Walkers Crisps - they've messed them up

knock out johnny

HOLA441
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

Reports in the press over Walkers (sorry Pepsico inc) hiking the price of their crisps.

'Walkers has said that despite using British potatoes, it needs to increase prices because the weak post-Brexit vote pound has made it more expensive to import the other ingredients and packaging that go into its finished bags of crisps.'

So the only thing other than potatoes is flavouring, oil, cardboard and the aluminised film bag, and they cannot be sourced in the UK?  Smells like a board level excuse to me as Walkers are already very pricey for the bog standard ones.

Other quite often better alternatives are available that do not line Gary Linekers pockets.

HOLA444
On 10/27/2016 at 8:23 PM, spyguy said:

The price would have shut you up.

Pizza pasta places - puzza express, zizzi, strada etc - are pure accountants/MBA operations.

Italian food is choosen as it has the highest margin- mainly dough, limited skill, the more meally stuff comes from Brakes brothers.

Funny the example of Pizza Express came up, I worked for them whilst studying during the early 2000s. When I started in about 2003 they were privately owned by the founder and insisted on using solely Italian-sourced fresh ingredients (apart from the dough which was always frozen). Got sold to some investment vehicle soon after, and the quality of the ingredients went off a cliff (crap Eastern European/South American meats etc), the menu was changed to include the laughable pizzas with holes, celebrity chef tie-ins became commonplace and they started channeling their energies towards advertising and marketing.

Think it's been punted on twice since, each time the quality of the food has suffered to the extent they're not much better than the crap pizza chains they replaced all those years ago!

HOLA445
3 hours ago, ChewingGrass said:

Reports in the press over Walkers (sorry Pepsico inc) hiking the price of their crisps.

'Walkers has said that despite using British potatoes, it needs to increase prices because the weak post-Brexit vote pound has made it more expensive to import the other ingredients and packaging that go into its finished bags of crisps.'

So the only thing other than potatoes is flavouring, oil, cardboard and the aluminised film bag, and they cannot be sourced in the UK?  Smells like a board level excuse to me as Walkers are already very pricey for the bog standard ones.

Other quite often better alternatives are available that do not line Gary Linekers pockets.

Since I haven't bought a packet in years they are welcome to raise prices.

HOLA446
2 hours ago, Craig_ said:

Funny the example of Pizza Express came up, I worked for them whilst studying during the early 2000s. When I started in about 2003 they were privately owned by the founder and insisted on using solely Italian-sourced fresh ingredients (apart from the dough which was always frozen). Got sold to some investment vehicle soon after, and the quality of the ingredients went off a cliff (crap Eastern European/South American meats etc), the menu was changed to include the laughable pizzas with holes, celebrity chef tie-ins became commonplace and they started channeling their energies towards advertising and marketing.

Think it's been punted on twice since, each time the quality of the food has suffered to the extent they're not much better than the crap pizza chains they replaced all those years ago!

I like Pizza Hut.

The pizzasa are as puzzas should be - cheap.

And you get pig out on the bar for your greens. I can easily eat my pizzas cost in salad and get the pizza for free.

Ive never comd away from pizzahut feeling less than bloated.

Whereas pizza hut ..... skimpy unfilling junk.

The best Italian in the UK, outside of Italy is in Scarborough. No, not the expensize one, its Pomodoro. 

HOLA447
1 hour ago, spyguy said:

I like Pizza Hut.

And you get pig out on the bar for your greens. I can easily eat my pizzas cost in salad and get the pizza for free.

The best Italian in the UK, outside of Italy is in Scarborough. No, not the expensize one, its Pomodoro. 

Christ ive not been in there since my Scarborough tech days 

HOLA448
11 minutes ago, One-percent said:

Christ ive not been in there since my Scarborough tech days 

Pomodoro - as is now - is new. Opened 3-4 years ago.

Its down Eastboro, opposite Argos.

My partner will only go past the banks on Eastboro to go to Pomodoros. Rest of the street is depressing.

HOLA449
13 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Pomodoro - as is now - is new. Opened 3-4 years ago.

Its down Eastboro, opposite Argos.

My partner will only go past the banks on Eastboro to go to Pomodoros. Rest of the street is depressing.

Ah, my mistake. Thought it was the one down newborough/eastborough that has been there for yonks. 

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
1 minute ago, spyguy said:

Florios? Opened in 86.
I think its owned by the Golden Grid people - Seniors.

Nope, would have been in late 70s (feck I'm old). It was my first experience of 'foreign' food, other than the vesta curry treat of a Saturday night :lol:.  Thought it all very exotic :wacko:

HOLA4412
6 hours ago, ChewingGrass said:

You might as well assume that all products in the UK are priced at the point where they'll make maximum profit.  ie, if they could have charged a higher price without impacting too much on sales then they would have done.

This (and all the other examples we've heard recently) have been more to do with the public being primed for price increases and large companies being prepared to take advantage of them.

We will get 'proper' inflation in this country, but it will be driven by demands for wage increases rather than by speculative moves by large corps.

HOLA4413
5 hours ago, spyguy said:

I like Pizza Hut.

So you like pizza hut, but say pizza hut is skimpy unfilling junk.

HOLA4414
7 minutes ago, happy_renting said:

So you like pizza hut, but say pizza hut is skimpy unfilling junk.

"Spyguy" is obviously a double-agent..!

;)

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

HOLA4415
12 hours ago, StainlessSteelCat said:

Since I haven't bought a packet in years they are welcome to raise prices.

It all helps the nation's health when purveyors of junk food start charging more for their blends of starch and fat.

See also brand name chocolate bars.

I don't have a brilliant diet but crisps and chocolate bars do not form a part of it.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
18 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I'm by no means a member of the skinflinterati (TM) , but in no way can Pizza Hut be considered "cheap". £14 for a medium pizza is daylight robbery.

A cheap pizza for me is ~£3

Im a PizzaHut fan.

You can get a mon-fri buffet which gives you all you can eat pizza and salad for ~£8.

Outside of the deal, a large pizza will fill up 2 people with some spare to takeaway plus free salad again.

HOLA4419
On 06/11/2016 at 11:01 PM, The XYY Man said:

"Spyguy" is obviously a double-agent..!

;)

XYY

Are you into chipped potatoes?

HOLA4420
On 11/8/2016 at 5:41 PM, happy_renting said:

Are you into chipped potatoes?

I'm not - but the blotto churchwarden in my village just might be...

XYY

Archived