House Price Crash Forum

BBC: Workers over 50 encouraged to end early retirement

HOLA441

It's laughable that Rishi Sunak, the unelected billionaire and tax avoider, is begging early retirees to come back into the workforce. Does this deluded guy need another pool cleaner or letter opener? As hotback42 correctly states, successive British governments have thrown people on the scrap heap; it started with the offshoring of professional jobs back in the mid to late 90s. It was a deliberate action. I remember Blair (remember that war criminal?) saying "It's inevitable that more jobs will be lost to offshoring". Then Brown caused the BTL craze by abolishing pension tax relief. British jobs are not very well paid after the excessive taxes which is why Sunak likes to avoids tax and why people like me left the country. I suspect many people have decided to retire early because they see an opportunity to enjoy a few good work-free years whilst they can. Who can blame them? 

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
2 hours ago, anonguest said:

There are 1.247 million out of registered unemployed. Almost ONE AND A QUARTER MILLION!  And you call that a tight labour market.

How about 'incentivising' just a fraction of those, particularly younger claimants, to get off their arses - rather than seek to punish those whose working lives are nearly over and choose to make a personal decision about whether or not to stop working.

I agree. A start would be making work pay, rather than paying just enough not to die. And to be honest if I had to choose between the two, I'd choose not working. 

HOLA443
21 minutes ago, Postman said:

I agree. A start would be making work pay, rather than paying just enough not to die. And to be honest if I had to choose between the two, I'd choose not working. 

Yes, this makes a lot of sense. It's been easier to import and offshore trained staff to keep the wages low. British work ethic has never been the problem; it's the British governments that create the problems. They want us to fight each other so we don't turn on them. With a general strike looming it doesn't look good.

Edited by Xurbia
poor grammar.

HOLA444
4 hours ago, sta100 said:

No I'm not the proof is earlier in this thread when you laughed at the post made by @sPinwheelwhere he negatively stereotyped older white men for no reason other than to try to negate a valid point that it's difficult for people to cope when workplace cultures and practices change. That doesn't infer that there was any level of sexism or racism on their part in the first place.

Think you need to learn to read a bit better

HOLA445
4 hours ago, sta100 said:

older white men is a subgroup that is negatively stereotyped. you partook in in in this thread whether you like it or not, it's there and you need to take a good look at yourself.

and no im not going to jog on when pointing out when discrimination is occurring. as an ethnic minority if you care so much about our plight, I don't need people like you causing more division.

Sorry did I just read that right. As a white older male you are an ethnic minority?

HOLA446
13 hours ago, HousePriceTooHigh said:

I've been saying this for a while. With the labour market being so tight right now we need to get everybody back to work. Should apply to anyone under ~67/68. Get them back to work -- plenty of jobs in care homes, nursing, ambulances, retail, hospitality, etc.

A good incentive would be an additional inheritance tax for early retirement. Retire under state pension age = flat 40% inheritance tax on everything, including gifts.

One in two over 50's have a chronic health condition, no doubt even higher once you hit 67/68, so the idea of getting loads of people that age working again is just not realistic. We have 8 million economically inactive between 16 and 64 and AI/ML is about automate the living crap out of many jobs so there will be no need in near future ... 

Edited by petetong

HOLA447
41 minutes ago, petetong said:

One in two over 50's have a chronic health condition, no doubt even higher once you hit 67/68, so the idea of getting loads of people that age working again is just not realistic. We have 8 million economically inactive between 16 and 64 and AI/ML is about automate the living crap out of many jobs so there will be no need in near future ... 

I'm no fan of UBI, but it may be the only option for the UK if you can't maintain tight borders. You simply cannot have a country with millions idle, contributing nothing and incapable of contributing anything in the face of technology.

You'll need to take from the haves and give to the have nots.

No idea how that all works out, but seems to be the only option.

HOLA448
7 hours ago, kzb said:

Don't forget, if you retire early, which in most schemes seems to be defined as pre-65, the pension is reduced, irrespective that you have 30 years service.  I guess the lump sum would reduce pro-rata also.

On the teachers scheme now, it is not 65 but state retirement age.  Possibly there are more schemes doing this also.

Although I didn't say it I allowed for that in the calculation. 4% a year below 65 where I work, so an extra 5 years work would give you 6 months salary more tax free lump sum if you wanted it.

HOLA449
4 hours ago, Postman said:

There's over 500,000 NEETs, with 320,000 of them who could work if motivated to do so.

It can't be healthy.

But also there are lots of under-employed older people.  In the 1990's pension funds had so much money they didn't know what to do with it all.  They used it to offload staff, making up their pensions to the full amount at ridiculously low ages.  And I mean 43, I saw it with my own eyes.

HOLA4410
1 hour ago, TenYearToGetMyMoneyBack said:

Although I didn't say it I allowed for that in the calculation. 4% a year below 65 where I work, so an extra 5 years work would give you 6 months salary more tax free lump sum if you wanted it.

I guess they have it all figured out to be cost-neutral to the pension scheme.

HOLA4411
3 hours ago, petetong said:

I don't even think it is necessarily physical.  The fact is you are so mentally tired of it all. 

For example.  The retirement age for teachers is now 68.  I'm not a teacher I hasten to add.  But the thought of being a secondary school teacher full time until 68 does not bear thinking about.

HOLA4412
On 24/12/2022 at 09:24, HousePriceTooHigh said:

I've been saying this for a while. With the labour market being so tight right now we need to get everybody back to work. Should apply to anyone under ~67/68. Get them back to work -- plenty of jobs in care homes, nursing, ambulances, retail, hospitality, etc.

A good incentive would be an additional inheritance tax for early retirement. Retire under state pension age = flat 40% inheritance tax on everything, including gifts.

However many of us have been made redundant and/or denied work for having the temerity of turning 50 years old. To top it off, after being unemployed for 6 months, most employers are totally put off, ie now you have 2 handicaps and prejudices working against you. Happened to me and the wife.  As for driving ambulances, only a complete idiot would not realise that training and qualifications are required. Very few people have the stomach to wipe arses.  What amazes me is the fact that all you people telling older people to get back to work, a year or so ago were telling older people to stop hogging jobs and make way for selfish young people like yourself. 

Edited by steve99

HOLA4413
4 minutes ago, steve99 said:

However many of us have been made redundant and/or denied work for having the temerity of turning 50 years old. To top it off, after being unemployed for 6 months, most employers are totally put off, ie now you have 2 handicaps and prejudices working against you. Happened to me and the wife.  As for driving ambulances, only a complete idiot would not realise that training and qualifications are required. Very few people have the stomach to wipe arsed.  What amazes me is the fact that all you people telling older people to get back to work, a year or so ago were telling older people to stop hogging jobs and make way for selfish young people like yourself. 

Bravo!

HOLA4414
11 hours ago, Chunketh said:

Sorry did I just read that right. As a white older male you are an ethnic minority?

I suspect, means, treated with extreme prejudice and contempt by potential employers, which is an absolute truth. Ageism is the last legal prejudice avaliable for employers to discriminate against and I don't believe to have been successfully legally challenged in court yet. 

Edited by steve99

HOLA4415
23 hours ago, wighty said:

Sure the employers would love a load of old foggies creeping around.

You will be amazed how quickly you go from being 30 years old to being an old foggy approaching 50, at which age nobody else in the workplace wants you around drooling at your desk and sleeping all day, never mind sh**ting your pants.  These are the facts that all younger people know.

HOLA4416

These days 50 is not old most folk have the best of 20years before state pension they should be able to work if they want to. However if they can afford to retire and are not taking massive state handouts and funding their retirement from private income then why the hell not? Sunak can get stuffed with his massive tax burden which he and his family cleverly avoid

HOLA4417
8 hours ago, kzb said:

I don't even think it is necessarily physical.  The fact is you are so mentally tired of it all. 

For example.  The retirement age for teachers is now 68.  I'm not a teacher I hasten to add.  But the thought of being a secondary school teacher full time until 68 does not bear thinking about.

I think alot will depend on whether you outright own your house once you get to those older years.

If mortgage is all paid off then some will be able to cut down ro part time, especially if they have got some savi gs as well.

The ones who will be screwed are those who took on late mortgages or renters, who will just have to try and make sure they have enough of a pension to cope with a reduced sum if they plsn to stop before 70.

HOLA4418
1 hour ago, steve99 said:

You will be amazed how quickly you go from being 30 years old to being an old foggy approaching 50, at which age nobody else in the workplace wants you around drooling at your desk and sleeping all day, never mind sh**ting your pants.  These are the facts that all younger people know.

You can join Saga at 50. 

Then there are those TV adverts with the silver foxes on the golf course, or on a cruise, advertising to "the over 50's".

The reality is, you've got 18 years after 50, time enough for a very successful career.  Also the only time when you might have enough spare income to build a decent pension pot (if you are lucky).

HOLA4419
1 hour ago, Depressedpedro said:

I think alot will depend on whether you outright own your house once you get to those older years.

If mortgage is all paid off then some will be able to cut down ro part time, especially if they have got some savi gs as well.

The ones who will be screwed are those who took on late mortgages or renters, who will just have to try and make sure they have enough of a pension to cope with a reduced sum if they plsn to stop before 70.

Absolutely.  You don't want to be paying rent out of your pension.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
15 hours ago, Xurbia said:

Then Brown caused the BTL craze by abolishing pension tax relief. 

I hadn’t realised there was no tax relief on pension contributions, think you may be wrong, as there still is, did you mean abolishing the dividend tax relief?  Something very different and if that is what you mean, I don’t see how that links to the BTL craze?

HOLA4424
14 minutes ago, nome said:

Have you seen the level of benefits available to your typical degenerate feckless breeder who's capable of fully gaming the system?

I don't know it is difficult to get at the truth. 

I do know that unemployment benefit is about £75 a week, which would be very difficult if that were your only source of money.

HOLA4425