House Price Crash Forum

Redundancy Watch - 25% of companies to make redundancies

HOLA441
11 minutes ago, Neapolitan said:

BoE just said unemployment to reach 2.5 mil. 

We need HTB extended to all properties and include in the deal a brand new Fiesta, so Ford are happy too.

and free flights on Virgin

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442

Wetherspoon now...

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-08-06/wetherspoon-to-cut-a-third-of-head-office-staff-with-up-to-130-jobs-at-risk

Wetherspoon has written to its head office staff to say that nearly a third of them risk losing their jobs amid a round of cuts at the pub chain.

The company said that 110 to 130 of the 417 roles in its head office could be axed as it scales back its expansion.

Chief executive John Hutson said that all head office staff, including those who are regionally based, will be affected.

HOLA443
10 hours ago, Neapolitan said:

BoE just said unemployment to reach 2.5 mil. 

We need HTB extended to all properties and include in the deal a brand new Fiesta, so Ford are happy too.

It’s an outrage that every home in the country isn’t handed a Lamborghini!

HOLA444
HOLA445

I have a friend who works for National Trust (countryside side of things) who is at risk of being made redundant. Apparently anyone who's job role involves education is pretty much for the chop, and a lot of local managers are facing the axe as local departments get merged. Our neighbour is one of those legacy cabin crew at BA, so I've heard all about how unfair that is too ?

great forum BTW. We've just bought (dream starter house for us, terraced stone cottage with amazing views, as affordable as a decent first home gets in the area (village location in Sussex, £310k) in the middle of lockdown. Got a cheeky 10k off, assumed that we'd never get a mortage for another ten years if we didn't take the current offer and said to ourselves '****** it'. Mortgage is fixed for five years, she's furloughed but luckily I'm self employed, plenty of tools and customers and it's a rich area. At least all my other debt is secured against business assets...

Could be the best move of my life (mortage approved then 50k BBL ?). Could also be the worst. All I know is that I don't ever see rents for a scummy house on the estate round here coming down to less than we pay on the mortgage for the next 5 years at least. All I'm wishing now is that I'd fixed for ten years for another .5%.

HOLA446
HOLA447
5 hours ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

Coronavirus: Redundancies rise fivefold as pandemic hits jobs

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53680671

From the article:

"Mr Bird will need to move out of his apartment soon as he can no longer afford the rent without a job."

Where will he go to live? Back with parents or friends perhaps? And will there be a tenant to take his place?

This story will be played out X times [INSERT LARGE NUMBER HERE]. 

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

UK employment falls by biggest amount in over a decade

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53733440

Employment decreased by 220,000 on the quarter, said the Office for National Statistics.

This was the largest quarterly decrease since May to July 2009, the depths of the financial crisis.

The youngest workers, oldest workers and those in manual or elementary occupations were most likely to be affected during the pandemic, it added.

Jonathan Athow, deputy national statistician at the ONS, said: "The groups of people most affected are younger workers, 24 and under, or older workers and those in more routine or less skilled jobs.

"This is concerning, as it's harder for these groups to find a new job or get into a job as easily as other workers."

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
24 minutes ago, squeezed said:

Daily Mail to cut up to 100 jobs as their revenue drops. Strange thing given their online version is plastered with ads to the point that you hardly can see the actual content, despite using adblock.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/aug/13/daily-mail-publisher-dmgt-to-cut-up-to-100-jobs-as-revenues-fall

People have stopped buying things so advertisers have pulled the plug. There's also change coming from browser vendors to combat online tracking in the next year or two which will hit ad revenues again. It's not a good time to be dependent on online ads.

HOLA4416
18 minutes ago, Glental said:

People have stopped buying things so advertisers have pulled the plug. There's also change coming from browser vendors to combat online tracking in the next year or two which will hit ad revenues again. It's not a good time to be dependent on online ads.

Baffles me how online ad performance is measured on 'views' rather than a more tangible 'conversion'.  I don't care if 1 million people watch my ad and 0 people buy, I'd rather have 1000 people that all buy.

Dail Fail has ceased to be a valuable paper, it's main customer base is dying off and no one under 40 reads it. It is desperate to remain a source of right wing vitriol and needs the online business to fund it.  With luck it will go under.

HOLA4417
4 minutes ago, msi said:

Baffles me how online ad performance is measured on 'views' rather than a more tangible 'conversion'.  I don't care if 1 million people watch my ad and 0 people buy, I'd rather have 1000 people that all buy.

Dail Fail has ceased to be a valuable paper, it's main customer base is dying off and no one under 40 reads it. It is desperate to remain a source of right wing vitriol and needs the online business to fund it.  With luck it will go under.

There's plenty of people at my place of work in their 20's who read it, many of them pretty females. And I am talking about the news parts of it, not just the Femail section.

HOLA4418
5 minutes ago, Dreamcasting said:

There's plenty of people at my place of work in their 20's who read it, many of them pretty females. And I am talking about the news parts of it, not just the Femail section.

Not sure why you want to rate the women in conservative central office by looks...

https://www.statista.com/statistics/380710/daily-mail-the-mail-on-sunday-monthly-reach-by-demographic-uk/https://www.inter-media.co.uk/uk-newspapers-reveal-readership-demographics/

Edited by msi
Grammar

HOLA4419
16 minutes ago, msi said:

Just based on real life observations, not questionable statistics or polls

HOLA4420
37 minutes ago, msi said:

I also know many people under 30 who enjoy reading the Mail, but then again, the only form of attack the left know is to try and humiliate.

The Guardian I believe has a declining sale of about 125,000, compared to well over 1m for The Mail. I would politely suggest that for those working on The Guardian, career options should be reconsidered.

HOLA4421
56 minutes ago, msi said:

The problem is that it is popular outside UK as celeb gossip rag - sadly found that out from US journo and meant a lot of US and English speaking countries think Daily Wail is actually British sentiment / news.

He said most Americans believed Trump would get a welcome state visit because the Fail said so.

HOLA4422
6 hours ago, Blink said:

I also know many people under 30 who enjoy reading the Mail, but then again, the only form of attack the left know is to try and humiliate.

The Guardian I believe has a declining sale of about 125,000, compared to well over 1m for The Mail. I would politely suggest that for those working on The Guardian, career options should be reconsidered.

I simply hold those in power to be accountable for their results - if you were an independent observer and not a mouthpiece you'd show me how the Daily Fail rises above attacks and character assassinations. It's only future in online clickbait and the UK equivalent of the National Enquirer.

HOLA4423
1 hour ago, msi said:

I simply hold those in power to be accountable for their results - if you were an independent observer and not a mouthpiece you'd show me how the Daily Fail rises above attacks and character assassinations. It's only future in online clickbait and the UK equivalent of the National Enquirer.

All forms of journalism are ultimately sales products, in similar terms to other products that may sit on supermarket shelves.

Sales products come in varying degrees of quality, and not all are good for you.

I am also under no illusion, all forms of journalistic media wants your custom, you simply get to choose your own poison/bias.

Unlike the BBC, newspapers are under no obligation to be unbiased, although truthful reporting is supposedly regulated.

Coca Cola is a product not known for its health benefits but sells well. Think The Sun or Daily Mirror, The Guardian more Irn Bru.

The point I'm making is that the Daily Mail is not a public service, more people support it's viewpoint in society than you give credit, simply measured by it's sales figures.

HOLA4424
4 hours ago, Blink said:

All forms of journalism are ultimately sales products, in similar terms to other products that may sit on supermarket shelves.

Sales products come in varying degrees of quality, and not all are good for you.

I am also under no illusion, all forms of journalistic media wants your custom, you simply get to choose your own poison/bias.

Unlike the BBC, newspapers are under no obligation to be unbiased, although truthful reporting is supposedly regulated.

Coca Cola is a product not known for its health benefits but sells well. Think The Sun or Daily Mirror, The Guardian more Irn Bru.

The point I'm making is that the Daily Mail is not a public service, more people support it's viewpoint in society than you give credit, simply measured by it's sales figures.

Very well put - The book - The Corporation describes the purpose of a company very well - to make the max money for its shareholders within the legal framework of the country it operates in 

It argues that even charity donations or CSR activities go against most businesses memorandum of articles 

HOLA4425
6 hours ago, msi said:

I think you predict it’s demise a little early - it’s online strategy has been a stunning success - click bait is only the modern equivalent of miracle cure stories on newspapers 100 years ago 

‘Launched in 2003, MailOnline was made into a separately managed site in 2006 under the editorship of Martin Clarke and general management of James Bromley.[2][3] It is now the most visited English-language newspaper website in the world,[4] with over 11.34m visitors daily in August 2014.[5]