House Price Crash Forum

Someone from London...

juvenal

HOLA441

Around me, and all over the South East, the same houses for sale sit on Rightmove, month after month, year after year...

Absurdly, ridiculously over priced..

The Agent's board on the front lawn leans at an angle...the sign fading and peeling...

The owners stand in the front room, necks craning to the window for any car slowing as it passes. 

They glance at the phone, again and then again..

"Someone who's sold up there, and made a pile. That's all we need..", he says.

She looks up at him..

"London..", she whispers..

"We're not giving it away..", he says

A lorry rumbles by..

"Someone from London will come..", he says..

"The agent said so..", says his wife..

"Someone from London..."

Edited by juvenal

HOLA442

A family home I was renting just outside London, was put on the market.  Granted it needed a lot of work to bring it upto standard, but no doubt they too were waiting for "someone from london".  It's about 7mins walk from the station, less than 30mins to Kings X.  6 months later (4.5m empty) back as a rental.

Something's definitely changed.  Late 2015 a very similar home went for over asking price to "someone from london".  That similar home was on the same road.

Edited by blackhole

HOLA443
26 minutes ago, juvenal said:

Around me, and all over the South East, the same houses for sale sit on Rightmove, month after month, year after year...

The Agent's board on the front lawn leans at an angle...the sign fading and peeling...

The owners stand in the front room, necks craning to the window for any car slowing as it passes. 

She looks up at him..

A lorry rumbles by..

"Someone from London..."

I love this! 

Beautifully written.

Is it a parody of something specific from literature (that has gone over my head) or just from your own imagination?

HOLA444
36 minutes ago, juvenal said:

She looks up at him..

A lorry rumbles by..

"Someone from London..."

Brilliant but you could be talking about South Herts which is for all intents and purposes London. 30 mins to Moorgate on slow train.

HOLA445
23 minutes ago, blackhole said:

Something's definitely changed.  Late 2015 a very similar home went for over asking price to "someone from london".  That similar home was on the same road.

It's the inwards ripple. Why move somewhere which adds 250hrs a year to your commute if you can now afford somewhere in Zone 5.

Why move out to Zone 5 if you can now afford a house in Zone 3.

Etc etc. As the inner London boroughs get cheaper people aren't pushed outwards like they used to be, which in turn deflates outer London boroughs, which in turn deflates the commuter belt.

HOLA446
1 hour ago, stop_the_craziness said:

I love this! 

Beautifully written.

Is it a parody of something specific from literature (that has gone over my head) or just from your own imagination?

All my own work, triggered by a house I know in Poole which is on the market for about 50% more than it should be.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
6 minutes ago, stuckin2up2down said:

It's not just the south east this is happening in.

People seem to think their house is worth the highest price ever paid for a similar house or even more, to sell it for anything less than the best price it could have achieved at the right time is exactly the same as burning money :rolleyes:

programming.

we've been brainwashed into thinking the price is the price. it starts early and it is reinforced at every turn

the #vileBBC's prescribed "pleb negotiation" programming extends to asking for a fiver off a twenty five quid piece of tat, then a firm handshake, pulse racing

HOLA4411
53 minutes ago, stuckin2up2down said:

It's not just the south east this is happening in.

People seem to think their house is worth the highest price ever paid for a similar house or even more, to sell it for anything less than the best price it could have achieved at the right time is exactly the same as burning money :rolleyes:

Yes the entitlement "programming" as @thewig mentioned is off the charts.  I'm always a bit amazed that the masses are OK with literal unearned gains and often don't question how its possible.  Till it bites them in the backside, that is.

HOLA4412
2 hours ago, anonlymouse said:

It's the inwards ripple. Why move somewhere which adds 250hrs a year to your commute if you can now afford somewhere in Zone 5.

Why move out to Zone 5 if you can now afford a house in Zone 3.

Etc etc. As the inner London boroughs get cheaper people aren't pushed outwards like they used to be, which in turn deflates outer London boroughs, which in turn deflates the commuter belt.

Agreed.  Bring it on.

HOLA4413
1 hour ago, thewig said:

programming.

we've been brainwashed into thinking the price is the price. it starts early and it is reinforced at every turn

the #vileBBC's prescribed "pleb negotiation" programming extends to asking for a fiver off a twenty five quid piece of tat, then a firm handshake, pulse racing

Let's hope it happens on the way down, "that's just the market price", "homes are for living in", "HPI destroys the country" might be common sayings in a few years.

HOLA4414
3 hours ago, juvenal said:

All my own work, triggered by a house I know in Poole which is on the market for about 50% more than it should be.

....the reality is everything is for sale at a price......just some have a board outside advertising an unrealistic price....so realistically it is not for sale.;)

HOLA4415
5 hours ago, juvenal said:

She looks up at him..

A lorry rumbles by..

"Someone from London..."

Wow what a post!

I am in South Wales and thought it was just round here this was going on.

So many had been moving here from London/SE area, for cheaper property, especially on the coast. 

eg, up untill recently, little coastal bungalows with hardly any garden have been bought by local builders for around £150k, a quick mangolia paint over and extension (taking up most of the already small garden), and resold for £500k, usually to buyers from the SE!

A few years ago we viewed some new build sea front flats (being nosy), they were around £250k then, the estate agent told me all of the buyers so far were from London. 

Around 16 months ago, our neighbours bought their large 4 bed house for just the 2 of them and they were from London. Cheap for them but at £275k, priced off the scale for local families!

It is at last starting to slow down now though, those renovated homes are no longer being snatched up.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

We'll need a camera, a house with a tiny front garden we're supposed to be proud of and an interracial couple with matching child dressed in clothes from John Lewis.

And somebody with one of the fashionable regional accents to do the voice. Nowhere South of the Pennines basically. 

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
15 hours ago, Calcutta said:

We'll need a camera, a house with a tiny front garden we're supposed to be proud of and an interracial couple with matching child dressed in clothes from John Lewis.

And somebody with one of the fashionable regional accents to do the voice. Nowhere South of the Pennines basically. 

I'm thinking that the dialogue should be over the loud ticking of an attractive wall-clock, it would give the subliminal message of time running out.