House Price Crash Forum

What would you do as a FTB in today's property market?

HOLA441

I was chatting to a mate yesterday over a pint. He's looking to move out with his long-term girlfriend and start a family, but the challenge is there doesn't appear to be any feasible options anymore?

• Freehold mortgage - Overpriced, need a massive deposit, repayments coming out at £1.7k
  • Leasehold flat - Overpriced, you don't own the land, short leases, and all seem in appalling condition
  • Shared ownership - Poor quality, he'll only own 50% of it, overpriced, small, ground rent, leasehold, service charges, rent, other scams and maintenance fees
  • Rent - No stability, landlord hikes prices every year, prices already around £1.6k-£1.7k, landlords haven't put in penny into the place in many years, not idea to raise a family
  • Moving further out - Again, even places 50 miles from London are overpriced nowadays, who wants to live 50 miles from their place of work and pay £6k per year on rail fare
  • Lodger - Limits the number of kids as the lodger is taking up a bedroom.

For the typical hard-working couple on an average to decent salary, there's not much that you can do now? The UK is over for these type of people, unless you have a wealthy family. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

The answer here is going to be heavily dependent upon definitions. Median London salary is 42k, so if the definition here of ‘decent’ salary is that or better x 2 then there are plenty of options.

85k or thereabouts x 4.5 = £382,500

5% deposit will top that up to 400k which is enough for a freehold 2/3 bedder in the burbs and then you come down from there to a parking space in Knightsbridge. 

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Move north and consider an entirely different life/lifestyle. You can get a house for £60k in cities like Hull. £200k would get something quite nice. £120k something reasonable. 

Leave the girlfriend and forget about kids, then travel. 

Live on a narrowboat with girlfeind and kid/s, lead a nomadic lifestyle, and work from home. 

HOLA447
1 hour ago, Quid Game said:

The answer here is going to be heavily dependent upon definitions. Median London salary is 42k, so if the definition here of ‘decent’ salary is that or better x 2 then there are plenty of options.

85k or thereabouts x 4.5 = £382,500

5% deposit will top that up to 400k which is enough for a freehold 2/3 bedder in the burbs and then you come down from there to a parking space in Knightsbridge. 

Median salary is inflated by bankers and other high paying careers though? It also includes people who are older people who earn more?

The median is London for a young FTB is probably like £30k-£35k

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
23 minutes ago, Housepricecrash91 said:

Median salary is inflated by bankers and other high paying careers though? It also includes people who are older people who earn more?

The mean salary would be affected tona greater extent by salaries at either end of the scale.

Median is the better statistic to use, in this case.

I stand ready to be corrected, though.... everyday's a school day and all that.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
1 hour ago, Housepricecrash91 said:

Nope. The median salary in London is in the region of 42k. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/416139/full-time-annual-salary-in-the-uk-by-region/

I’m using median for exactly the reason you say, so as to mitigate for outliers. Average would be skewed by bankers. Median gives the middle value if you like, therefore factors out the big earners and at the other end of the scale, the poorest. It Is by definition in this case the Joe Bloggs of boringville crescent.  

As per my original post, the answer to your question is going to come down to definitions. You didn’t state your couple were young first time buyers, you simply said they were earning decent money. So what is decent money? If your definition of this is 30-35k each then that changes things, and I would say that no, in London terms they are not earning decent money, and so are going to have to make compromises / will be priced out. If they are earning more than this then they can buy a property, it just isn’t going to be in the middle of Chelsea. 

What’s the budget and where are they looking to buy?

HOLA4414

I'd chill out. Definitely spend some of my house buying war chest on some popcorn, enjoy the free fireworks, and come down to take my pick of places in a couple of years.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

In the North, buying was a relative no brainedr when you could get fixes under 2%-3% - about 2013ish to 2022ish

Pitch offers at least 20% off.

Get a mortgage with at least 20 % down. Fix for 5y. Overpay at least 2%, ideally 5%, of original mortgage.

My idea - and I managed to sell it to a couple of couples - was you can afford a 30% hit IF you can save so much on the IR cost with a low fix.

Hammer down the balance on tge assumption IR will rise. And they did.

Different came now SVRs are 5%+

I guess tge same but offer 40% off....

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
4 hours ago, Stewy said:

WFH, move up north, buy with cash. 

✓✓✓

I normally don't bother you and think the other posters have been unfairly harsh but when you post nonsense like this, it's fully deserved.

What if WFH is not possible? Maybe their skill set is different and they need to be present such as a school teacher.

Young couple won't have the cash to buy outright.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425