House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441

Theresa May under increased pressure to oppose Irish Brexit backstop

Prime Minister Theresa May has come under further pressure to scrap the EU's Irish backstop proposal, as Boris Johnson slammed the plan as the "greatest national humiliation since Suez". City AM

Boris is doing the same thing than before.

HOLA442
53 minutes ago, jonb2 said:

Indeed.

I spent most of the early 90s fighting repossession while I could have spent better time with my family. Barclays took me to court 4 times - each time I won fighting technicalities - their lawyers were so overworked by repossession work they never did their homework properly.

Eventually sold when prices reached a point we could cover the debt situation.

Living under the cosh of uncertain shelter with little kids in tow for years is why I am here.

Gravy, Rock the Kasbah. Never happened. Bring it on, with the Unicorns.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
58 minutes ago, rollover said:

Boris is doing the same thing than before.

I'm hoping that Theresa manages to bring a firm deal to parliament, who reject it, she resigns, Boris takes over and we finally get to see the emperor with no clothes on.

The only way forward for this country is to make brexiters accountable and expose them for the frauds and liars they are. We can't do that while they can continue to snipe from the side without any repurcussions.

HOLA446
4 hours ago, jonb2 said:

Indeed.

I spent most of the early 90s fighting repossession while I could have spent better time with my family. Barclays took me to court 4 times - each time I won fighting technicalities - their lawyers were so overworked by repossession work they never did their homework properly.

Eventually sold when prices reached a point we could cover the debt situation.

Living under the cosh of uncertain shelter with little kids in tow for years is why I am here.

For the first time I find myself genuinely sympathising with you, that must of been a tough time. 

Though I don't share your solutions on preventing a repeat, and I no longer blame the Tories as much as I once did. The are massive issues in the UK, and  I don't think the present Tories or Corbyn are anywhere close to being the answer.

HOLA447
5 hours ago, dugsbody said:

I'm hoping that Theresa manages to bring a firm deal to parliament, who reject it, she resigns, Boris takes over and we finally get to see the emperor with no clothes on.

I think a more likely series of events is May brings deal to Parliament, Parliament rejects it, May calls general election.

What happens after that is anybody's guess.

HOLA448
12 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

I think a more likely series of events is May brings deal to Parliament, Parliament rejects it, May calls general election.

I think, May Brexit deal will be accepted in Parliament. Labour rebels will make sure it will go through.

HOLA449
6 hours ago, GrizzlyDave said:

It’s not the same thing.

Your statement has a mutuality of obligation ‘if’... x ‘then’... y

Mine doesn’t.

That's just plain nonsense.  Mine is clearly ridiculing anyone thinking anything is owed by anyone, the same as yours, you're just being a dick.

Edited by HairyOb1

HOLA4410
20 minutes ago, rollover said:

I think, May Brexit deal will be accepted in Parliament. Labour rebels will make sure it will go through.

You can count the pro-Brexit Labour MPs on one hand, and even they would probably prefer to see May fall than vote for a hard-ish Brexit. There are far more Tory MPs who might vote against a deal that takes the UK out of the single market, plus the DUP have explicitly said they will vote against any deal which puts any border in the Irish Sea.

The parliamentary arithmetic is against May. The opposition parties will all vote against her, the DUP will vote against her unless she miraculously comes up with a deal which puts no border in the Irish Sea, and hardcore remainer Tory MPs might vote against her if she tries to take the UK out of the single market.

Edited by Dorkins

HOLA4411

Jacob Rees-Mogg joined Nigel Farage at a Leave Means Leave rally in Torquay

He said 'the future of our country is at stake, the future of our party is at stake', and added: 'We are so nearly there, we must make sure that Chequers is binned, that this idea of a customs union, the sheer lunacy of paying £3.5 billion a year to subsidise the European Union for all eternity is binned.

'We are close, we are almost there, we just need to be steady for a few more weeks and if we do that the prize is there to be grasped.'

Daily Mail

image.png.f260d2d91171ef7c7dde959ab612f9e6.png

HOLA4412
32 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

You can count the pro-Brexit Labour MPs on one hand, and even they would probably prefer to see May fall than vote for a hard-ish Brexit. There are far more Tory MPs who might vote against a deal that takes the UK out of the single market, plus the DUP have explicitly said they will vote against any deal which puts any border in the Irish Sea.

The parliamentary arithmetic is against May. The opposition parties will all vote against her, the DUP will vote against her unless she miraculously comes up with a deal which puts no border in the Irish Sea, and hardcore remainer Tory MPs might vote against her if she tries to take the UK out of the single market.

Scenarios
Canada +++ :
DUP stop supporting CS Deal, 12 Rebels vote against.  May loses.

BRINO:
30-80 Cons vote against, all Labout, Libdems and SNPs. May loses.

Hard Brexit:
ALL Labour, LD and SNP plus 12 Con rebels.  Tight, but I think May loses.

In short, I can't see May coming out of this well at all.  She'll still try and maintain face, but in 2 scenarios, it's effectively a VONC.

Election within months.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
1 hour ago, Dorkins said:

If that happens the Cons are stuck with May leading another election campaign. A pretty scary prospect for them which my help her get the deal through no matter how dodgy it is.

Edited by Confusion of VIs

HOLA4415
18 minutes ago, HairyOb1 said:

Scenarios
Canada +++ :
DUP stop supporting CS Deal, 12 Rebels vote against.  May loses.

BRINO:

Hard Brexit:
ALL Labour, LD and SNP plus 12 Con rebels.  Tight, but I think May loses.

In short, I can't see May coming out of this well at all.  She'll still try and maintain face, but in 2 scenarios, it's effectively a VONC.

Election within months.

I think, Labour rebels may help the BRINO go through, and not let go Tories off the hook.

It would be a double whammy, government will fall with possible early elections and Conservative party will split up.

HOLA4416

BREXIT DEAL 'DONE'

Brexit deal ‘set to be finalised TOMORROW before being presented to British government next week’

Last night the memo, circulating among EU ambassadors, sparked fury from Brexiteers. It boasts: “Deal made, nothing made public (in theory).” It says the plan will be rubber-stamped by the Government tomorrow before being announced amid fanfares in Brussels.

And a leaked memo reveals senior European negotiators want to agree terms today — before the Cabinet has seen them. BRITAIN has stitched up a secret Brexit deal with EU chiefs, it has been reported. The Sun

Interesting, they can't afford not to make Brexit deal in current hot air situation.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
1 hour ago, rollover said:

I think, Labour rebels may help the BRINO go through, and not let go Tories off the hook.

It would be a double whammy, government will fall with possible early elections and Conservative party will split up.

I can't see there being enough Labour rebels to thwart the ERG, which claims to have 40-80 members support.

HOLA4419

I think, Labour rebels may help the BRINO go through

Seriously, which Labour rebels are these that will vote with May to take the UK out of the single market? Not the Labour right like Umunna, Kinnock, Kendall etc - they are ardent pro-Europeans. Labour Leave MPs are mostly hard left trade unionist types who don't trust the neoliberal EU project - keeping a Conservative government in power is not exactly why they went into politics.

Labour can offer the DUP what it wants in the form of a Norway Brexit for the whole UK. Out of the CU, in the SM, no border in the Irish Sea.

HOLA4420
2 hours ago, HairyOb1 said:

BRINO:

What is BRINO? Is it different from Norway (in SM, out of CU)? It's hard enough to make sense of this thread, at least define your terms.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
8 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Lol, so (if true) this big Brexit deal is for the UK to stay in the EU (minus representation) until December 2021 while the negotiations continue?

It's like a student spending a whole day of revision redrawing their revision timetable.

HOLA4424
5 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

What's the logic behind three years. If it is to negotiate a comprehensive trade deal these take berween 5-10 years

It's 3 years for now because Team May thinks Tory MPs will stomach that. In early 2020 the then leader of the Tory party (assuming they are still in power) can extend it again.

Looks like Brexit could last well into the 2020s. We should have a party when this thread hits 5k pages.

HOLA4425