House Price Crash Forum

American College Of Pediatricians: Gender Ideology Harms Children

The Eagle

HOLA441

Finally some institution goes against this dangerous nonsense called 'gender ideology'!

The American College of Pediatricians urges educators and legislators to reject all policies that condition children to accept as normal a life of chemical and surgical impersonation of the opposite sex. Facts – not ideology – determine reality.

1. Human sexuality is an objective biological binary trait: “XY” and “XX” are genetic markers of health – not genetic markers of a disorder. The norm for human design is to be conceived either male or female. Human sexuality is binary by design with the obvious purpose being the reproduction and flourishing of our species. This principle is self-evident. The exceedingly rare disorders of sex development (DSDs), including but not limited to testicular feminization and congenital adrenal hyperplasia, are all medically identifiable deviations from the sexual binary norm, and are rightly recognized as disorders of human design. Individuals with DSDs do not constitute a third sex.

[...]
People who identify as “feeling like the opposite sex” or “somewhere in between” do not comprise a third sex. They remain biological men or biological women

[...]

A person’s belief that he or she is something they are not is, at best, a sign of confused thinking. When an otherwise healthy biological boy believes he is a girl, or an otherwise healthy biological girl believes she is a boy, an objective psychological problem exists that lies in the mind not the body, and it should be treated as such. These children suffer from gender dysphoria. Gender dysphoria (GD), formerly listed as Gender Identity Disorder (GID), is a recognized mental disorder in the most recent edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of the American Psychiatric Association (DSM-V). The psychodynamic and social learning theories of GD/GID have never been disproved.

[...]

According to the DSM-V, as many as 98% of gender confused boys and 88% of gender confused girls eventually accept their biological sex after naturally passing through puberty.

[...]

Conditioning children into believing that a lifetime of chemical and surgical impersonation of the opposite sex is normal and healthful is child abuse.

Full statement here:

http://www.acpeds.org/the-college-speaks/position-statements/gender-ideology-harms-children

I hope this statement will have the impact it ought to have, but I worry that this will simply be ignored by those who are driving the 'gender ideology' agenda.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

I was reading a few articles over the weekend about twins where one or both have gone down the sex-change route.

I really don't know what to make of it. In some aspects you get a feeling that it is almost a trendy status symbol for some parents to say that they have a transgendered child. Look at me - see how cool I am.

I don't think that you can generalise though that all people who feel this way have a mental health problem. Just as you cannot generalise that everyone who feels this way is born in the wrong body. It is far too complex for generalisations.

I like to think that, in some Star Trek future, we will have a far better idea of what is going on and also have the means to change physical gender far more easily. Maybe through altering the very genes or some kind of Trekkie transporter technology. Today it just seems brutal.

What are the views of this association of paedatricians on gay men and women?

HOLA444

That's an unnecessary jab at the end TMT.

They have it right IMO. For all the "born in the wrong body" claims the physical side has nothing to do with it. The men aren't desirous of hot flushes and periods. What they seek are the perceived privileges of the other gender within the social framework.

Which is fine, you can certainly understand why somebody unhappy about a tough boy's upbringing - cold wet muddy rugby fields - would crave being allowed to sit indoors painting their nails all day. And vice versa if you are actually sat inside painting your nails all day and want to be on the rugby field.

It's being "born with the wrong body" only because you think that the body dictates the role you have in society.

We've all surely thought at one point, if wrongly, that life would be so much easier and better if only...

These days the "if only" tends to be winning the lottery but it all boils down to thinking that the grass is always greener.

HOLA445

All gender ID issues are, as I always believed, symptomatic of brain problems.

We should stop bringing up mentally weak offspring and instill some toughness and resilience into our kids' brains. Not caving in to their every whim, making them wait for a while for gratification - or even NOT gratifying their every whim while ensuring that genuine needs are met.

Well done, American College of Pediatriciams, for telling it like it is.

HOLA446

Apart from the trivialities like what you wear and whether you prefer girls or boys toys and pursuits ...

Has anyone here not ever had fantasies of experiencing the sexual act from the end you never can? And perhaps other biologically sex-specific things? It doesn't really have to be more than idle curiosity, though of course it can.

Easy for first-world-problem-mongers with time on their hands to extrapolate from that kind of startingpoint.

HOLA447

Mate of mine is a clinical psychologist and as liberal as they come, but he says that those undergoing gender realignment surgery don't end up any happier on average afterwards, according to the science.

What they seek are the perceived privileges of the other gender within the social framework.

Which is fine, you can certainly understand why somebody unhappy about a tough boy's upbringing - cold wet muddy rugby fields - would crave being allowed to sit indoors painting their nails all day. And vice versa if you are actually sat inside painting your nails all day and want to be on the rugby field.

It's being "born with the wrong body" only because you think that the body dictates the role you have in society.

Absolutely spot on.

HOLA448

Totally a mental problem IMO. Perfectly fine for people to live and identify themselves how they want to, but the point where some sections of society decide that it was OK to start cutting bits of people off to further indulge their desires is where it went a bit too far.

HOLA449

Not sure if this is relevant or not, but I'm reminded of a recent interview with Eddie Izzard where he talks about being a straight man who enjoys cross dressing, and how he gets a load of aggro on all fronts for that, including the transexual community.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I didn't get the impression in the cases I've read that it was about sex. Transexuals do go in for selling sex because it's easy money and a normal job is harder for them because they look unusual.

If we had Mr Parry here he could tell us about ?katoeys in Thailand but I didn't get the impression that they were doing it because they wanted to have sex with men as a woman, rather that it offered a relatively well paid and comfortable lifestyle.

I'm not saying that you're wrong; rather that that's not my impression.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Mate of mine is a clinical psychologist and as liberal as they come, but he says that those undergoing gender realignment surgery don't end up any happier on average afterwards, according to the science.

Absolutely spot on.

Thank you Joe!

I've brought up the cross dresser at work before; I could be entirely wrong but I think his motivation is that he's very socially isolated and awkward, he would never have been "one of the lads", and he perceives that as a woman he would have a much better social life based upon both the women he works with and that he doesn't as a man.

He's a nice enough guy but every conversation I have ever had with him (even before the cross-dressing) has been slightly to very awkward; he doesn't know how to talk to people socially (and he's over 50). I think he's autistic rather than "born in the wrong body".

HOLA4415

+1

I see transgenderism as being on the whole a frightfully conservative concept. Why should you have to mutilate your body to live the way you want? Whatever happened to androgyny?

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

+1

I see transgenderism as being on the whole a frightfully conservative concept. Why should you have to mutilate your body to live the way you want? Whatever happened to androgyny?

Whether or not it is conservative depends on whether it is in favour with the establishment or not.

Lobotomies, another form of mutilation, were the policies of the liberals and leftists 100 years ago. But since they are discredited, now we have to view them as far right nazi eugenics stuff.

HOLA4420

I suspect this is it.

I say "suspect" because I don't have an insight into the minds of people who undergo surgery in an attempt to alter their gender.

Which strikes me as actually being impossible anyway. One set of surgery begets another, then another, but the end destination is never reached especially if the problem lies within the realm of psychology.

I can identify with being "gay male". I have never once actually "wanted to be a woman" or "felt like I'm in the wrong body". Clearly there's something different in my psychology to circa 98% of the rest of the men on the planet but the desire to change gender is not something that I can comprehend.

However just because I can't comprehend it, doesn't mean that it isn't real for those concerned. I would imagine that to feel you are the wrong gender is a very bad place to be and whatever causes this, it is misery for those who suffer it.

If you have the money and you want to change your body's apparent gender then having surgery to modify it is probably not a million miles away from e.g. a facelift. It is an entirely voluntary transaction between the patient and surgeon. "Each to their own", I suppose; "up to you how you spend your money".

I do however recall seeing a documentary in which the child was to undergo surgery to change from boy to girl and the child in question was only about seven years old.

While I applaud the parents for doing what they think is right, might I humbly suggest that carrying out potentially irreversible (cleanly) surgery with a seven year old child who is only half way to puberty and whose brain is still in the early stages of development and who is frankly yet to really recognise "a role in society", is grossly misguided.

Does this concept stem from America (which is where the above example was) and the notion that sufficient amounts of money can bring happiness and accomplish anything?

HOLA4421

Does this concept stem from America (which is where the above example was) and the notion that sufficient amounts of money can bring happiness and accomplish anything?

And medicalise absolutely everything because then you cna make money out of it.

HOLA4422

I was reading a few articles over the weekend about twins where one or both have gone down the sex-change route.

I really don't know what to make of it. In some aspects you get a feeling that it is almost a trendy status symbol for some parents to say that they have a transgendered child. Look at me - see how cool I am.

I don't think that you can generalise though that all people who feel this way have a mental health problem. Just as you cannot generalise that everyone who feels this way is born in the wrong body. It is far too complex for generalisations.

I like to think that, in some Star Trek future, we will have a far better idea of what is going on and also have the means to change physical gender far more easily. Maybe through altering the very genes or some kind of Trekkie transporter technology. Today it just seems brutal.

What are the views of this association of paedatricians on gay men and women?

lemmings jump...some people just want their unhappiness cured...find something to blame that vaguely matches what you feel, et voila, and there is a whole cosmetic industry waiting to take someones cash.

It used to be called hypochondria. Today, its a cash cow.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Whether or not it is conservative depends on whether it is in favour with the establishment or not.

Lobotomies, another form of mutilation, were the policies of the liberals and leftists 100 years ago. But since they are discredited, now we have to view them as far right nazi eugenics stuff.

I don't mean conservative in a political sense but as an attitude. The idea is that you need to modify your body so that it is conformant with what society expects of someone who wishes to play the role you wish to play or express yourself as you want.

HOLA4425

Archived