House Price Crash Forum

UK credit card debt hits record high as inflation and cost of living bite

HOLA441
57 minutes ago, Bear Goggles said:

Lack of supply? Presumably that's what driven the secondhand car market so hard. Prices have literally doubled. I've assumed it was a complete drop off of production and sales during covid resulting in not enough 2 - 3 year old cars hitting the market now. Presumably that will pass.

Never seen the attraction of expensive watches, or pens for that matter. It's one of those things you have to know about to appreciate. I guess if you own some you know what to look for.

It's definitely supply, yeah. 

Son is into property far more than me so I get a lot from him. Huge influx of foreign money last year from Asia and the Gulf states (apparently). There are loads of spivvy types in London running BTL portfolios or simply maintaining completely empty flats investing in it all from abroad. Again, if the Brits can't buy they will just have to rent (and compete for the handfuls of those presently coming up).

Most of my watches were gifts btw. I have lots of mason ones and stuff. I've never really been into them tbh.

Edited by byron78

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
1 hour ago, Tiger131 said:

That Rolex will be worth a lot more than 3k, which model is it?

Genuinely don't know! Will take a pic for you if you like. Might even delve deeper and see what else is in there. 

I honestly don't know what is a good watch and what isn't. 

I know Rolex is considered decent but it just irritated me, hence its relegation to the drawer. I take my watch off before bed and it was always dead next morning, so lots of shaking and reseting the time etc. Pain in the A.

HOLA443
19 hours ago, skinnylattej said:

Like others on this thread, I buy everything I can on my credit card, and it's paid of automatically at the end of each month.  CC is much safer than cash or, when purchasing over the internet, a debit card.

I'm bring forward planned expenditure on 'big ticket' items as fast as I can, as inflation will take hold, and everything will be more expensive.

Recently looked at a replacement car.  It was over-priced, so I tried to negotiate a discount, salesman said no discount, 'take it or leave it' as he can sell every car on the forecourt very easily.  He also said that they were having trouble getting new cars from Renault and Suzuki.  While I was at the dealership, the showroom was very busy.

Yeah, also working out what expensive stuff I will be wanting in the next couple of years and trying to buy it now ... Problem I'm finding is that a LOT of stuff is out of stock at the moment.  eg.  Wanted to drop over three grand on a high-capacity battery 'Power Station' (can be charged off of mains or solar) as a potential backup system for the house in case of power cuts and it's simply not available anywhere and no word from the manufacturer on when it will be back in stock.

If/when it does come back, price will be substantially up I reckon and will only go higher after that.

Looking to get a load of maintenance/improvement work done on the house ASAP and get my car resprayed and all near-term maintenance/servicing work done now before the materials needed get more expensive and hard to find.

HOLA444
5 hours ago, Sour Mash said:

Looking to get a load of maintenance/improvement work done on the house ASAP and get my car resprayed and all near-term maintenance/servicing work done now before the materials needed get more expensive and hard to find.

Trying to find a builder to carry out work on my house, not a huge project, but no-one will even quote.

Friend is self-employed electrician, mostly domestic work, has 6 months work already.

Another friend who refits bathrooms, is looking to take on a plumber, good rate of pay for the area + bonus + traveling costs, and no takers.

HOLA445
On 30/03/2022 at 07:57, Bear Goggles said:

Totally agree, it’s surreal.

I’m conscious that I’m probably living  in a bubble right now. We’ve had a big increase in our family income over the past couple of years (new jobs) and a significant decrease in our expenditure — less commuting, plus fewer holidays/ eating out etc over lockdown — and we got on a 2y fixed energy deal last autumn just before the increase in gas and electricity prices (pure luck), and we own an EV, so petrol price rises haven’t affected us either. 

On top of all this we got outbid on a house by £100k last month (we’d already offered over asking price). All I see is boom times, yet the economic data looks horrific. Perhaps it’s just a SE England thing? I can’t make sense of it. 

It’s the same in Manchester.  I also visited the Lakes recently and everything was heaving there too.

HOLA446

I’d love to know what’s on those credit cards. I’ll be the first to admit that when I was in my 20s it was normally holidays, clothes, bits of tech, bits for the house/flat that went on our credit cards. 

Im not minimising poverty in the UK but going by a lot of people I’ve known over the years its self inflicted for many. I’ve know 3 or 4 people that racked up 20k of credit card debt on retail therapy!!!

HOLA447
7 hours ago, Pmax2020 said:

I’d love to know what’s on those credit cards. I’ll be the first to admit that when I was in my 20s it was normally holidays, clothes, bits of tech, bits for the house/flat that went on our credit cards. 

Im not minimising poverty in the UK but going by a lot of people I’ve known over the years its self inflicted for many. I’ve know 3 or 4 people that racked up 20k of credit card debt on retail therapy!!!

......retail therapy, sounds like requires some addiction therapy.;)

HOLA448
On 3/31/2022 at 11:55 AM, byron78 said:

It's definitely supply, yeah. 

Son is into property far more than me so I get a lot from him. Huge influx of foreign money last year from Asia and the Gulf states (apparently). 

With the Chinese it is investment for retirement, interesting about the Gulf states maybe they too are going into investments for the long term

This would mean we are not really going to have a crash, if so much investment is looking for a home 

Edited by shlomo

HOLA449
6 minutes ago, shlomo said:

With the Chinese it is investment for retirement, interesting about the Gulf states maybe they too are going into investments for the long term

What worries me is ordinary folk are now being visibly pitted against global capital.

Yes, we can still blame foreigners to an extent ("Boo Putin... this is zee Germans buying his gas! Etc Etc") but that's really hard to pull off when it becomes clearer what the issue actually is.

And, no offence to any old Etonians here (I have met some lovely ones), but:

img_1_1648885862957.jpg

Edited by byron78

HOLA4410
On 01/04/2022 at 18:59, Mancunian284 said:

It’s the same in Manchester.  I also visited the Lakes recently and everything was heaving there too.

Im from Manchester originally, was there today in fact. It is a hotspot for the 300k HKs.. Spoke to a few ladies in GPs and they've noticed the significant increase in them. 

They tend to like landmark cities and Manchester is fortunate enough to have that status alongside London. They have swathes of money, it's not just students and 'oppressed' people 'escaping' China.

HOLA4411
13 hours ago, shlomo said:

This would mean we are not really going to have a crash, if so much investment is looking for a home 

That`s right, investments in property only ever go one way.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-04-01/china-home-sales-slump-worsens-despite-vows-to-support-market

HOLA4412
11 minutes ago, dances with sheeple said:

Depends on how much money is printed