Pokemon

happy_renting

HOLA441
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

Ageed. Two of mine have been out quite a bit more over the last week. Middle son walked the dog whilst out looking today, bonus.

It was lovely seeing other young people out and about too, looking at their screens

We did watch some YouTube footage this morning of a huge wave of people who found a Charizard somewhere in the States, I think. They were all ages.

Completed for you.

Talk about uber madness of crowds / hysterical worship of trivial idols

All those resources & time wasted doing nothing useful

HOLA444

Given the servers have been down for the past 4 hours, most of the kids out are just socializing in parks or near churches. It's great just walking around and seeing how many people are just randomly talking to strangers and making conversation/new real physical friends.

HOLA445

I have not read the rest of the thread as Joe started a thread on the share price earlier this week.

However, I went out for a bike ride today and then for lunch,. Along the way I passed numerous kids and adults walking along looking intently at their phones. I stopped each and every one and asked them whether they were playing it - all but 3 were playing the game... which made me pause for thought.

The only 3 who were not knew of the game but they were looking for a beach on Gower - Chinese students.

HOLA446

I'm in two minds about this.

Anything that gets people outside doing 'stuff' is generally to be applauded.

but things that infantilise adults are generally to be criticised.

This appears to be both.

HOLA447

It was lovely seeing other young people out and about too, looking at their screens

Completed for you.

Talk about uber madness of crowds / hysterical worship of trivial idols

All those resources & time wasted doing nothing useful

ah Bruce Lee was right...

"It's like a finger pointing to the moon... Don't look at the finger or you will miss all the heavenly glory."

HOLA448

things that infantilise adults are generally to be criticised.

Are generally to be criticised... by who? Miserable gits?

The world would be a better place if more adults knew how to be lighthearted and have fun. Victoria's not on the throne anymore, we don't all have to walk around wearing black formal clothes and a frown.

HOLA449

The world would be a better place if more adults knew how to be lighthearted and have fun. Victoria's not on the throne anymore, we don't all have to walk around wearing black formal clothes and a frown.

Well said.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

criticised by those that realise that the fruits of western civilisation were won through hard work and hard thinking, not chasing Pokemon or watching f*ing come dancing big bruvver. If people don't focus on how to preserve and enhance what we have, the future will turn pretty shitty for all of us.

Look at the current blindness over Islam, or immigration, or fiat currencies, or debt ponzi housing markets (this whole sites existence is due to the last one!!). Less vacuous entertainment, more thought, and we might now not be so far up shite creek.

HOLA4413

You may be right. But here's a contrarian view:

If it follows the same path as Ingress it'll become a very sociable team based, community activity. One of the few things to come out of recent tech promises to deliver...on connecting people in real life in novel and interesting ways.

Probably more positive than arguing on the internet about house prices, while sat in your front room...eh? ;)

P

sat in my study, actually, but take your point :P

HOLA4414

criticised by those that realise that the fruits of western civilisation were won through hard work and hard thinking, not chasing Pokemon or watching f*ing come dancing big bruvver. If people don't focus on how to preserve and enhance what we have, the future will turn pretty shitty for all of us.

Look at the current blindness over Islam, or immigration, or fiat currencies, or debt ponzi housing markets (this whole sites existence is due to the last one!!). Less vacuous entertainment, more thought, and we might now not be so far up shite creek.

That's an argument for not getting carried away with it. If people have a bit of fun then great, if they spend all their time doing nothing else, not so much. The future looks pretty shitty anyway.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

criticised by those that realise that the fruits of western civilisation were won through hard work and hard thinking, not chasing Pokemon

A game that brings joy to tens of millions of people is a fruit of civilisation.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Just don't get the whole thing me like.

I thought a few illegal subtances might help me - so I got well wasted and tried the game.

No difference, still don't get it.

Even though I was totally Poke-monged...

XYY

HOLA4420

It's the 20-30 somethings giddily running around chasing imaginary cartoon characters that we need to find some kind of final solution for.

Would that be the same age group who were complaining the Brexiters have stolen their future, while they spend their present chasing imaginary monsters?

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

2000AD nailed the citizen fad craze meme a good while back....

Ah! Citizen Snork! Nothing changes :blink:

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived