House Price Crash Forum

Male life expectancy in Stockton is 64

HOLA441

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-44985650 "The life expectancy gap between rich and poor people in England has been widening for nearly two decades."

The rise in pension age is to do with increasing life expectancy apparently. Sounds like BS.

Panorama: Get Rich or Die Young is on BBC One at 20:30 BST on Monday 30 July and available afterwards on iPlayer.

Might be an interesting watch.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
23 minutes ago, longgone said:

Interesting. 

Poor yet still managed to father 8 kids. When he dies by his own doing the tax payer will be picking up the bill if they are not already.

I am with you Dude

HOLA444
HOLA445
2 hours ago, Arpeggio said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-44985650 "The life expectancy gap between rich and poor people in England has been widening for nearly two decades."

The rise in pension age is to do with increasing life expectancy apparently. Sounds like BS.

Panorama: Get Rich or Die Young is on BBC One at 20:30 BST on Monday 30 July and available afterwards on iPlayer.

Might be an interesting watch.

Poor people smoke more fags and eat more Parmos than rich people.

A lot more as the nominally rich person has to go to work to pay for the nominally poor persons tabs and parmo, eaten while the rich person is slogging.

HOLA446
HOLA447
1 hour ago, spyguy said:

Poor people smoke more fags and eat more Parmos than rich people.

Had to Google what a Parmos was, why aren't we celebrating this regional delicacy??!!

It's actually funny that a lot of people can't afford to have more than 1 kid, he has 8 kids and is portrayed as the victim. 

We are at a unique time in history, if he was born 50 years earlier or 50 years later his life would be a lot worse.

HOLA448
29 minutes ago, reddog said:

Had to Google what a Parmos was, why aren't we celebrating this regional delicacy??!!

It's actually funny that a lot of people can't afford to have more than 1 kid, he has 8 kids and is portrayed as the victim. 

We are at a unique time in history, if he was born 50 years earlier or 50 years later his life would be a lot worse.

My dream is to have three daughters, unlikely to happen on top 5% wages, yet it is with no wages at all, what a country

HOLA449
26 minutes ago, reddog said:

Me too!

27 minutes ago, reddog said:

I don't think this is quite right. His life would probably have been harder, but better.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
7 hours ago, Kosmin said:

Me too!

I don't think this is quite right. His life would probably have been harder, but better.

I agree to a point, life in the UK is far more complicated than to just put a label on someone such as welfare scrounger. It's all very well people looking at this guy and suggesting why did he not do this or that, we slip into these ruts over a long time and "JUST" waking up one morning and saying "I will change today" is not that easy. That's why I sometimes think these people should be forced to do maybe 5 or 6 hours a day of work for their welfare, in so many ways it could save their life.

Most people on this website must know the score, you can be educated  with years of work experience and a better than average wage, how are you coping in todays UK?.. The very best this man could do today is  probably get some s**t low paid job, if some of us are living difficult lives on £40,000 plus, what chance has this guy to turn his life around

HOLA4413
8 hours ago, reddog said:

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/teesside-many-takeaways-numbers-soared-11316862

'Between 2010 and 2015 there was a staggering 63% leap in takeaways and/or mobile food stands in Redcar and Cleveland while Middlesbrough has the highest rate of takeaways per person in Teesside.'

This is not an area where people are struggling to buy food -  these takeaways are ~10/pop.

This is an area where people are buying the wrong food and not moving around.

HOLA4414
8 hours ago, Kosmin said:

Me too!

Harder?

Hed have got more exercise and would not have been given money to spent on sh1t and have the opportunity to sit around, smoking, eating and getting diabetes.

HOLA4415

As always the BBC chose the most extreme example but there is definitely a change in life expectancy trends in the UK 

It is odd that despite the two World Wars, the 1918 flu pandemic, the  Great Depression, widespread absolute poverty and the prevalence of  slum housing average life expectancy in the UK rose steadily throughout the 20th century both before and after the introduction of the welfare state and under governments of all political colours be they Lloyd George's Liberals, Baldwin's Conservatives or Attlee's Labour. Now it has ground to a halt in the 21st century when there are no major wars or serious outbreaks of infectious disease. As a consequence there is distinct possibility that on average people born today may not live as long as their parents something that was not the case when the Battle of the Somme or the Battle of Britain were being fought.  

I don't find any of the pat explanations convincing but clearly something has gone seriously wrong in the UK because few other European countries are showing this trend.      

Edited by stormymonday_2011

HOLA4416

It's not a outright decline (yet) but more a plateau or trend of diminishing returns, when millions of people survive the gaunlet of childhood, get past 55-ish and then start hitting the barriers of cancers and alzheimers (genetically hard coded biological failure processes still a bit beyond medical science, with heart problems still a major hazard, if increasingly more managable).

Also the general self-indulgence of UK and US Babyboomers may exacerbate matters (and perhaps why mainland European life expectancy is not hitting the plateau as sooner). 

Iceland has large pockets of people dying relatively young too (that is likely to do with people living around geological vents and fissures).

Edited by Big Orange

HOLA4417
3 hours ago, spyguy said:

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/teesside-many-takeaways-numbers-soared-11316862

'Between 2010 and 2015 there was a staggering 63% leap in takeaways and/or mobile food stands in Redcar and Cleveland while Middlesbrough has the highest rate of takeaways per person in Teesside.'

This is not an area where people are struggling to buy food -  these takeaways are ~10/pop.

This is an area where people are buying the wrong food and not moving around.

one mans takeaway is another mans launderette. ?

HOLA4418

i think the main factor is movement. 

the more you move the longer you live. sitting about not working or walking or doing the garden is probably the biggest factor of all. a lot of these poor areas the main housing is flats close together, people sit in the house watching tv, outside is not a very nice enviroment. go to a wealthy area, all around you people are out walking and cycling and in the garden. 

HOLA4419
1 hour ago, stormymonday_2011 said:

As always the BBC chose the most extreme example but there is definitely a change in life expectancy trends in the UK
I don't find any of the pat explanations convincing but clearly something has gone seriously wrong in the UK because few other European countries are showing this trend.      

Since 2015 there has been a distinct change of trend from improving life expectancy to life expectancy somewhat stalling.  It's extremely hard to say why: in 2015 itself it was basically down to that year's flu vaccine being particularly ineffective against that year's flu (it mutates every year and sometimes the vaccine just doesn't keep up).  In 2016-18 it's less clear - however the reduced level of spending on social care is increasingly seen as a driver of this.

However this is a really complex area:

Firstly, life expectancy figures only care about whether you're dead or alive, and say nothing about health or quality of life.  Sometimes all that social care can do is give you a few more months of extreme high dependency on others.  Is it better to live to 80.0 or 80.3 if that last 0.3 years is just lying in a bed being waiting for someone to feed/change you like a baby?

Secondly, if the life expectancies experienced in 2005-2014 were (like most things from the period) just fuelled by debt-based spending - are they actually sustainable at all?

Thirdly, given that we will always have limited resources should we be piling them all into end of life care to eke out a few more months, or is there a better use for that money?  Surely only HEALTHY extra years are worthwhile, and actually it may be that targeting spending earlier in life might be better here.  For example, £1 million spent on a sports centre might be better than £1 million on end of life care in terms of increasing HEALTHY years.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
1 hour ago, Big Orange said:

It's not a outright decline (yet) but more a plateau or trend of diminishing returns, when millions of people survive the gaunlet of childhood, get past 55-ish and then start hitting the barriers of cancers and alzheimers (genetically hard coded biological failure processes still a bit beyond medical science, with heart problems still a major hazard, if increasingly more managable).

Also the general self-indulgence of UK and US Babyboomers may exacerbate matters (and perhaps why mainland European life expectancy is not hitting the plateau as sooner).

Think that pretty much sums it up. Go back and life expectancy increased as medicine became able to deal with those things that killed people off before old age kicked in. We've past the point where most of those can be dealt with, and not reached the point where it can do all that much about most aspects of the body starting to fall apart. Meanwhile what else has advanced? Easy and plentiful access to "unhealthy" foods and a lot of effort gone in to making life require as little effort as possible. Both of those have immediate appeal to most of us but are counterproductive.

I put unhealthy in quotes because it's not so much unhealthy but out of proportion; we're driven to crave things like fat because they're useful and necessary for us and scarce in the environment we evolved in, so having a built-in drive to be willing to go further to get them was useful. Now that balance is broken.

HOLA4422

Pollution? I know near Heathrow airport a guy was telling me about all his friends dying of lung cancer.. I’ve read airport pollution also increases risk of brain cancer, a study in a town in America found a rare form of brain cancer that only happened in a town next to the airport.. showing a correlation between plane fumes and brain cancer.. 

HOLA4423

We really cant use the phrase 'On the breadline' anymore in regards to folk 'struggling' on benefits. Most look like they have eaten a 3 mile long line of the stuff.

HOLA4424
26 minutes ago, jimmy2x3 said:

i think the main factor is movement. 

the more you move the longer you live. sitting about not working or walking or doing the garden is probably the biggest factor of all. a lot of these poor areas the main housing is flats close together, people sit in the house watching tv, outside is not a very nice enviroment. go to a wealthy area, all around you people are out walking and cycling and in the garden. 

I always keep an eye on wealthy people you read about in the media and how they choose to live active working lives rather than just fester on some Spanish golf course etc. Take Chris Evans from BBC Radio 2, he made a bundle after selling Virgin Radio and initially lost the plot. He is now back to those early morning starts and hectic work load, I think we saw the link between being idle and illness and death.

HOLA4425

You are what you eat and drink and how often you move......parents who do not know the skills can't teach their kids the skills.....learn from example.

There are vested interests in keeping people as they are because people with needs are very profitable and create work and jobs.;)

Edited by winkie