House Price Crash Forum

Walkers Crisps - they've messed them up

knock out johnny

HOLA441

I like to begin the evening with a pint and a packet of cheese and onion Walkers

The last fortnight the crisps have been ultra thin and like eating baked paper. I thought it was either just me, or a rogue batch, but on speaking with a colleague at work, he stopped eating them a month ago for the same reason (his source is far removed from mine - lunch deal in the City's tesco as opposed to my working man;s club in the 'burbs).

Anyone else notice? and if you have - wtf have they done?

/first world problem

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
4 minutes ago, XswampyX said:

I'm still reeling from when they went from green (golden wonder) to blue (walkers). Who decided that? 

I thought that was a genius bit of marketing - going against the unwritten colour coding convention of crisp flavours of the two big players of the uk crisp scene - golden wonder and KP (and many other smaller players)

I joke not - it's the first thing I noticed about the new upstart brand that was Walkers as a kid

HOLA445

Walkers crisps have gone the way of Golden Wonder and Smiths - used to be excellent now just tasteless cardboard - even the Walkers Sensations - all the money is going to Lineker.

The best cheese and onion are M & S - two bags for £3.

The same fate has befallen Lion's Midget Gems, also under Maynard's, flavourless nothingness.   

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
5 hours ago, XswampyX said:

I'm still reeling from when they went from green (golden wonder) to blue (walkers). Who decided that? 

I signed up to Yougov email alerts some time ago. I rarely bother to look when they say a new survey is available to fill in, but a couple of days ago I did just that and one of the questions was what colour packet you thought each of a list of flavours should be sold in.

I'm a traditionalist on crisp matters.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

I stopped buying them months ago......if I buy crisps I buy lidl, have noticed they have improved their crisps recently, they did go through a stage when the bags sometimes came apart allowing air in so every now and again got a soft crisps pack......Morrisons are OK too. ;)

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I'm pleased to say that I don't actually eat crisps any more; after a very bad stomach upset they had all the allure of a salted sliver of chipboard.

I'm sure that I could eat them these days but given how bad they are for you and that I used to eat too many I'm not about to try to wean myself back onto them.

HOLA4414
5 hours ago, canbuywontbuy said:

Absolutely.  Green was the standard colour of cheese and onion no matter what the brand. 

Red .....ready salted

Green . Cheese and onion

Blue ...salt andv vinegar

Pink ......prawn cocktail

Orangeybrown.......roast chicken

Dark brown .....beef

Purple......smokey bacon/ worcester sauce

Global standard right there.  WHY did they f8ck with it.

What happened to Golden Wonder anyway.?

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Been eating Smokey Bacon since the 60s. Not in UK so can't check but it sounds like another staple has gone to the great snack bar in the sky.

Edit: Actually I think I have tried the new ones. My wife bought a large bag of Smokey Bacon crisps before we left, it contained six "mouthful sized bags" and although they tasted okay they did seem a bit thinner than usual.

HOLA4418
11 minutes ago, Neptune said:

Red .....ready salted

Green . Cheese and onion

Blue ...salt andv vinegar

Pink ......prawn cocktail

Orangeybrown.......roast chicken

Dark brown .....beef

Purple......smokey bacon/ worcester sauce

Global standard right there.  WHY did they f8ck with it.

What happened to Golden Wonder anyway.?

Nope, Red for Ready Salted was a Walkers thing. It was always light blue for Salt and Vinegar and Dark Blue for Ready Salted

rs.jpeg

snv.jpeg

Untitled-3.jpg

HOLA4419
2 minutes ago, gilf said:

Nope, Red for Ready Salted was a Walkers thing. It was always light blue for Salt and Vinegar and Dark Blue for Ready Salted

rs.jpeg

snv.jpeg

Thats brought a memory back.  Are those bags from your own personel collection. They must be worth something.

I guess Ive accepted the colour red. It seemed to make sense.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
Just now, Neptune said:

Thats brought a memory back.  Are those bags from your own personel collection. They must be worth something.

I guess Ive accepted the colour red. It seemed to make sense.

Haha - No, just from google image search, brought back a lot of memories for me too doing that, loads of great "crips" back in the 80's. 

To be fair once walkers were established it seems many people followed with the Red convention. 

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
15 minutes ago, John The Pessimist said:

Tayto cheese & onion crisps are the best in the world! You have to look hard to find them and stockpile when you do find a shop selling them. 

Maybe a London thing (or specific to where I live) but you can get Tayto in loads of places here, particularly the Cheese and Onion ones. Most super markets have them and loads of the pubs, 4-5 years ago it was just the Irish pubs but they have become far more common now. 

Personally I don't think they are that great but certainly better than what Walkers have become. 

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived