House Price Crash Forum

Is A Tory Savings Raid Next on Their Agenda To Help The Poor

FANG

HOLA441
3 hours ago, msi said:

Tory'ism is fine till you run out of money to steal....

Very droll and very true. They ran out of poor people's money now they have to come after the rich(er). (But not the really rich)

Edited by Si1

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
8 minutes ago, MARTINX9 said:

I think we all thought the same last time we got rid of the Tories and put in Labour or got rid of Labour and put the Tories back in. We have been rinsing and repeating this merry go round for 80 years bar a brief interlude from 2010 to 2015.

It has got to be better isn't good enough! Maybe its time for some real change - and to not keep repeating the same mistakes?

Not guilty of "got rid of the Tories and put in Labour", but certainly guilty of "got rid of Labour and put the Tories back in".

I certainly agree with the need for real change and "to not keep repeating the same mistakes".

HOLA443
1 hour ago, Bruce Banner said:

Whatever it is, it has to be better than the current Tory rump.

Not really.

More greenery, wokism on steroids, open passage for all and sundry who want to pitch up here, more tax for the same crappy services and even more state bureaucrats.  The managed decline will accelerate.

The blues are crap but the red ones would be even more crap.

Anyway, I agree when people say we need a Labour government - but not for the reasons they assume.  A new generation need to get 'Labour are better' out of their system and learn they are just as bad (usually worse) than a blue one.

HOLA444
1 hour ago, MARTINX9 said:

I think we all thought the same last time we got rid of the Tories and put in Labour or got rid of Labour and put the Tories back in. We have been rinsing and repeating this merry go round for 80 years bar a brief interlude from 2010 to 2015.

It has got to be better isn't good enough! Maybe its time for some real change - and to not keep repeating the same mistakes?

You had an opportunity to vote for change in 2017 and 2019.

You won't be given another.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/keir-starmer-says-rather-sit-151821475.html

Keir Starmer has said he would rather sit next to Piers Morgan than Jeremy Corbyn.

The Arsenal fan was asked which of his two fellow supporters he would prefer to watch a match with.

Without hesitation, Starmer replied: “Piers Morgan.”

His comments, on the News Agents podcast, are further evidence of the deep split between the Labour leader and his predecessor.

Corbyn had the Labour whip removed in 2020 following his response to the Equalities and Human Rights Commission’s report into anti-Semitism in the party when he was leader.

Speaking last month, Starmer said “he doesn’t see the circumstances” in which Corbyn will be Labour’s candidate in his Islington North seat at the next election.

Elsewhere in his interview, which took place at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Starmer said he would rather be there than Westminster.

He said: “Westminster is too constrained. And you know, it’s closed and we’re not having meaning.

“Once you get out of Westminster, whether established or anywhere else, you actually engage with people that you can see working with in the future of Westminster is just as a tribal shouting place.”

HOLA445
5 hours ago, FANG said:

there was another article in the grauniad the other week from the same lefty thinktank, talking about "unearned interest" on savings...they really seem to hate anyone who has been prudent enough to save any money

Edited by andrewwk

HOLA446
11 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

You had an opportunity to vote for change in 2017 and 2019.

You won't be given another.

The man folded like a cheap deck chair over his long held hard line Brexit principles, he couldn't have done half of what he wanted to do under that basis alone. 

I really don't know how anyone can be deluded enough to remotely think either Labour or Tory will deliver anything, their orders come down from the Davos level. 

HOLA447
10 minutes ago, Casual-observer said:

I really don't know how anyone can be deluded enough to remotely think either Labour or Tory will deliver anything, their orders come down from the Davos level. 

Well we either vote Con or Lab for More of the same.

Or try another party like Reform UK who with enough support could effect real change. 

HOLA448
1 hour ago, Mandalorian said:

Not really.

More greenery, wokism on steroids, open passage for all and sundry who want to pitch up here, more tax for the same crappy services and even more state bureaucrats.  The managed decline will accelerate.

The blues are crap but the red ones would be even more crap.

Anyway, I agree when people say we need a Labour government - but not for the reasons they assume.  A new generation need to get 'Labour are better' out of their system and learn they are just as bad (usually worse) than a blue one.

First things first, this disgraceful government has to go and I say that as a former lifelong Conservative.

Lifelong that is until Cameron started the lying thing which BJ took to new heights and Sunak is continuing. 

Conservative-Party-Manifesto-2010.pdf (general-election-2010.co.uk)

One thing is clear. We can’t go on with the old model of an economy built on debt. Irresponsible public spending, an overblown banking sector, and unsustainable consumer borrowing on the back of a housing bubble were the features of an age of irresponsibility that left Britain badly exposed to the economic crisis. Now, with the national debt already doubled and in danger of doubling again, it is this debt – together with the jobs tax that Labour will introduce to help pay for it – that threatens to kill the recovery.

Edited by Bruce Banner

HOLA449

Think tanks are selling a product. To remain solvent they need to  attract funding from either sympathetic rich individuals, businesses, or be paid to advise the government ( often to provide justification for what the government was going to do anyway). If this Think-tank told the truth, that real inequality,that the majority of wealth, especially unearned wealth, has been caused by ultra low interest rates and other policies that have inflated the property market, they wouldn't have many takers for their product. The current government and keir Starmer's Labour are terrified of any policies that might upset home owners or older voters. Those that work for the think tank are also unlikely to get much traction within the media for the same reason.

The very wealthy are not holding much of their wealth in a cash ISA, the majority of the indebted population don't have the recommended three months salary saved, let alone a hundred grand. So they know they are only going to upset a relatively small number of people with this.

HOLA4410
1 hour ago, andrewwk said:

there was another article in the grauniad the other week from the same lefty thinktank, talking about "unearned interest" on savings...they really seem to hate anyone who has been prudent enough to save any money

What about ‘unearned equity’?  Nah, I bet they didn’t think of that one. 🤔

HOLA4411
2 hours ago, Casual-observer said:

The man folded like a cheap deck chair over his long held hard line Brexit principles, he couldn't have done half of what he wanted to do under that basis alone. 

If the banksters are left in control then nothing will ever change, Brexit or not. The evidence of which can be seen all around us seven years later.

John McDonnell flew to Davos in 2018 and told them how much they were despised.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/jan/26/john-mcdonnell-davos-uk-business-wef-voters

John McDonnell: I'm in Davos to tell the elite they are held in contempt

The UK shadow chancellor, John McDonnell, has used his debut appearance at the World Economic Forum to warn leaders of global businesses that they are held in contempt by ordinary voters who have struggled through a decade of austerity.

Interviewed by the Guardian in Davos, McDonnell said he found the euphoria in Davos about the modest pick-up in world growth shocking, adding that those running big corporations were guilty of complacency.

“You get the feeling that they are cut off in their compound from what people on the outside are feeling,” he said. “There is an ecstatic reaction to a turn in the economic cycle that was inevitable. They don’t understand the deep alienation.”

HOLA4412
2 hours ago, andrewwk said:

FFS.

Do you earn more money from wages or from dividends and interest?

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
2 hours ago, Bob8 said:

FFS.

Do you earn more money from wages or from dividends and interest?

from wages of course, but one day I will need to live off my savings and therefore I think it is bs to cap tax free savings at 100k. and I don't appreciate your aggressive tone.

Edited by andrewwk

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
6 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

First things first, this disgraceful government has to go and I say that as a former lifelong Conservative.

Lifelong that is until Cameron started the lying thing which BJ took to new heights and Sunak is continuing. 

Conservative-Party-Manifesto-2010.pdf (general-election-2010.co.uk)

Agree.  They have to go, but replacing them with something worse is not the way to go.  And worse is what you would get.

HOLA4417
44 minutes ago, Mandalorian said:

Agree.  They have to go, but replacing them with something worse is not the way to go.  And worse is what you would get.

That's the standard Tory party line on the subject. 

They must go ASAP, they are as bad as bad can be and worse is not what we will get. To that end, I shall be voting tactically against them at the next election.

Whatever party has the best chance of beating the Tories in my constituency will have my vote and I have informed my Tory MP, in no uncertain terms, of my intention.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
14 hours ago, FANG said:

I don't suppose they have considered raiding offshore bank accounts and criminals proceeds of crime rather than going for ordinary tax paying citizens.  

This. +10000

Not one speech, not one pledge. Its all a scam and voting is worthless for our children and grand-children until world goverments tackle this.

HOLA4420
7 hours ago, andrewwk said:

from wages of course, but one day I will need to live off my savings and therefore I think it is bs to cap tax free savings at 100k. and I don't appreciate your aggressive tone.

So the two options are we have an exemption for you personally, or we strike a balance between savings and earnings that is missing at the moment.

Sorry you do not like my tone. If it helps I am blowing you kisses right now to salve your feelings.

HOLA4421

The UK investor is currently very lucky with tax free savings and allowances. There is plenty to cut. Here in Germany there are no ISA equivalent, very small dividend/interest tax free allowance and very limited and expensive pension schemes. You don't get anything like the flexibility of a SIPP, for example (the only one I know where you have a free investment choice forces the purchase of an expensive annuity).

HOLA4422
10 hours ago, BaldED said:

I think they will probably just lower the annual limit like in the old days when you actually earned interest.

It was capped at £6k if I remember.

I recall maximums of £3K cash, £3K Stocks and shares, and £1K life insurance. Most of my ISAs dates back to that time. If you took money out it couldn't be put back in. That was a good thing as interest rates were priced as if the account was a multi year fix since that was how people treated them.

13 minutes ago, xiox said:

The UK investor is currently very lucky with tax free savings and allowances. There is plenty to cut. Here in Germany there are no ISA equivalent, very small dividend/interest tax free allowance and very limited and expensive pension schemes. You don't get anything like the flexibility of a SIPP, for example (the only one I know where you have a free investment choice forces the purchase of an expensive annuity).

The grass is always greener etc. I was reading how Americans can take out $20000. of fed backed inflation linked savings each year. Even if taxed that would be worth more than any cash ISA. Maybe @TerryBoican fill us in on that.

HOLA4423
4 hours ago, Bob8 said:

So the two options are we have an exemption for you personally, or we strike a balance between savings and earnings that is missing at the moment.

Sorry you do not like my tone. If it helps I am blowing you kisses right now to salve your feelings.

hello, earth to Bob8 - unaffordable rents by rapacious landlords / ridiculously inflated housing values requiring financial suicide moves to get on the property ladder are the reasons that most people in the UK don't have a pot to piss in, not the savings of a few thousand white collar workers. But y'know, carry being a useful idiot for the real elites with your tiresome divide and rule tactics. 

btw, think you have some anger management issues, friend, going from zero to full troll in two posts...

HOLA4424
12 hours ago, Casual-observer said:

Again though, corbyn fell at the first hurdle…let alone taking on the banking elite…pffffff

You can’t seriously present the man as some sort of viable option that was missed

JC didn't fall at the first hurdle! He actually came within 2,500 votes of winning in 2017. The Mcarthyite campaign of smears and abuse then ranged against him by the non-dom press, the parliamentary Labour Party and the BBC destroyed his chances in 2019. That and the fuzzy-minded Brexit triangulation concocted by Starmer.

HOLA4425
7 minutes ago, andrewwk said:

hello, earth to Bob8 - unaffordable rents by rapacious landlords / ridiculously inflated housing values requiring financial suicide moves to get on the property ladder are the reasons that most people in the UK don't have a pot to piss in, not the savings of a few thousand white collar workers. But y'know, carry being a useful idiot for the real elites with your tiresome divide and rule tactics. 

btw, think you have some anger management issues, friend, going from zero to full troll in two posts...

Dear people,

Please, be less stupid. It will help you and everyone around you :D

I am a well paid, white collar worker. I am certainly not the person who is hoarding great wealth. If I was happily sat on my arse, with serval millions in investment, I would be paying a far smaller proportion in tax. Still, if you think that the true elites are secretly wanting to boost benefit payments, then you mum had a drinking problem.