Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Arup construction 350.

https://www.newcivilengineer.com/latest/keltbray-announces-300-job-cuts-17-06-2020/

Keltbray (big civil engineering eg Shard) 300 redundancies out of 1800. Director says Furlough scheme postponed this inevitable action...

Carey Group.

see links in article.

Edited by Killer Bunny

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
2 hours ago, hurlerontheditch said:

As furlough tapers off, those on the furlough spreadsheet get moved to to the redundancy sheet

its going to get worse as the weeks and months pass

I would have said that's not the case as as I thought govt had made noises about clawing back furlough from employers who went onto make their staff redundant. Looks like I'm wrong though. 

It now turns out that solicitors are interpreting that employers can use the scheme to pay notice periods, but not redundancy amounts, for furloughed staff being made redundant. So if my employer owes me 12 weeks notice, but wants to see the back of me today, the furlough scheme will pay the 12 weeks notice even if I don't work it and am walked off the site that day! 

The government guidance for employees has been updated to clarify that where furloughed employees have been given notice of termination, their employer can continue to claim under the scheme in respect of both statutory and contractual notice periods. Employers can therefore commence redundancy exercises and/or issue notices of termination of employment to employees on furlough and claim accordingly. However, the guidance is clear that employers cannot claim for redundancy payments under the scheme. 

https://www.burges-salmon.com/news-and-insight/legal-updates/covid-19/the-coronavirus-job-retention-scheme-an-essential-guide-for-employers/

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

My Wife was made redundant last month - reasonably big gaming/game design employer but as most workers were already furloughed or working from home, nobody knew who was affected or the total number - as they were forbidden to discuss it with any other workers and not allowed back into the office (computer & phone access also immediately blocked) in exchange for a slightly enhanced pay out over the statutory redundancy payment.

I wonder if this will happen with a lot of companies, so the numbers involved don't make it to the news, it's basically hushed up as the workers are isolated at home.

HOLA4412
2 hours ago, moonriver said:

Pizza Express 1100 jobs at risk...

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/breaking-pizza-express-close-15-22465306

Pizza Express has said it could close around 15% of its UK restaurants, with up to 1,100 jobs at risk, as part of a major restructuring plan to shore up its finances following the coronavirus lockdown

image.jpeg.8e64a8ad69a15a0964ccad1e208a70e0.jpeg

HOLA4413

Makes you wonder how long Curry's/PCWorld stores will last?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53650697

Dixons Carphone said it plans to cut 800 jobs as part of efforts to streamline its in-store management.

The Currys PC World owner it was "not an easy decision" but the move would allow a "flatter management structure" as it adapts to rising online sales.

HOLA4414
58 minutes ago, Andy T said:

My Wife was made redundant last month - reasonably big gaming/game design employer but as most workers were already furloughed or working from home, nobody knew who was affected or the total number - as they were forbidden to discuss it with any other workers and not allowed back into the office (computer & phone access also immediately blocked) in exchange for a slightly enhanced pay out over the statutory redundancy payment.

I wonder if this will happen with a lot of companies, so the numbers involved don't make it to the news, it's basically hushed up as the workers are isolated at home.

So harsh, sorry to hear it.

Good point, sounds like a lot of redundancies can be easily hidden if they use this method.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
3 minutes ago, Social Justice League said:

Most physical shops are going to close as more and more go online only.  We'll see the massive shopping centres built during the 1990's and 2000' shut down too imo. 

...and turned into the next generation of slums as landowners convert without planning permission

HOLA4419
22 hours ago, moonriver said:

So harsh, sorry to hear it.

Good point, sounds like a lot of redundancies can be easily hidden if they use this method.

They shouldn't be if there are a large number. More than 20 people and its a legal obligation to conduct a collective consultation. 

https://renovo.uk.com/the-redundancy-consultation-period-explained/#:~:text=What is collective consultation%3F,must prepare a collective consultation.

My brothers employer was being a bit dubious and making redundancy decisions at a 'region' level to try and keep the numbers under a certain level. I suppose it depends how the business is structured. 

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
1 hour ago, regprentice said:

They shouldn't be if there are a large number. More than 20 people and its a legal obligation to conduct a collective consultation. 

https://renovo.uk.com/the-redundancy-consultation-period-explained/#:~:text=What is collective consultation%3F,must prepare a collective consultation.

My brothers employer was being a bit dubious and making redundancy decisions at a 'region' level to try and keep the numbers under a certain level. I suppose it depends how the business is structured. 

Thank you, that is interesting, I didn't know about the 20 people collective consultation.

HOLA4422
2 minutes ago, moonriver said:

M and Co

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/mco-store-closures-job-losses-a4517056.html

Fashion chain M&Co is to close 47 stores and axe 380 jobs as part of a major restructuring it said will secure the company's long-term future.

It's no big loss losing most of these rubbish companies tbh, but the workers deserve better.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
14 minutes ago, Social Justice League said:

It's no big loss losing most of these rubbish companies tbh, but the workers deserve better.

So while I partly agree with you, but I don't think the politicians or businesses want to bring better or more interesting jobs to the UK. 

I was listening to a senior economist on R4 last night talking about how people need to be 'repurposed' into roles such as social care etc the suggestion asks that with a quick bit of training we could get all those out of work BA pilots, scientists and engineers wiping pensioners arses in old folks homes.