• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Replace the spot lights in the kitchen with L.E.Ds

....what if you don't have spot lights?

I am going to try to grow more food stuff, only hope nature will be generous........I also aim to read more of the interesting books I have collected over the last year.....I also want to learn about and cook different recipes using different ingredients that originate from home and all over the world.....I would also like to visit some new places, places I have never been to before, to meet people I have never met before. ;)

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

I don't normally set any resolutions but this year (and forever more) I have decided to change things.

A few people I know sometimes ask me for advice on particular topics but then generally ignore it completely, without much consideration. I'm not bothered about whether they think I present a defensible viewpoint but it narks me simply because the time would be better spent elsewhere.

I'll need all my spare positive energy and thoughts for my own athletic ambitions this year and that is exactly where I intent to spend my resources.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

My thinking on NY resolutions seems to be very similar to Economic Exile's, and (like her) I also want to thank HPCers for the wonderful mixture of info, wise comments, compassion, craziness, and LOL moments this year! I tend to look on the dark side of life too much. (Trying to being too rational?) But I find my visits to this forum a real tonic to life's ills. So keep up the good work in 2016 chaps and chapesses. (Nb I am part of the latter group.)

Re ways I could improve myself in 2016, I think I would have to say

- worry less

- savour the moments (however brief) when I realise I am feeling real joy and/or contentedness. Cos I reckon it's not normal to feel joy all the time, (unless deranged and/or on drugs) so life is mostly a tiny bit boring (if you are lucky enough to not be going thru any big disasters) and that appreciating the good moments is what makes life really worthwhile. (Along with that whole feeling gratitude thing.)

- walk more

- eat better (less processed stuff, more veg)

- be a nicer/kinder (less judgmental) person

And maybe not this year (but next) ...

- get a (small) dog!

Happy NY everyone!

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Not a chance with Burns night in 3 weeks time!

Gosh. I nearly forgot. I shall start hunting in Tesco for the elusive Haggis! Although it is less of a celebration here, than when I was in Scotland. Tesco in Scotland had giant Haggis, for those with a large clan.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Only one, to practise the piano more systematically, I.e. not in usual grasshopper fashion, getting bored with one piece, moving on to something else and hardly ever getting anything properly polished. And learning the harder scales I haven't bothered with yet,

Aiming for grade 5 later this year - over five decades after I took my last piano exam, which was grade 2.

HOLA4417

Only one, to practise the piano more systematically, I.e. not in usual grasshopper fashion, getting bored with one piece, moving on to something else and hardly ever getting anything properly polished. And learning the harder scales I haven't bothered with yet,

Aiming for grade 5 later this year - over five decades after I took my last piano exam, which was grade 2.

Good one Mrs Bear! Good luck with that!

FYI, I failed my grade5 about 4 decades ago (and immediately gave up having lessons as there was too much going on at that time) but I still occasionally play for my own pleasure.

I would really like to play learn a bit of guitar next (this year) if anything. (But will take an online lesson approach I think.)

HOLA4418

Good one Mrs Bear! Good luck with that!

FYI, I failed my grade5 about 4 decades ago (and immediately gave up having lessons as there was too much going on at that time) but I still occasionally play for my own pleasure.

I would really like to play learn a bit of guitar next (this year) if anything. (But will take an online lesson approach I think.)

What a good ambition, when guitars and pianos are available for so little now. If you get a guitar, get a nice one. I started on a horrible guitar some decades ago. I'm crap at the piano, and now have too little time to practice.

HOLA4419

I found this made practice a lot more enjoyable:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Boogie-Woogie-Hanon-Alfassy-Revised/dp/1780385234/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452169068&sr=8-1&keywords=Boogie-Woogie+Hanon

HOLA4420

Thanks - I must look at Hanon, so often recommended. I have a couple of Czerny books, inc. his 'Practical Method for Beginners on the Pianoforte' - gulp - beginners must have been made of rather sterner stuff in the early 1800s or whenever it was! Some of it looks like grade 6 at least. But the exercises are certainly helpful, not least for sight-reading practice.

HOLA4421

What I linked to isn't really Hanon but rather some blues/boogie riffs that are 'Hanonish'. They get progressively more difficult and give you, more or less, the same result as doing Hanon but with much more fun.

All the exercises are in C. It's up to you to transpose them to other keys.

HOLA4422

What I linked to isn't really Hanon but rather some blues/boogie riffs that are 'Hanonish'. They get progressively more difficult and give you, more or less, the same result as doing Hanon but with much more fun.

All the exercises are in C. It's up to you to transpose them to other keys.

Good Lord no. That involves black notes! :blink:

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4423

Well, that'll teach me to make resolutions and actually carry them out.

I practised so hard, I b*ggered up my left thumb - either doing a load of arpeggios or a 10 note stretch in a certain piece - OK, I should have known better than to try that. Or both.

I thought at first it was the base joint, but now I think it was just a muscle, thank goodness. V painful if I extended that thumb at all. Kept it strapped up for a week and it's a lot better, but still not 100%.

Playing again now, gently.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived