House Price Crash Forum

UK job market doing poorly

HOLA441
4 hours ago, Dreamcasting said:

Regardless of the role, it's all about productivity, efficiency and value for money. The sad fact of the matter is that many jobs performed by people in the UK are not valuable nor necessary. Once we've taken out a rather small percentage of those actually providing essential services, you're left with a barren wasteland. If people are to be paid more, they better actually be doing something that is useful and valuable in contrast to rocking on a chair complaining about being bored and miserable.

If the UK is serious about sorting the jobs market and wider economy, they can start by laying off the vast majority of lazy entitled public sector workers and help them move into productive private sector roles that will actually benefit the country. Just what those roles are though is a 64 thousand dollar question.

There are none. All making cuts or hiring freezes. 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
14 hours ago, henry the king said:

Unemployment up to 4.2%. Pay still rising way faster than it should be. Job postings extremely low.

It is tough out there

As others have mentioned (mainly on the other thread):

Minimum wage.

HOLA443
HOLA444
21 hours ago, spyguy said:

The defence sector in particular has been going nuits. Hardly surprising as the UK defence sector finds itself with its pants pulled down. Again.

There was a massive surge end of 23/Jan24. Id guess thats various quarterly and yearly targets being missed by a mile.

The number of people I know require, quitting PAYE, moving to a few days consulting has gone nuts since covid.

We seem to have reached a stage where high payroll taxes and the taste of WFH during Coof has brought forward about 10y of retirements.

Not sure how much of that NMW rises.

The rise of automation of low end jobs continues.

Equally, all the crappy eateries, stuffed with EE on UC ver the last 10-15y seem to be dying death.

Am iI no longer seeing gaggles of Indians -normally South Indians - dragging suitcases on wheels.

ie care sector/ have hit a brick wall with earning requirements.

Ill be happy when the last illegal ebike migrant doing deliveroo is put on the plane home.

P1ssed off those driving - not cycling - on the pavement.

Locally/regionally, I appear to be one of the very few people whose working FT in the private sector.

I still acknowledge/wave to the only other FT private sector bloke I know off as we pass. 

A lot of people have been broken by food, of my peer group of 5, 3 have maor illnesses and the other 2 have pre-diabetes, consumimg fast food and sugary food has destroyed the health of the country something policymakers have no considered

We are just about able to walk forget working

HOLA445
2 minutes ago, shlomo said:

A lot of people have been broken by food, of my peer group of 5, 3 have maor illnesses and the other 2 have pre-diabetes, consumimg fast food and sugary food has destroyed the health of the country something policymakers have no considered

I don't know why people choose to eat tasteless, expensive and nutritionless stuff.

There's loads of cheap, tasty and healthy food everywhere. 

HOLA446
11 minutes ago, Stewy said:

I don't know why people choose to eat tasteless, expensive and nutritionless stuff.

There's loads of cheap, tasty and healthy food everywhere. 

We are in different age bands

HOLA447
18 hours ago, Dreamcasting said:

Regardless of the role, it's all about productivity, efficiency and value for money. The sad fact of the matter is that many jobs performed by people in the UK are not valuable nor necessary. Once we've taken out a rather small percentage of those actually providing essential services, you're left with a barren wasteland. If people are to be paid more, they better actually be doing something that is useful and valuable in contrast to rocking on a chair complaining about being bored and miserable.

If the UK is serious about sorting the jobs market and wider economy, they can start by laying off the vast majority of lazy entitled public sector workers and help them move into productive private sector roles that will actually benefit the country. Just what those roles are though is a 64 thousand dollar question.

don't necessarily disagree about some public sector roles (minus teachers, doctors etc of course) but come on, the private sector is also riddled with inefficiency and BS jobs + a lot of the so-called private sector is basically sucking at the teat of govt spending (see the dizzying array of consultancies / contractors working for the civil service).

HOLA448
6 minutes ago, andrewwk said:

don't necessarily disagree about some public sector roles (minus teachers, doctors etc of course) but come on, the private sector is also riddled with inefficiency and BS jobs + a lot of the so-called private sector is basically sucking at the teat of govt spending (see the dizzying array of consultancies / contractors working for the civil service).

But it’s largely non unionised and there’s less places to hide. When the tide goes out especially in the private sector every rock is overturned when cost savings need to be found.

In contrast it’s nigh on impossible to get rid of time wasting public sector workers. Councils have literally had to go bankrupt first before redundancies start happening.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
3 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

How old are your unhealthy mates?

We are all close to retirement 

HOLA4411
3 minutes ago, shlomo said:

We are all close to retirement 

Gen X then, like me (just).

I wonder what "peak unhealthiness" will be?

Gen Z / A who basically don't drink and don't smoke (soon won't be allowed to!) might end up rather healthier than Gen X and Y...

HOLA4412
58 minutes ago, shlomo said:

We are in different age bands

I eat very healthily nowadays.

When I was a student 3.99 grease filled curries were frequently the norm! Only difference was you had to walk to the takeaway in those days, no apps to order it. I think some bigger places allowed you to phone up and ask for delivery.

HOLA4413
20 hours ago, scottbeard said:

Assume that's a typo for "many" and I don't think it's at all common any more.  Not so many have pensions that will stretch to State Pension Age at 66, and early retirement reductions are bigger than they once were.

I've looked at early retirement and the numbers don't really add up to pay for daily living costs. The main worry is being made redundantly in my fifties because I have the impression employers don't want people in these age brackets, especially if the managers are younger. Though personally when I have interacted with older people I found it very useful to avoid wasting time on blind alleys when they tell you your idea had this other name 30 years ago and it didn't work then either for reason X.

Edited by MancTom

HOLA4414
13 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

Gen Z / A who basically don't drink and don't smoke (soon won't be allowed to!) might end up rather healthier than Gen X and Y...

We think Covid may have had a big impact on our deteriorating health 

HOLA4415
1 hour ago, shlomo said:

Depends on your age.

To be expected  if you are 70+

However ... if you're under then you must be scum ....

Mrs spy has been getting wave after waver of scum parent/s relocating for the last ~10y.

Standard routine is Fat Shazza massives out with Fat Charmaine n Fatter Tiffannnee, or sleeps with one of the boyfirneds or kids, so needs to move.  Claims DV, so gets rehoused no questions - or prosecution.

Then when shes rehomes, Daft Dazza moves in. Stil claim to be single.

Anyhow, one particular couple of total scum turned up. Mid 20s, grossly obese. Both diabetic. never worked. Two scum kids.

Within 2 months the bloke literally ate himself to death - takeaways, no taking his meds, coma ... dead.

Six months later the mum did exactly the same - diabetic coma, didnt come and pick up kids, someone sent round, Police had to break in.

HOLA4416
1 hour ago, andrewwk said:

Rarely.

Ive seen it at peaks of mental growth - late 80s, late 90s. But didnt last long - few months.

Private sector have to earn to pay the wages. There's no bail out for the wage roll.

Very very little of private sector sucks at UKGOV teet. Small number of the same companies, who mainly have ex minister to grease the insane public sector spec and purchasing farce.

Most of the private sector swerves UKGOV.

HOLA4417
31 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Depends on your age.

To be expected  if you are 70+

However ... if you're under then you must be scum ....

Mrs spy has been getting wave after waver of scum parent/s relocating for the last ~10y.

Standard routine is Fat Shazza massives out with Fat Charmaine n Fatter Tiffannnee, or sleeps with one of the boyfirneds or kids, so needs to move.  Claims DV, so gets rehoused no questions - or prosecution.

Then when shes rehomes, Daft Dazza moves in. Stil claim to be single.

Anyhow, one particular couple of total scum turned up. Mid 20s, grossly obese. Both diabetic. never worked. Two scum kids.

Within 2 months the bloke literally ate himself to death - takeaways, no taking his meds, coma ... dead.

Six months later the mum did exactly the same - diabetic coma, didnt come and pick up kids, someone sent round, Police had to break in.

50 years ago diabetes was unknown since Covid nearly 10% of the UK population is diabetic, must be reasons, and something we need to push back against 

in my opinion it is processed foods and sugar and also lack of activity that seems to be the main cause 

HOLA4418
20 hours ago, Dreamcasting said:

No public sector worker should be allowed to retire and claim a public pension at 55. Fine if they have a front line role as the police they can be moved into a backroom role. Health issues aside of course and harsh penalties for any gaming the system.

I see why the founding fathers in the US said no public servants should be allowed to unionise, you can see there, here and elsewhere where this leads...it becomes "all about them" and the public are just a host for them, to leech off...

The reality is none of this will happen so the UK will continue to decay.

Anyone in their 20's and 30's now should just enjoy their youth, take extended holidays/working holidays and not let themselves be a cash cow for a bloated public sector and contributor to boomer perks when they aren't getting the same deal...When this housing correction really comes anyone jacked up to eyeballs with mortgages into the hundreds of thousands with a 100k on the side HTB and escalating service charges is at some point going to want to exit this country and never come back!....the only way to win is not to play!

Boomers and their paid for houses and rentals will be unscathed...hear that unscathed in the main..except the ones with big IO rental loans and thats not most of em..small percentage...

Edited by staintunerider

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
2 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

If it's actuarially reduced for early payment what's the issue?

Because the country needs them to keep working. Their national insurance contributions until they reach 66 are needed to balance the books.

HOLA4422
20 hours ago, Dreamcasting said:

Regardless of the role, it's all about productivity, efficiency and value for money. The sad fact of the matter is that many jobs performed by people in the UK are not valuable nor necessary. 

America is held up as the gold standard of productivity, yet the vast majority of jobs there are "non productive" - a far greater proportion of people paid to stand and stare into space than we have here in the UK.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
40 minutes ago, shlomo said:

50 years ago diabetes was unknown since Covid nearly 10% of the UK population is diabetic, must be reasons, and something we need to push back against 

in my opinion it is processed foods and sugar and also lack of activity that seems to be the main cause 

My Uncle and his family prone to type 2 diabetes.

I remember my cos explaining it to me and me thinking - WTF?

US chart - 

diabetes_0.gif

Putting aside better diagnostics, theres prob a correlation between fast food eaten n increase in car ownership/miles driven.

UK - and US - have been getting fatter n fatter since the 70s.

Coof seems to have just been the final push, giving a large number of people a year off work and lots of money to spend on food.

Mix  that with hysteria about not mixing, which resulted i nthe more lunatic staying indoors FFS.

HOLA4425
1 hour ago, scottbeard said:

And me.

In the search for "peak unhealthiness" please let me know when you or your actuaries figure it out. Although I eat a balanced diet, with my five (or more) a day, don't drink much and exercise regularly, I have on a regular basis quite a stressful job, which I think can be a real issue for future health problems, and may very well unpick a lot of the good things I am doing, so I am trying to plan accordingly. 😀