House Price Crash Forum

Housebuilder paying people to buy homes

HOLA441
HOLA442

After seeing a massive and very derogatory article in the Times (yesterday?) about Bovis  houses* I can't say I'm surprised. 

*didnt read it all, but supposedly ready houses nowhere near finished , etc. 

Newbuilds so often give problems. It was maybe 20 years ago now, but a daughter once had a Saturday morning job at an upmarket London EA where she regularly had tenants of expensive newbuild flats screaming down the phone about sh*t coming out of the shower. Should make clear that these were not Bovis, though. 

Still, they paid her £10 an hour - way over the average then - and it put her off newbuilds for life. 

HOLA443
HOLA444
24 minutes ago, Mrs Bear said:

After seeing a massive and very derogatory article in the Times (yesterday?) about Bovis  houses* I can't say I'm surprised. 

*didnt read it all, but supposedly ready houses nowhere near finished , etc. 

Newbuilds so often give problems. It was maybe 20 years ago now, but a daughter once had a Saturday morning job at an upmarket London EA where she regularly had tenants of expensive newbuild flats screaming down the phone about sh*t coming out of the shower. Should make clear that these were not Bovis, though. 

Still, they paid her £10 an hour - way over the average then - and it put her off newbuilds for life. 

I know quite a few construction workers who work on newbuilds, none would buy one and many refer to them as crap. It astonishes me that it isn't common knowledge by now and that people still queue up to buy them.

Edited by LiveinHope

HOLA445
13 minutes ago, LiveinHope said:

I know quite a few construction workers who work on newbuilds, none would buy one and many refer to them as crap. It astonishes me that it isn't common knowledge by now and that people still queue up to buy them.

We had some carpets fitted and the company had just completed loads of work on a massive new estate in Cambridge (houses starting at £600k). They said the finish was terrible, took them far longer than they expected as the floors and skirting were so poorly constructed. They even refused to lay flooring at some houses as the floors weren't dry and they suspected leaks. Every tradesman we had commented how well built our ex-council house was compared to the new builds.

HOLA446
12 minutes ago, Timak said:

We had some carpets fitted and the company had just completed loads of work on a massive new estate in Cambridge (houses starting at £600k). They said the finish was terrible, took them far longer than they expected as the floors and skirting were so poorly constructed. They even refused to lay flooring at some houses as the floors weren't dry and they suspected leaks. Every tradesman we had commented how well built our ex-council house was compared to the new builds.

Yep, good build quality on council houses. Certainly good timbers in the roof compared to the matchsticks they use today.

They built a new estate near me a couple of years ago and for shits and giggles the GF and I viewed the show home one  rainy Sunday.

There was a full-size door in the kitchen that looked as if it should lead somewhere. Disorientated, I didn't realise it was the under stairs cupboard, I tried to open it.

But it wouldn't open. And as I was determined to see what room it was I had to put my foot against the wall - GF was saying 'be careful!'. I was saying 'it's a fekking door, it should open!'

Once open, it then wouldn't shut as the top of the frame had dropped so much. £600k house

Edited by LiveinHope

HOLA447
HOLA448
6 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

I want 50%

The price would have to ridiculously cheap comparatively, to encourage me, at least 80% off what is marketed near me for £600k. 

Without that, I would only ever rent one. I would never ever want to own one.

Edited by LiveinHope

HOLA449

Look for the hammered in screws on the door hinges...that will give you an idea of the care taken during construction...The build quality is the last of your worries with new builds however...there is a list of issues to check off...including but not limited to...ground lease length, ground rent level and uplift mechanism, lack of parking, high service charges, shoe box size rooms, small rear garden, no front garden etc.  But then TPTB don't care, they won't have to live in these units nor will their family...they will rent them out to the plebs and they will have to accept the designed in misery and conflict in many new developments.

HOLA4410
4 hours ago, LiveinHope said:

It's important to differentiate between large housebuilders and small/local ones, though. I lived in a new build, there were 3 other houses on the 'estate' only, and the housebuilder has only built 2 homes a year on average since. It was a really nice, solid house and most tradesmen were surprised and complemented the build (I recall someone knocking on teh door to compliment the pointing of the bricks - still not sure if they were just casing the joint or genuine!). 

By contrast I did look round a few Persimmon / Barratt show homes before buying that one, and they were absolutely dire. Hinges bent, sockets not on the walls correctly, holes in cupboards, etc. I didn't know much about what to check back in those days, so I'm amazed nobody else notices.

HOLA4411
2 hours ago, Wayward said:

Look for the hammered in screws on the door hinges...that will give you an idea of the care taken during construction...The build quality is the last of your worries with new builds however...there is a list of issues to check off...including but not limited to...ground lease length, ground rent level and uplift mechanism, lack of parking, high service charges, shoe box size rooms, small rear garden, no front garden etc.  But then TPTB don't care, they won't have to live in these units nor will their family...they will rent them out to the plebs and they will have to accept the designed in misery and conflict in many new developments.

New estate near me built over a place springs used to appear when we were kids.Gardens are 12 x 12 foot and angle in.They are already moving.Many are up for sale a year after buying but dont sell.No chance of getting what they paid,or anywhere near.Did these people not have parents saying dont touch those?.You can get really good ex council houses 100 yards from them for less than half the price (£65K).I say let them lose their deposit and be trapped.Its idiots like them that are half the problem.

HOLA4412

People buy new builds because houses are too expensive. They stretch themselves to buy, so think because it's new they won't have extra costs to pay for a few years. Plus some probably think Help to Bail Banks Buy is more than just glorified shared equity. That the governbankment is going to bail them out, when in reality it's just the banks who get taxpayer's cash, if they are repossessed.

HOLA4413
25 minutes ago, durhamborn said:

New estate near me built over a place springs used to appear when we were kids.Gardens are 12 x 12 foot and angle in.They are already moving.Many are up for sale a year after buying but dont sell.No chance of getting what they paid,or anywhere near.Did these people not have parents saying dont touch those?.You can get really good ex council houses 100 yards from them for less than half the price (£65K).I say let them lose their deposit and be trapped.Its idiots like them that are half the problem.

Springs you say... I'll see your springs and raise you an Ammo Dump

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2016/03/19/builders-put-burntwood-homes-on-hold-after-second-bomb-found/

HOLA4414
5 hours ago, Timak said:

Every tradesman we had commented how well built our ex-council house was compared to the new builds.

The 1950s ex council house i grew up in & where my dad still lives is rock solid. The 2006 built coach house flat i'm renting feels like shite in comparison. 

What does that say about the standard of British construction 50 years on?

HOLA4415

I work in residential construction in London (ironic since I complain about the London housing situation 24/7 but hey got to pay the bills).

In terms of building fabric and the finishes, I would agree with what has been said here, plus buildings aren't built to last anymore...its not in the industry's interest! (built to a 25-30 design life)

I will say, however that in terms of energy efficiency, heating, hot water systems and potentially windows, new-builds are better. I still wouldn't buy one though!

The speed at which everything must happen now also leads to lots of corners being cut and quality being sacrificed. Subcontractors also 9/10 sub-let their work.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

The vast majority of new builds are IMO built to a price with the sole aim of maximizing profits and as a result the quality just isn't there anymore - is it any wonder that the government's help to borrow more money than you can really afford scheme targeted new builds?? The difference in prices between new build & existing properties is hair raising, new builds round where I am are being advertised at £197,000 - yet a Victorian terrace of similar size round the corner (in good order btw - not a do-er upper) is listed for £80,000....hmmm, let me think about that.....

Most of the builders who have worked on the new builds don't rate them at all, which says a lot.... 

HOLA4418

^^ Very good correction, Count! :D

Re: the phrase 'you get what you pay for', when a business is selling their product for well over the odds, that business should get it right every time for all of their customers. Why are House Builders like Bovis getting it so wrong?

Local news item: Bovis Homes apologises to customers at developments

HOLA4419

Housebuilders are principally money making companies, house building is the means to an end, once it is sold it is your problem and most owners of the homes won't bleat too much as they also have skin in the game.

I well remember an ex-manager of mine at a well known process engineering company once firmly stating that 'we are not here to build a plant that works, we are here to build a plant'. Needless to say this does not sit very well with me.

I imagine this is endemic in most companies that are overly managed in the name of profit.

HOLA4420

I work for one of the medium sized national house builders, last year was truly terrible in what was produced for us, we are known as one of the better ones aswell. There is a huge problem with available skilled labour at the moment, there just isn't the labour force in certain areas anymore. There is also major issues with the supply chain of materials which is also causing delays. In relation to quality, I find the housing association homes generally are finished to a much higher standard, purely because they have clerk of works which snag the hell out of the units before they get handed over. To be honest though I think most private mass built housing stock has been poor for a long time, purely because it's profit driven, and minimal quality control checks as minimal reprocussions. I do wonder though if the government stipulated you can only sell the plot once build complete if that would simple put up the standards as people would see what they are getting.

• 1 month later...
HOLA4421

Bovis now giving people money back on their shoddily built rabbit hutches.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/feb/20/bovis-to-pay-7m-to-compensate-customers-angry-at-poorly-built-homes

Bovis Homes is to pay £7m to repair poorly built new homes sold to customers, raising fresh questions about the standards of new-build properties across the country and the regulation of the market.

Are you a Bovis homeowner awaiting compensation?

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Watched a few flat pack home docs over the last few days.

Timber framed. Arrives on a lorry. Buy a plot, oversee build, hector the crap out of them at every stage.

Could be the way to go. At least a new build would give the option of installing new cost cutting energy tech.

A plot near me had a house delivered and erected in less than a week. Think they were from Holland or Belgium.

Also found this today.

http://www.dan-wood.co.uk/

Some nice designs though it think these are more of a pre fab construction.

I'm maybe looking to move, however new builds are completely off the table. They are without exception disappointing.

Have you seen the width of the average living room? About 11 feet wide. They are like old skittle alleys. Dreadful.

And the pure density of the builds. No privacy. They are soul sucking hell holes.

Would prefer my house arriving on the back of a lorry and plonked in its own spacious plot thankyou very much.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425