread.

I have wept inwardly on numerous occasions at the truly shocking errors in punctuation, spelling and grammar I have witnessed in many, otherwise intelligent, posts on this site.

My own personal bugbear is people who type 'an' instead of 'and'. Oh dear...

Sincerely,

SO

p.s. A board outside a well-known hairdressing establishment in Tunbridge Wells recently offered:

Bob's

Cuts

Highlite's

& Per'ms

I jest ye not

HOLA4425
Guest muttley

p.s. A board outside a well-known hairdressing establishment in Tunbridge Wells recently offered:

Bob's

Cuts

Highlite's

& Per'ms

I jest ye not

A doctor I knew, one received the following message at his surgery;

"Doctor. Please come quickly. I am climbing up the wall with my breasts."