House Price Crash Forum

Tv Programme About Last Property Crash

HOLA441

Hmmm...wonder why they've decided to make this programme now - Perhaps they think that it's going to happen again?? :ph34r:

Raw TV are looking for valuers, estate agents and lenders who were working during the 1980s property crash.

They have been asked by Channel 4 to look into making a programme about the crash and would love to hear members stories, good or bad.

They are very interested in anyone who worked in the industry during that period to tell us about their experiences. Also, if you or anyone you know who bought property in the 1980s and lost out or even made money due to the crash please do get in contact.

If you would like to get involved contact Natasha Zinni on e natasha.zinni@rawtelevision.co.uk or t +44(0)20 7284 6874.

May be an opportunity to point out the positive spin in the press throughout the last crash?

http://www.rics.org/Property/Residentialpr...y/crash_tv.html

HOLA442

Call me a cynic, but there's a danger this show might be a... Look how it's all different this time special. Channel 4 telling you how there'll never be a crash ever ever again and how prices will continue to rise until everyone in the world is a multi-trillionaire, except of course any mugs who missed the boat.

Is it just me or does the current economy remind you a lot of that scene in the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy where they started using leaves as currency.

HOLA443

Call me a cynic, but there's a danger this show might be a... Look how it's all different this time special. Channel 4 telling you how there'll never be a crash ever ever again and how prices will continue to rise until everyone in the world is a multi-trillionaire, except of course any mugs who missed the boat.

Is it just me or does the current economy remind you a lot of that scene in the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy where they started using leaves as currency.

I am afraid I have to agree that it IS different this time.

1. Earning multiples are much higher.

2. Debt levels are higher.

3. We are in a long term IR increase cycyle at the same time as stagnation in the economy

4. The fuel crisis is not just oil--its gas and electricity.

5. IO loans are coming home to roost in huge numbers

6. The BTL/speculative market is far bigger

7. Bird Flu

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

I bet Kirsty will be on it <_< - or worse still that 'spawn of satan' women off one of the BBC propoganda programmes last year "there has NEVER been a better time to buy" etc..

Should make for interesting viewing though, and actually channel4 do tend to make some good unbiased programmes, so lets hope this is one of them.

12. Continuous inflation-busting council tax increases

Edited by Pete95

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

WATCH long term rates,

They have broken out (HIGHER) in the US, and Gilt rates may soon follow them higher.

This is the legacy of the DEBT BUBBLE, which is the real story this time around in the property cycle

Are you saying the Long Bond (30 year) is higher than the 10 year in the US? No more inverted yield curve? If so, Al's conundrum has been resolved and the long term mortgage rate will rise in the US steeply ending the property bubble.

HOLA4416

DBT - I think you're probably right in your thinking - although C4 can sometimes be non-spinning, more often than not (but not as often as the BBC of course) they do those 'infomercial' type headline grabbing programmes, which in the denoument (sp??) of the programme debunk the whole premise for the debate on whichever subject they're covering.

I remember C4 doing this SO MANY times - in particular a few years ago on Princess Diana's Death... it was a honey-pot for all conspiracy theorists, and I was sucked into thinking C4 were about to uncover the dreadful truth - but - OH NO - .....'it was all a nasty dream' afterall.

This will, I'm 95% sure, be exactly the same - unless they're doing this some wierd kind of 'get out clause' to all the VI programmes they've done bumping up the market?

Who knows..............who knows????

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

11. poll tax (didnt exist in 1980s)

What are you talking about? Poll tax was introduced in England in 1990, and abolished a couple of years later. The Council Tax was more like the original rates, but with a 25% discount for single persons - making it a bit like the poll tax.

So your point was?

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

19. Interest Rates are now lower and more stable.

20. We are not handcuffed to the ERM and have more control over our monetary policy.

21. The economy is not rapidly overheating as it was in the late 1980s when Lawson shadowed the £ against the German DM.

22. We have a Chancellor who wants to be Prime Minister for more than a year. (HPC is not a votewinner)

23. See 20. This time we can devalue sterling to cause inflation to erode debt. Just like in the 1970s. = Little or no nominal falls in house prices.

Edited by Without_a_Paddle

HOLA4424

One thing that is different this time round that has NOT been mentioned is the Great British public do not seem to care anymore.

Remember the outrage when unemployment hit a million in 1979? We now have well over a million with double that on incapacity benefit. The silence is deafening.

Remember the poll tax riots. We now have OAP's going to prison because they cannot afford their Council Tax. Who seems to care?

Remember the student riots from the 60's and 70's about Vietnam and any other popular cause. Even now with our soldiers dying in Iraq and students racking up huge debts at the end of their studies they trot quietly off to their bedsits.

Remember the outrage at Tory sleaze from only a decade ago. We now have a Govt. populated with Ministers that keep getting caught out with their financial dealings. What happens? They end up in grace and favour appartments or running the Euro Commission.

We have a Government that blatantly lies to it's electorate. We have a Prime Minister that goes to war on a lie. What happens? He stays in power after coming to terms with his God. So that's allright then.

What on Earth has happened to this country? Why have we become so passive? It's almost as if as a country we have given up.

Your thoughts please.........

HOLA4425

19. Technology(BUGGER) 24. Technology

I think technology such as STATELLITE (as Delboy would say) TV, Internet and Mobile Phones have made information more accessible. I think a lot of people get their news from either a newspaper or the 6'oclock news. I dont believe this has changed much. This is why the propaganda that we have is filtered trough these sources.

What has changed however, is the freedom of information. You can now look up a houseprice online and not just takes the EA's word for it. You can get information about a property via LR for £2 and and it tells you a LOT! You can have forums like this that educate and IMHO hold a lot more weight to arguements. I actually use other forums www.avforums.com for example for any HOME ENTERTAINMENT questions. Creative Labs forum because the X-FI Platinum and Music DONT WORK ON certain NFORCE 4 motherboards!!! I would not have know any of this information without this technology!

I believe that this techology and MEDIA is what makes it different this time. I think it will help the DEMISE of HPI rather than fuel it. We have a weapon now - KNOWLEDGE. This was never available and everyone HAD TO take all SPIN as face value.

Now people ARE starting to question it!

TB

One thing that is different this time round that has NOT been mentioned is the Great British public do not seem to care anymore.

Remember the outrage when unemployment hit a million in 1979? We now have well over a million with double that on incapacity benefit. The silence is deafening.

Remember the poll tax riots. We now have OAP's going to prison because they cannot afford their Council Tax. Who seems to care?

Remember the student riots from the 60's and 70's about Vietnam and any other popular cause. Even now with our soldiers dying in Iraq and students racking up huge debts at the end of their studies they trot quietly off to their bedsits.

Remember the outrage at Tory sleaze from only a decade ago. We now have a Govt. populated with Ministers that keep getting caught out with their financial dealings. What happens? They end up in grace and favour appartments or running the Euro Commission.

We have a Government that blatantly lies to it's electorate. We have a Prime Minister that goes to war on a lie. What happens? He stays in power after coming to terms with his God. So that's allright then.

What on Earth has happened to this country? Why have we become so passive? It's almost as if as a country we have given up.

Your thoughts please.........

Excellent post!!!!

I wish I could disagree with something .... but I cant!

TB

Edited by teddyboy