House Price Crash Forum

Thursday's BoE meeting - what's your prediction?

Orb

Thursday's BoE meeting - what's your prediction?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think will happen to the interest base rate on Thursday?

• 0%
    • 0.25%
    • 0.5%
    • 0.75%
    • 1%
    • Other - please specify below

HOLA441
4 hours ago, Gbob said:

Energy costs down

Inflation down

Sept growth down

I think they will hold

Oil up.

CPI expected to increase due to above.

You mean July growth. This -0.5% was just a correction from the higher than expected +0.5% from June. Growth is effectively flat and they want a recession anyway.

2 hours ago, henry the king said:

Too early to say. Depends on the inflation data the day before almost entirely right now. 

Come on Henry, we all want your prediction. Don't sit on the fence.

Edited by fellow

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
1 hour ago, Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz said:

It will inevitably be a hold... followed by problems and a rise at the following meeting. 

There are problems coming through right now re: inflation... but the MPC always seems to be behind the curve, sadly. 

Yep that's a fair bet given how corrupt they are ...

HOLA446
1 hour ago, fellow said:

Not sure but this must be the strongest consensus yet?

This consensus might be herd mentality this time ... it being so strong  .... rather than the collective opinion of reasoned individuals?

But then as at time of writing there are 74 votes on this poll ... that's a big (distributed) "herd" ...?

HOLA447
7 hours ago, Aidan Ap Word said:

Does anyone know how many times in this series this forum has been correct?

Note: please don't just reply with "lots". I know this. I am wondering how many lots is. :)

100% correct so far. 

It was also noted the last poll's proportional spread mirrored the MPC too, in that x-percentage went for 0.25%, x-percentage went for 0%, and 0.5%. 

HOLA448
HOLA449
9 hours ago, fellow said:

Oil up.

CPI expected to increase due to above.

You mean July growth. This -0.5% was just a correction from the higher than expected +0.5% from June. Growth is effectively flat and they want a recession anyway.

Come on Henry, we all want your prediction. Don't sit on the fence.

D'oh Yes I meant, July. It's still September now. Fair point about oil let's see where that goes.

Still think they will take a wait and see approach this time round.

HOLA4410
8 hours ago, Aidan Ap Word said:

This consensus might be herd mentality this time ... it being so strong  .... rather than the collective opinion of reasoned individuals?

But then as at time of writing there are 74 votes on this poll ... that's a big (distributed) "herd" ...?

The issue is that not long ago anything from 0 to 1.00 was justifiable.

Now Bailey has pretty much said In advance it will be 0 or 0.25

So the playing field is much smaller, and naturally leads to more concentration

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Still don’t really follow why they just didn’t go to 5% plus rates straight away. I guess that the drip drip gives the impression that they know exactly what they are doing vs being out of control. Most people will be coming off 1% rates going straight to 5% anyway

i reckon 0.25% rise

Edited by clarkey

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I've gone 0.25%.

I think they have to raise, because of the earnings data. So 0.0% is very unlikely.

Also, whilst they do actually want a recession, to get inflation properly under control, they don't want to be seen as raising wildly into it, so 0.5% is also unlikely.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
16 minutes ago, Timm said:

Also, whilst they do actually want a recession, to get inflation properly under control, they don't want to be seen as raising wildly into it, so 0.5% is also unlikely.

I don't think it's that the WANT a recession in the abstract, I think it's more that they want to get inflation under control and a recession kind of does it for them.  I think Bailey thought a recession for H2 2023 was nailed on, and that's why the BoE didn't raise rates earlier.

So I think their ideal would be that the inflation works through on its own for external reasons, then Plan B is a recession and finally Plan C is actions they can be blamed for like interest rate rises.

HOLA4417
18 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

I don't think it's that the WANT a recession in the abstract, I think it's more that they want to get inflation under control and a recession kind of does it for them.  I think Bailey thought a recession for H2 2023 was nailed on, and that's why the BoE didn't raise rates earlier.

So I think their ideal would be that the inflation works through on its own for external reasons, then Plan B is a recession and finally Plan C is actions they can be blamed for like interest rate rises.

A good old recession will certainly work wonders for house prices, wish it would hurry up and arrive FFS.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Coming at this from a tangent:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/aug/31/bank-of-england-must-see-through-job-of-fighting-inflation-top-economist-says

the Bank of England’s chief economist said there were two ways for Threadneedle Street to bring UK inflation back to the government’s 2% target. One was the Matterhorn model, named after the jagged 4,478-metre high peak in the Alps, under which interest rates would go up sharply and come down sharply. Alternatively, the Bank could go down the Table Mountain route. This approach would involve a lower peak but then stay at a high altitude for a considerable period.

At first glance, it looks like he is saying that leaving rates at quite a high level for a long time is more stable and therefore better than swift sharp hikes and then having to cut. Makes sense, but how do you know you have reached the right level to hold at?

I think what they are actually saying is that they want inflation to come down, but slowly.

"Oh Lord, give me inflation at target, but not yet."

HOLA4420

So then, what a difference a week makes. Last week, the majority of the forum went with a 0.25% increase in rates. Given today's "surprising" inflation figures, I wonder how many people have changed to a hold?

I still thing +0.25% as inflation is still considerably higher than where it needs to be.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

I'm expecting +0.25%, as the other factors on paper (wage growth, food inflation, oil price, UK Sterling value) are all still heading in the wrong direction, and inflation, while falling, is still way above the target amount and hardly falling quickly. After all, a 0.1% fall in inflation is seen as 'good' because people were expecting to see a rise. If we had no expectations beforehand a 0.1% fall would have been seen as a sign that inflation is remaining way above the 2% target.

That said, I would not be surprised to see rates being held at the current level while uncertainty seems everywhere and the headline rate seems to be staying where it is, as much as I think this would be a daft decision.

HOLA4423
19 minutes ago, Dreamcasting said:

So then, what a difference a week makes. Last week, the majority of the forum went with a 0.25% increase in rates. Given today's "surprising" inflation figures, I wonder how many people have changed to a hold?

I still thing +0.25% as inflation is still considerably higher than where it needs to be.

Inflation fell all the way from 6.8% to 6.7%, which frankly is no change.  The best you can say is it didn't go up, which was expected.

It could go either way, but I would have thought a 0.25% rise with strong messages that "now we're going to pause" would be a sensible approach from the BoE.

HOLA4424
26 minutes ago, MrMonkey said:

I'm expecting +0.25%, as the other factors on paper (wage growth, food inflation, oil price, UK Sterling value) are all still heading in the wrong direction, and inflation, while falling, is still way above the target amount and hardly falling quickly. After all, a 0.1% fall in inflation is seen as 'good' because people were expecting to see a rise. If we had no expectations beforehand a 0.1% fall would have been seen as a sign that inflation is remaining way above the 2% target.

That said, I would not be surprised to see rates being held at the current level while uncertainty seems everywhere and the headline rate seems to be staying where it is, as much as I think this would be a daft decision.

Agreed, on the flip side you'd be expecting to see more significant drops by now to have confidence in holding. 

Edited by Casual-observer

HOLA4425