House Price Crash Forum

Tony blair to combat populism

SarahBell

HOLA441

One man who is definitely not standing - despite the prompting of a few readers - is Tony Blair. He has announced that he is putting £9.3m of the proceeds from his business empire into his new body set up to combat populism.

http://labourlist.org/2017/01/tony-blair-injects-9m-into-new-centre-ground-policy-institute/

At its root, populism is a belief in the power of regular people, and in their right to have control over their government rather than a small group of political insiders or a wealthy elite.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

This is a tax dodge.  'Windrush Ventures' sounds like a little investment that has come good, but it is one of his vehicles for managing his tax affairs (so that he doesn't pay (much) tax).  It isn't even part of a 'business empire', which sounds like he makes something new, or imports things and takes a cut, or provides a valuable service to customers -- it gets funny money from places like government funding, and NGOs like Gates and Clinton foundations to spend some of it in development, but most of it in funding his lifestyle.  

The shifting of money from Windrush into this new structure is about moving from one tax regime (business) to another tax regime (not-for-profit), without paying tax, but getting tax relief on the 'donation'.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Tony Blair, then Gordon Brown, and then David Cameron all doing exactly as they wanted and dismissing the opinions of the "little people" is why there is so much populist sentiment in the first place.

What he actually wants is people to go back to thinking, doing and voting as they're told by their betters; meaning him.

HOLA447
Guest TheBlueCat

The thing that's so astounding about Blair is his level of self delusion. If he had even an ounce of subjectivity, he'd understand that his name is toxic to all sides and putting it to the remain camp will make it more likely we leave not less.

HOLA448
20 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

The thing that's so astounding about Blair is his level of self delusion. If he had even an ounce of subjectivity, he'd understand that his name is toxic to all sides and putting it to the remain camp will make it more likely we leave not less.

Actually, I was down the pub with a handful of Labour voters recently and they said they'd take Teflon Tony back in an instant. Left me momentarily speechless.

HOLA449

Populism - what they promise in the manifestos to get people to vote for and then renege on.  What the majority would vote for in a democracy.

Interesting considering that he pandered to populism before every election he was ever involved in.  He knew how to "combat populism" alright - just renege on what he promised people immediately after being elected.  Never explain anything - just talk in sound bites making extravagant and grand claims all the time.

He was expert at it then - maybe he's going to write it all down now so that everyone can see what he did.

Of course it's an "institute" - how phoney is that.  A "Not For Profit" institute - words fail.

HOLA4410
1 hour ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Actually, I was down the pub with a handful of Labour voters recently and they said they'd take Teflon Tony back in an instant. Left me momentarily speechless.

Were these Labour voters who already owned a property before the early 2000s?

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
51 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

Were these Labour voters who already owned a property before the early 2000s?

No, but they're high earners married to high earners, with no kids. Sufficient income to buy a house in central London, and still buy track cars for amateur racing leagues(?) at the weekends.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
5 hours ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Exactly what I would expect;  a feat of intellectual ability from Labour voters. Teflon Tony instead of...a black hole. :rolleyes:

HOLA4415

I will mention again, because I am an old fart and repeat myself, the Labour Party looks like Woolworth, and the Conservatives look like BHS.

The shiny turd Tony B is without modesty or compassion!

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
5 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

Numerous professionals have labelled Mr Blair as 1) a Delusional Sociopath and 2) as having a Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Having looked them up a read some of the proceedings of the Chilcot inquiry I wholheartedly agree.

There is a paper, Hubris in Leadership: A peril of unbridled intuition, that covers it quite nicely.

Plus psychology books cover the syndrome and state that ' All this reinforces his earlier assertion that George W. Bush and Tony Blair developed hubris syndrome during their terms in office. '

Therefore the man is literally a text-book mental case who probably believes he can only be judged by the great sky fairy.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
4 minutes ago, One-percent said:

Or, his ego is so large he believes that he can argue the point with his chosen sky fairy 

Don't you think he has an appointment with the bloke with the horns first?

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
6 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Don't you think he has an appointment with the bloke with the horns first?

Assuming that's most certainly not "Mr Fabulous" from "The Blues Brothers" you're referring to there Pinny...

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
6 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

Assuming that's most certainly not "Mr Fabulous" from "The Blues Brothers" you're referring to there Pinny...

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

One of my favourite films BTW.

1 hour ago, whitevanman said:

"A day like today is not a day for soundbites, really. But I feel the hand of history upon our shoulders. I really do." 

My favourite Tony quote, it captures his character quite succinctly.

Satan's hand of fistory will be inserted.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Let's just add "ism" to the end so it aligns with racism, fascism, sexism etc and give it negative connotations.

Luckily I think lots - though not all - of the population are starting to see through this pish.

Archived