HOLA441
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
He should be able to borrow 4.5 times his income, giving him maximum lending of £315,000. The problem is finding enough for a deposit and buying costs.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/pensions-retirement/financial-planning/i-worked-in-the-far-east-now-im-renting-at-51-can-i-buy-before-i/

I think they have made the change for this poor guy!

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

A pensions researcher (the "head", no less!) says it's better to have a mortgage until literally your dying day? Seriously? Does he know what retirement is? How does someone who's 81 years old pay off their monthly repayments? Work? With their state pension? With their private (ha!) pension? Nope. Why does he think it's a good idea?

Exactly. There will be no private pensions, state pensions, or even jobs in 25 years to pay off the mortgage!

:lol:

HOLA447
HOLA448

At what point is a crash welcomed by one and all? The alternative to a never-crash-always-borrow-moar-from-the-future economy is that everybody will be miserable and without retirement. Apart from that, as you are Osborne.

Edited by canbuywontbuy

HOLA449

That's what I read from it. Mortgages until 85 = no retirement.....but what kind of jobs will there be for 80+ year olds?

Over worked and under paid does not make for old bones.....perhaps those who are due to inherit will continue with the repayments? ;)

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Methinks this news report is yet another 'shoeshine boy' moment, marking pretty much the top in this insanely priced market.

Not too many years from now, after the dust has settled, people will look back at announcments like this and say how obviously stupid it was and ask themsleves what were people thinking.

HOLA4413

Methinks this news report is yet another 'shoeshine boy' moment, marking pretty much the top in this insanely priced market.

Not too many years from now, after the dust has settled, people will look back at announcments like this and say how obviously stupid it was and ask themsleves what were people thinking.

The bubble is starting to defy the laws of physics now.

If it doesn't pop within the next 12 months we may as well admit defeat and close this forum down and be done with it.

Reality used to be a friend of mine, but now it's seriously taking the pi$$

HOLA4414

No.

I think this relates to NW mortgage book and current set of rules.

Its probably got a shitload of IO mortgages and is looking to wiggle out somehow.

HOLA4415

Aren't they still going to have to look at borrowers' incomes? Presumably the new rules apply to all borrowers, and therefore the oldies should be providing proof of their incomes, including after 65. I suppose they could claim they will keep their jobs, citing anti-discrimination legislation.

HOLA4416

Interesting timing, are NW in full BTL reversal panic mode, all of a sudden? Hopefully. They will on Wednesday implement the tighter BTL lending criteria, and now they are putting measures in place which make it look like they'd like their previous lending repaid at some point. As has been mentioned above, is this just the weight of existing low rate IO crushing their balance sheet for new lending purposes?

Edit the new Nationwide BTL criteria come in on Wednesday 11th May, not today as I originally wrote.

Edited by The Knimbies who say No

HOLA4417

Interesting timing, are NW in full BTL reversal panic mode, all of a sudden? Hopefully. They have (from today) implemented the tighter lending criteria, and now they are putting measures in place which make it look like they'd like their previous lending repaid at some point. As has been mentioned above, is this just the weight of existing low rate IO crushing their balance sheet for new lending purposes?

No, its worse than that.

They are probably in the shit with the number of IO - BTL + OO.

Remember, London/SE mortgages have been IO-only for the last 10-15 years.

They cannot extend without passing the MMR tests i.,e. check on income and other calls on income.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

It's just a few months/years ago when the headlines were talking about restricting mortgages to below the age of 65.

Things change so quickly.

No they haven't.

MMR is still in force.

If you're down to retire at 65 then you will struggle to get a mortgage beyond that.

HOLA4424

Cant do it.

Contracts are with a person.

UK law does nto allow this.

It could only be via a company.

Could you not have a mortgage taken out by two people (one 55+ the other 25-30) with a 50+ year term so that in effect it is intergenerational?

HOLA4425

Could you not have a mortgage taken out by two people (one 55+ the other 25-30) with a 50+ year term so that in effect it is intergenerational?

Only be intergeneration if it was Gary Glitter and his GF. Boom boom.

I think they go by the oldest of he couple.