House Price Crash Forum

Energy Prices: How many businesses will shut down.

HOLA441

The energy price cap is a tool used by Ofgem to protect the consumer, not businesses. Energy Suppliers are now passing on their costs to businesses by increasing their business gas and business electricity costs. Some businesses have received quotes exceeding a staggering 70p/kWh, making operations extremely challenging.

-------------------------

I have been wondering of the impact of the energy price increase on business activity, are lots of businesses going to shut down as cannot put the new cost on to customers

going-out-of-business.jpg

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

My mate’s pub (quite a big space) had the energy prices go up an eye watering amount on the last hike. I think he’s fkked now. There will be zero profit once the energy costs are paid for most restaurants/bars. This cold season people won’t go out for a drink or a meal somewhere to sit in the freezing cold. How many others will go?

Edited by Dogsy

HOLA446
1 hour ago, shlomo said:

The energy price cap is a tool used by Ofgem to protect the consumer, not businesses. Energy Suppliers are now passing on their costs to businesses by increasing their business gas and business electricity costs. Some businesses have received quotes exceeding a staggering 70p/kWh, making operations extremely challenging.

-------------------------

I have been wondering of the impact of the energy price increase on business activity, are lots of businesses going to shut down as cannot put the new cost on to customers

I wonder if they've considered requiring all their employees "work from home" - so they can avoid having to pay commercial rates?  What could possibly go wrong?  I'm looking forwards to seeing the new 'work from home opportunities' for aluminium smelting and that sort of thing.

I suspect that the focus on energy costs is a deliberate attempt to talk-down inflation.  Traditionally, energy costs (especially fuel for transport and gas for heating - and, to a lesser extent, electricity) have correlated with the wholesale price of oil.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/quote/CLc1/

Is talking up inflation expectations intended to drive up inflation?  Is this a high-level strategy to drive up wages?

HOLA447
3 minutes ago, Dogsy said:

My mate’s pub (quite a big space) had the energy prices go up an eye watering amount on the last hike. I think he’s fkked now. There will be zero profit once the energy costs are paid for most restaurants/bars. This cold season people won’t go out for a drink or a meal somewhere to sit in the freezing cold. How many others will go?

Doesn't sound very snug.

HOLA448
4 minutes ago, Dogsy said:

How many businesses are profitable at the new energy prices 

HOLA449
9 minutes ago, FallingAwake said:

Yeah. Why the need for the red splodge between "Going" and "Out"?

Perhaps it would have been clearer... if the photo had its original annotation:  "Pedestrians walk past a store going out of business on Fifth Avenue in New York, U.S., on Monday, Nov. 16, 2009."

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Lots. 

And it's one of the things that jumped out at me (when the UK government were refusing any sort of windfall tax on oil revenues at all).

Are we really going to throw the country under the bus for the banks and the petrobucks?

Edited by byron78

HOLA4412
8 minutes ago, FallingAwake said:

That sounds like a dog chasing its own tail.

My point exactly.  We are now in an environment where the rules-of-thumb, that used to provide an adequate approximation to the mechanisms that affect daily life, might no longer work very well.

We're seeing fundamental questions being asked by those at the heart of government... including, for example, asking how the BoE remit should be set... and the extent to which the BoE should act independently of the Treasury.

HOLA4413
37 minutes ago, Dogsy said:

Ditto with a restaurant - not spoken to him yet but they were struggling with post Brexit staff issues.

Heard on the radio that what many restaurants have done is shut down on less economical days so that increasingly might be a strategy to deal with energy costs too.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
1 minute ago, nothernsoul said:

Don't forget public sector buildings. Budgets for schools and the like will need to be increased, otherwise staff will need to be let go. Think of all the classrooms in a secondary school that need to be heated all day.

Yep, they have a budget so yes staff cuts 

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
10 minutes ago, Maghull Mike said:

May be this one

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-62422873

I recall Shotton shut in the early 80's, 30,000 jobs gone.

They only 4,000 & frankly after a few more bale outs its going to cost about a £1 million per job kept.

Mike

Yes Port Talbot should close Putin is selling Gas and Coal cheaper to China, India and Turkey so its not just chepaer wages its cheaper energy as well.

HOLA4419
29 minutes ago, Maghull Mike said:

May be this one

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-62422873

I recall Shotton shut in the early 80's, 30,000 jobs gone.

They only 4,000 & frankly after a few more bale outs its going to cost about a £1 million per job kept.

Mike

Doesn't look like there is much hope for Port Talbot

Tata wants a handout to keep it going and seem to have one foot out the exit door

And as the article says, can't even repurpose it for "green" steel as when you capture the carbon you need to ship it somewhere else (which will cost a hell of a lot more than a pipe)

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425