• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
21 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Who's buying? 

That's the interesting bit. 

Its dead cat bounced to 3.8.  I wonder what the buyers think they are getting?
Or are they just gambling on there being a 4p greater fool..?

The sellers must be thinking along the lines of "there's a grand or so I thought I'd never see again"

HOLA443
On 06/06/2019 at 14:05, hotblack42 said:

Its dead cat bounced to 3.8.  I wonder what the buyers think they are getting?
Or are they just gambling on there being a 4p greater fool..?

The sellers must be thinking along the lines of "there's a grand or so I thought I'd never see again"

Ludicrous headlines follow that tiny rise: https://www.propertyindustryeye.com/countrywide-shares-shoot-up-while-stakes-are-raised-and-lowered-at-purplebricks/

• 1 month later...
HOLA444

Countrywide is now ‘beyond salvation’ says founder Harry Hill

https://www.propertyindustryeye.com/countrywide-is-now-beyond-salvation-says-founder-harry-hill/

Countrywide is “beyond salvation”, according to its founder Harry Hill.

Hill tweeted after a piece in yesterday’s Sunday Times which was run under the headline ‘Why the Long face at Countrywide’, and was critical of executive chairman Peter Long.

Hill tweeted: “The fact that P Long (Sun Times today) is still in place at Cwd plc simply proves how inept his board (and major investors) are. Sadly the business is beyond salvation.”

Writing in the Sunday Times, Liam Kelly said that Hill faced an uphill struggle “to save our biggest estate agency chain”.

He claimed that former chief executive Alison Platt had “good reason to feel sore about her treatment by Long”, who had thrown her “under the bus in public”, according to an un-named former insider.

The  inside source said it had been easy to blame Platt for Countrywide’s ills, but Long had been chairman, overseeing her decisions.

The article also quoted Numis analyst Chris Millington who said: “Regardless of who is at the helm, it feels like the rot has set in.”

Countrywide floated in March 2013, with a share price of 350p and a valuation of £750m. Today’s share price is around 5.3p, with a market valuation of under £90m.

The article also says that Long personally bought £300,000 worth of shares in Countrywide last summer, proving his own confidence in the business. Today, his investment is worth around £120,000.

The article does not quote Long himself, but does say that some “cautious optimism” is provided by Boris Johnson’s apparent plans to reform Stamp Duty.

Countrywide is due to deliver its half-year results on Wednesday.

HOLA445
4 minutes ago, rantnrave said:

Countrywide is now ‘beyond salvation’ says founder Harry Hill

https://www.propertyindustryeye.com/countrywide-is-now-beyond-salvation-says-founder-harry-hill/

Countrywide is “beyond salvation”, according to its founder Harry Hill.

Hill tweeted after a piece in yesterday’s Sunday Times which was run under the headline ‘Why the Long face at Countrywide’, and was critical of executive chairman Peter Long.

Hill tweeted: “The fact that P Long (Sun Times today) is still in place at Cwd plc simply proves how inept his board (and major investors) are. Sadly the business is beyond salvation.”

Writing in the Sunday Times, Liam Kelly said that Hill faced an uphill struggle “to save our biggest estate agency chain”.

He claimed that former chief executive Alison Platt had “good reason to feel sore about her treatment by Long”, who had thrown her “under the bus in public”, according to an un-named former insider.

The  inside source said it had been easy to blame Platt for Countrywide’s ills, but Long had been chairman, overseeing her decisions.

The article also quoted Numis analyst Chris Millington who said: “Regardless of who is at the helm, it feels like the rot has set in.”

Countrywide floated in March 2013, with a share price of 350p and a valuation of £750m. Today’s share price is around 5.3p, with a market valuation of under £90m.

The article also says that Long personally bought £300,000 worth of shares in Countrywide last summer, proving his own confidence in the business. Today, his investment is worth around £120,000.

The article does not quote Long himself, but does say that some “cautious optimism” is provided by Boris Johnson’s apparent plans to reform Stamp Duty.

Countrywide is due to deliver its half-year results on Wednesday.

Its a company, not a sinner.

• 1 month later...
HOLA446
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA447
On 23/09/2019 at 21:22, Burbujista said:

I have got a good feeling that we will see new all time lows soon...

4D7FCE41-C3FA-4939-8DA0-EA8B03866B75.thumb.jpeg.86429920ff81f8d945d3f5f7dcc8b10a.jpeg

Indeed ... but a 3% rise from those doldrums is news worthy of highlighting in a report by our favourite spin-masters,

https://www.estateagenttoday.co.uk/breaking-news/2019/10/countrywide-share-price-steady-following-appointment-of-new-coo

And a careful use of percentages in one phrase and nominals in another ...

The agency's share price ticked up slightly yesterday, closing at 3.91p, a rise of just under 3%. However, it still remains woefully low compared to a peak of 599p in May 2015.

A "rise of just under 3%" is put in the same sentence as "compared to a peak of 599p" which represents a fall of 99.34%.

Thought their spin-checker failed to replace the "typo" 'woefully'. Would grammarly have done a better job?

Edited by Aidan Ap Word
Spelling

HOLA448

well this is interesting. liking a small punt on lost causes i thought i would take a wee look . 

so checking out the wiki i noticed that very oddly they have not updated the financial info since 2015, its not like they aint been on to do it because they updated a few things in 2018. they however left the company showing a large net worth and profit. very odd.

Traded as LSECWD
Industry Estate agents
Founded 1986
Headquarters Chelmsford, Essex
Key people
Peter Long (executive chairman), Himanshu Raja (CFO), Paul Creffield (Group Managing Director).
Revenue £ 718.7 million (2015)[1]
£ 91.9 million (2015)[1]
£ 41.8 million (2015)[1]
Number of employees
10,000 (2018)[2]
Website Countrywide.co.uk

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
5 hours ago, spyguy said:

Fools investment.

Spreads on buy n sell will wipe out that '30% ' increase....

spread was about 5% allready up 6%. its just a small punt, but i just think with the debt paid down, a new ceo, and big institutions willing to gamble 140 mill

there is a recovery play here. i might be wrog and ive been wrong before many times but when it works it works really really well. remember bp? remember apple? whats the old saying buy when everyone is selling and sell when everyone is buying. 

thinking sirius minerals is worth a punt on monday 

Edited by jimmy2x3

HOLA4413
11 hours ago, jimmy2x3 said:

spread was about 5% allready up 6%. its just a small punt, but i just think with the debt paid down, a new ceo, and big institutions willing to gamble 140 mill

there is a recovery play here. i might be wrog and ive been wrong before many times but when it works it works really really well. remember bp? remember apple? whats the old saying buy when everyone is selling and sell when everyone is buying. 

thinking sirius minerals is worth a punt on monday 

Sirius has annoyed the f out of me.

The mine is about ~3 miles up the road.

'WHat do you reckon spy?' people in the pub ask.

'It somewhere between a high risk gamble and an out an out con'

<a few weeks alter>

'Weve drawn out our life savings of 30k+ and bought shares. xxxx(diot from pub) says its going to go up 100x. Well be millionaires'

<few years later>

'Weve lost everything ...

HOLA4414
9 hours ago, spyguy said:

Sirius has annoyed the f out of me.

The mine is about ~3 miles up the road.

'WHat do you reckon spy?' people in the pub ask.

'It somewhere between a high risk gamble and an out an out con'

<a few weeks alter>

'Weve drawn out our life savings of 30k+ and bought shares. xxxx(diot from pub) says its going to go up 100x. Well be millionaires'

<few years later>

'Weve lost everything ...

yes lots of people did a very stupid thing, they put to much of their eggs in one basket, same happened up here with scotgold. a lot of employees do the same then they get burnt. its mostly greed that makes them, and also the idea there neighbours might get rich while they lose out. i prefer to gamble on crash shares that have hit a low, i wait till something then changes, ie in countrywides case if they drop anymore they dont exist anymore. its hit the bottom. but its got rid of a lot of its debt, companies going bust dont usually do that. also it was a profitable company till 2 years ago, infact its pe was nearly 1 at these prices. so i suspect countrywide will now either be bought out or all unprofitable parts that caused the massive change in fortunes will be dumped out. who knows you pay yer money you take your pick. im betting some divi money only. 

also will add, you find with shares like sirius the same folk that all dived in then panic and all jump out. crashing the price further than is necessary. that mine will still be build they even signed another deal this week for the product. a lot of money has allready been spent. id reckon in a couple of weeks a big investor is going to take a slice. 

Edited by jimmy2x3

HOLA4415
  • 2 months later...
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
  • 11 months later...
HOLA4419

And it's gone

https://www.ft.com/content/3ca0b921-c334-4e24-900c-97e06f67f985

Connells has agreed to pay 395 pence per share, valuing Countrywide at £134m. The majority of Countrywide shareholders have indicated their support for a sale at that price, clearing the way for the acquisition to complete in the first quarter of 2021. 

Let the mass sackings and office closures begin!

HOLA4420

And it's gone

https://www.ft.com/content/3ca0b921-c334-4e24-900c-97e06f67f985

Connells has agreed to pay 395 pence per share, valuing Countrywide at £134m. The majority of Countrywide shareholders have indicated their support for a sale at that price, clearing the way for the acquisition to complete in the first quarter of 2021. 

Let the mass sackings and office closures begin!

Bye bye, and sharpen those chopping axes 😄

Countrywide.PNG

• 1 year later...
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
13 minutes ago, Timbuk3 said:

my mistake - different company me thinks

Good news is good news! Added to all of the other good news right now just improves a cold dark January.

Returning to the takeover news:

https://www.estateagenttoday.co.uk/breaking-news/2021/2/countrywide-acquisition-by-connells-to-be-rubber-stamped-today

In the comments:

£7226 spent on shares as an employee. I had hoped the share price would improve and one day and at least realise some of the cash spent. Today’s value £101.76! Thanks Alison Platt not only did you screw up business when you were there but 5 years on your still screwing us!

:lol:

HOLA4424
HOLA4425