House Price Crash Forum

What / Who will collapse first in 2019

reddog

HOLA441

We need to delay Crossrail further I suppose....

Woodford is in the wrong place, wrong time and wrong sectors. I’m sad for those who have their money there. This isn’t just a guy making the wrong bets, part of his offering was in unlisted companies but still under UCITS umbrella. Crazy. SJP and HL marketing this to clients....even worse. 

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Looking at the top 10 holding in the suspended fund. 

3 are housebuilders, 1 is a REIT called Newriver that invests in retail/leisure property. It's one of the most shorted stocks in the UK. It's currently selling supermarkets and buying higher yield retail parks. Solid business model that. 

Edited by Council estate capitalist

HOLA443
On 30/05/2019 at 11:06, Neapolitan said:

Neil Woodford next one?

It looks to me that QE rendering all the usual investment opportunities such poor value led Woodward to take increasingly risky bets to maintain his famous rates of return.

HOLA444
17 minutes ago, Will! said:

It looks to me that QE rendering all the usual investment opportunities such poor value led Woodward to take increasingly risky bets to maintain his famous rates of return.

He also made stupid decisions - someone elsewhere says he destroyed pharmaceutical  research in the UK be investing so much no-one else could be anything except a junior partner with him.

HOLA445
31 minutes ago, Will! said:

It’s not QE, it’s Woodford. Lindsell Train UK Equity fund is a little gem. Royal London, Franklin and M & G, to name some big shop on the street, are all around their benchmarks. 

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

I'm going to add one to the list of ones to watcg.... FundingCircle. 

I noticed a while back they were sending adverts out offering various incentives to anyone who'd invest.... That made me sit up. 

I then started selling up my small investment there... Length of time to sell was 31 days, by the time I'd sold up its 59 days, could just be a busy time of years of course. 

30% of my investment changed status while i was selling up.... So couldn't be sold. 

I'm happy enough that i got most of my cash out but it seems a bit... Risky to me from what I am seeing. 

Anyone else dealing with FC? 

On the upside the government part funded them so I'd think they'll be on the hook if the fail. 

HOLA449
7 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

I'm going to add one to the list of ones to watcg.... FundingCircle. 

I noticed a while back they were sending adverts out offering various incentives to anyone who'd invest.... That made me sit up. 

I then started selling up my small investment there... Length of time to sell was 31 days, by the time I'd sold up its 59 days, could just be a busy time of years of course. 

30% of my investment changed status while i was selling up.... So couldn't be sold. 

I'm happy enough that i got most of my cash out but it seems a bit... Risky to me from what I am seeing. 

Anyone else dealing with FC? 

On the upside the government part funded them so I'd think they'll be on the hook if the fail. 

Which reminds me I need to pull my money from Zopa and put it elsewhere - just looked at my account and I've not earnt a penny since February.

Edited by Houdini

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I'm still in zopa. Not seeing any shenanigans with them. Are you?  They survived the 2007 collapse so less worried about their lending model.  FC is business centric. I'm going to leave some cash in FC just to see what happens if it fails, the debts will still be there and will be pursued. I'm a part time evil banker it seems. 

I'm now pulling £1k out of zopa to see what happens.... I'll keep you posted 

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
1 minute ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

I'm still in zopa. Not seeing any shenanigans with them. Are you?  They survived the 2007 collapse so less worried about their lending model.  FC is business centric. I'm going to leave some cash in FC just to see what happens if it fails, the debts will still be there and will be pursued. I'm a part time evil banker it seems. 

I might pull out a few hundred quid out of zopa to see what happens tho. 

It's more the fact my returns have dropped to zero recently due to defaults so I'm wondering if it's time to get out before things turn really bad. looking at https://investors-performance.zopa.com/ I'm seeing things flatline...

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
9 minutes ago, longgone said:

sure it was around 7-8% then  

i would not risk large sums for only 4%

Here are the figures... 

Core: at 6.2% projected returns 4.4%

Plus: at 7.5% projected returns 5%

Classic: 4%

Plus I get a 1% bonus for being one of their first lenders. 

Returns of around 33% on 20k over 6 years when I really started  using it....if I get my money out. 

I see this as the risk part of my holdings. 

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

By way of a metric as to what is happening on FundingCircle... 

Number of loan issues. Per year. 

1st half of 2018...0

2nd half of 2018....9

1st half of 2019....wait for it.... Wait for it...25.

This is not advice, but I'd personally be nervous leaving my cash in there. Well, I was nervous and the bulk of it is out, not sure I'll see the rest. 

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

I've seen many crap businesses go to the wall and looking at the statement of affairs (document filed to companies house listing creditors) Funding circle is often the biggest creditor. 

In a small town local to me Funding circle lost £10.5k on a loan to a company that had "vibrating massage chairs" that purported to ease the symptoms of depression/arthritis etc etc. 

Edited by Council estate capitalist

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
42 minutes ago, Council estate capitalist said:

I've seen many crap businesses go to the wall and looking at the statement of affairs (document filed to companies house listing creditors) Funding circle is often the biggest creditor. 

In a small town local to me Funding circle lost £10.5k on a loan to a company that had "vibrating massage chairs" that purported to ease the symptoms of depression/arthritis etc etc. 

Did they ever ask for collateral for the loan 

HOLA4425