House Price Crash Forum

Now This Is Frightening.

Bruce Banner

HOLA441

A couple of my Skype contacts got a notification from Skype recently that it was my birthday. I checked my Skype account and I have not filled in personal details like that, so where on Earth did they get it from and why would they think that I would want my all my Skype contacts to be informed when my birthday is.

This harvesting and sharing of our personal information is getting beyond a joke. Fortunately, I usually give false details if I am forced to enter my date of birth online.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

A couple of my Skype contacts got a notification from Skype recently that it was my birthday. I checked my Skype account and I have not filled in personal details like that, so where on Earth did they get it from and why would they think that I would want my all my Skype contacts to be informed when my birthday is.

This harvesting and sharing of our personal information is getting beyond a joke. Fortunately, I usually give false details if I am forced to enter my date of birth online.

Unix clocks don't go back that far! I have the same problem. :wacko:

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Got a windows phone, or windows 8/10 that you log into using a Microsoft account (hotmail.com / outlook.com). The two accounts might have been auto linked as Skype is Microsoft's product.

HOLA4411

Thanks for the pointers.

I've found it, it was my old Microsoft Messenger profile which is now merged with Skype. Date of birth now removed.

The sinister thing is not that they had it but that they chose to freely distribute it to all of my Skype contacts even though it was not on my Skype profile, so much for data protection.

HOLA4412

Thanks for the pointers.

I've found it, it was my old Microsoft Messenger profile which is now merged with Skype. Date of birth now removed.

The sinister thing is not that they had it but that they chose to freely distribute it to all of my Skype contacts even though it was not on my Skype profile, so much for data protection.

Yep. And their sending your **ck selfies to all your Skype contacts was a bit cheeky too.

Big boy.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I had exactly this type of data sharing. In brief:

I'd signed up for a Spotify account with my email address as the user name, which can be either mark or markp @...

Reinstalled OS. Signed into Spotify. That's a bit odd. No subscription showing. I put my card details in again.

I also had a Facebook account. Concerned about privacy I finally managed to track down the means of deleting a Facebook account and it wasn't easy. Although who knows what is deleted and what is retained.

I try to use Spotify, but I'm locked out. I enquire.

Apparently, my login is a "Facebook" login. Since I deleted my Facebook profile it no longer works.

I assert that it isn't a linked login. At no time did I request this.

I then notice two lots of debit card payments coming from my bank account. So I query that, too.

Apparently, when I reinstalled the OS and logged in again, I'd used the email address that matches the Facebook account so it took it upon itself to link them together. I didn't request this, moreover, the login box doesn't ask - it just asks for email and password. There is no "login with Facebook" option. It just takes it upon itself to "try that first".

So I should have got a message about my login being incorrect. Instead, a second account was opened.

So I had my first account with a paid subscription and a second account linked to Facebook with a paid subscription.

More than this, the tracks I had played using the second one might well have been shown alongside my Facebook profile to anyone looking at it. I didn't authorise that, either. I don't have anything to hide, but I'd prefer to select what to disclose. So I was right to leave Facebook.

Spotify also thought it OK - without asking me - to send my email and password to Facebook to see if they happened to have a user with matching details in order to join the accounts. After I asked Facebook to remove them and experienced the "lockout", evidently, Spotify thought it OK to pass my email and password to Facebook to see if they had a user with matching information.

I actually wrote to the Information Commissioner's Office about this, as I thought this such a serious breach of privacy that action would be taken. Absolutely nothing was done and the reply, months later, is that no action is to be taken.

I find this shocking, needless to say I don't have a Spotify account, and their refund of all of both sets of my subscription payments did nothing to alleviate my anger at this.

Absolute scum, both Spotify and Facebook.

HOLA4415

Joking aside, does no one else think that distributing peoples private information without permission is wrong or am I the only one to see the thin end of a wedge?

Edit: I posted at the same time as the post above, it seems I am not alone in wanting some privacy.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Did you read the terms and conditions when you signed up?

So far as this type of data sharing is concerned, I don't think it should be necessary to read the Terms and Conditions in order to know that you won't be shafted in this manner.

For example, with business to consumer websites, the "Do you want to receive promotional mail from us?" has, thanks to EU legislation, to be "opt in" and not "opt out".

However, the tie-in with Facebook came after I initially joined "the first time", and from what I understand, Spotify might well have had their eyes on a future sale of their business to Facebook.

This practice caused widespread anger at the time and I believe that Spotify then changed their login and signup mechanism to make it clear that you *had* to have a Facebook account to use Spotify at all. Which then caused more anger. Though IIRC the tie-in brought them lots more users.

Believe Spotify only has crappy MP3 320k quality files anyway so thankfully it has been challenged by others now with better quality offerings. Hopefully it will die.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Roughly 2 years ago i went in Burger King at Waterloo one Sunday as i waited for a train back home to the shires after a blow out in town.

I distinctly remember paying cash for the snack.

Imagine my surprise when an email from BK landed in my inbox on Tuesday thanking me for my visit.

Still a bit spooked by that.

I had seen demos of facial recognition stuff a year or so prior but thought its use was just aimed within Facebook tagging to sift the likely C1s from the A2s or whatever it is.

HOLA4421

Roughly 2 years ago i went in Burger King at Waterloo one Sunday as i waited for a train back home to the shires after a blow out in town.

Imagine my surprise when an email from BK landed in my inbox on Tuesday thanking me for my visit.

I had seen demos of facial recognition stuff a year or so prior but thought its use was just aimed within Facebook tagging to sift the likely C1s from the A2s or whatever it is.

kinda makes you wonder why we can't find a few ne'er do wells trying to attack ona 'massive scale' doesn't it...

HOLA4422

It may have been phone location, or your phone being recognised by their WiFi; somebody posted about their wife receiving advertising or emails immediately after their (and not their wife) visiting a National Trust property whilst carrying their phone.

It is all data theft but, and I could be wrong, I get the impression that everybody under 25 is fine with all this "Facebook knows best" stuff.

I'd like to know why the Information Commissioner ignored Mark's complaint; maybe they just don't understand it.

HOLA4423

It may have been phone location, or your phone being recognised by their WiFi; somebody posted about their wife receiving advertising or emails immediately after their (and not their wife) visiting a National Trust property whilst carrying their phone.

It is all data theft but, and I could be wrong, I get the impression that everybody under 25 is fine with all this "Facebook knows best" stuff.

I'd like to know why the Information Commissioner ignored Mark's complaint; maybe they just don't understand it.

They won't be if a future "government" rolls the tanks into Facebook HQ, commandeers the servers and proceeds to persecute whatever minority they may belong to.

HOLA4424

If you think BK knowing you've eaten there is scary then this might bother you more

https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/news/ecall-all-new-cars-april-2018

Published on 28/04/2015

Today the European Parliament voted in favour of eCall regulation which requires all new cars be equipped with eCall technology from April 2018. In the event of a serious accident, eCall automatically dials 112 - Europe's single emergency number.
eCall is a perfect example of an EU supported project that developed technological solutions to save people's lives. The legislation now allows delivering real benefits of digital technology. -

It communicates the vehicle's exact location to emergency services, the time of incident and the direction of travel (most important on motorways), even if the driver is unconscious or unable to make a phone call. An eCall can also be triggered manually by pushing a button in the car, for example by a witness of a serious accident. eCall will transmit the data that is absolutely necessary in case of accident. Information only leaves the car in the event of a severe accident and is not stored any longer than necessary.

HOLA4425

Archived