House Price Crash Forum

‘I have had clients in tears’: First-time buyers burned by Help to Buy

Lenelby

HOLA441

Scheme encouraged people to buy property now beyond their means, say critics

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/08/12/help-buy-scheme-first-time-buyers-downsize/

“Since buying, they have added two cars, two kids, loans and credit cards to their lives, and on top of this the Help to Buy interest payments are kicking in.”

Worth a read. It’s a long article. I don’t know if someone else can paste a link that’s not paywalled for those without a subscription. 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
19 minutes ago, Lenelby said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/08/12/help-buy-scheme-first-time-buyers-downsize/

“Since buying, they have added two cars, two kids, loans and credit cards to their lives, and on top of this the Help to Buy interest payments are kicking in.”

Worth a read. It’s a long article. I don’t know if someone else can paste a link that’s not paywalled for those without a subscription. 

From the article:

"Lenders are offering an enormous package of support, which includes letting homeowners make a temporary switch to interest-only payments or extending their mortgage terms....... The forbearance measures will perhaps stop an immediate crisis, but one way or another households have to be able to afford their mortgages and to repay them."

Support, fobearance?    No.  Lenders make more money from these measures. 

HOLA444

The htb loan has a much lower rate than a mortgage so in theory they should be better placed.

This is the problem with lending to people who couldn't afford to buy in the first place, they simply loaded up on more debt because the message given was don't worry about borrowing even if you can't afford it cos the government will step in.

There's no way around people not being able to afford property other than a decrease in prices.

Edited by sta100

HOLA445
HOLA446
3 hours ago, Lenelby said:

I thought that was the whole point of it.

HOLA447

Landlords are struggling too, says Mulheirn. Buy-to-let mortgages are excluded from the mortgage charter, under which struggling borrowers are entitled to support from banks, and the majority of landlords are on interest-only deals, which will see much bigger proportionate increases in costs.

😁

HOLA448

Under the scheme, which closed in March, buyers could purchase a new build home with a 5pc deposit and a 20pc Government-backed equity loan, or 40pc for those buying in London. This loan was interest-free for the first five years. After that, interest is charged at 1.75pc – a rate which then increases by a measure linked to inflation.

I can't believe that was the intention of the legislation.  But 1.75 pc is the specified rate.  It probably seemed quite high when the scheme was drawn up.  But now this is far lower than normal rates and there is a positive disincentive to paying it off.  And taxpayers continue to fund cheap loans.  Surely it would have been more sensible to specify "Base Rate plus 1%" or something similar?

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

The best comment I saw on this article.

HtB was cynically introduced to help the large construction companies, not the hapless purchasers. These companies donate large sums to certain political parties whereas young struggling couples do not (other than through ruinous levels of taxation, of course). 

The governing classes couldn't care less; they have their funds and the companies have their profits. Where will they look next to extract even more from the pockets of us all? That's the question.

And almost all of the replies called for net zero, heat pumps, CBDCs etc. You just know it.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
18 hours ago, Lenelby said:

A workmate I know , couldn't make the balloon payment recently. Hand the car back ? No , rolled it over to a new >£30k car . Mortgage soon to be increasing by around 35% too.

🤷

D

HOLA4415
35 minutes ago, Dames said:

A workmate I know , couldn't make the balloon payment recently. Hand the car back ? No , rolled it over to a new >£30k car . Mortgage soon to be increasing by around 35% too.

🤷

D

lots of people find themselves in this position. The problem they have is that car prices have run well in excess of inflation and now people are borrowing to buy something they dont realise they can no longer afford.

The car companies are a lot like the house builders ... they've jacked up prices and used finance to mask the true "up front" cost of their product yet they're facing a growing tide of default driven by their unrealistic "guaranteed future values" on lease deals that will bust some of them. 

HOLA4416
1 hour ago, regprentice said:

lots of people find themselves in this position. The problem they have is that car prices have run well in excess of inflation and now people are borrowing to buy something they dont realise they can no longer afford.

The car companies are a lot like the house builders ... they've jacked up prices and used finance to mask the true "up front" cost of their product yet they're facing a growing tide of default driven by their unrealistic "guaranteed future values" on lease deals that will bust some of them. 

Haven't we had swell-flation in cars?

The latest Ford Ka is bigger than early Fiestas. A modern Focus estate is the same size as a Volvo estate from 30 years ago. The latest suburban SUVs can seat as many as a small minibus could in decades past. They're used as runabouts. And of course all that extra steel and engineering costs money.

Edited by Si1

HOLA4417
2 hours ago, Dames said:

🤷

D

That time is coming to an end quick sharp. Company insolvencies are on the rise and eventually it will hit the car companies. Gov can't back bail outs whilst inflation is prevalent.

Watch this space.

HOLA4418
2 hours ago, Dames said:

🤷

D

F#ck

HOLA4419
10 minutes ago, nero120 said:

That time is coming to an end quick sharp. Company insolvencies are on the rise and eventually it will hit the car companies. Gov can't back bail outs whilst inflation is prevalent.

Watch this space.

Yeah we argue like cats and dogs here but we probably have more in common with each other than these tedious debt junkies f#cktards

HOLA4420
17 hours ago, Dyson Fury said:

I can't believe that was the intention of the legislation.  But 1.75 pc is the specified rate.  It probably seemed quite high when the scheme was drawn up.  But now this is far lower than normal rates and there is a positive disincentive to paying it off.  And taxpayers continue to fund cheap loans.  Surely it would have been more sensible to specify "Base Rate plus 1%" or something similar?

How does 1.75% work if it's increasing in line with 10% inflation? 

Does that mean it doubles every 7 years? 

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
41 minutes ago, 24gray24 said:

How does 1.75% work if it's increasing in line with 10% inflation? 

Does that mean it doubles every 7 years? 

1.75%

1.92%

2.11%

2.32%

(Up 10% each time)

So yeah it does 

Edited by Si1

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
2 hours ago, Si1 said:

Haven't we had swell-flation in cars?

The latest Ford Ka is bigger than early Fiestas. A modern Focus estate is the same size as a Volvo estate from 30 years ago. The latest suburban SUVs can seat as many as a small minibus could in decades past. They're used as runabouts. And of course all that extra steel and engineering costs money.

On the one hand thats true ..and that really annoys me because ive a parking space that is 4.2 meters deep and car lengths for family cars are getting bigger than that size. 

But on the other hand some models haven't changed dimensions in 7-9 years, only getting a cosmetic facelift, and their price still goes up. 

HOLA4425