House Price Crash Forum

Women Delay Having Children Not For Careers But Lack Of House

HOLA441

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/11972493/Fertility-Women-are-older-mothers-because-they-cant-buy-houses-Pah.html

Interesting article, though admittedly in the girlie bit of the Telegraph. Looks like delayed motherhood has nothing to do with women's careers, but rather the inability to get a nest. This isn't quite what the article says, but the survey at the bottom says different.

HOLA442
HOLA443

I am on board with all the comments on here regarding child tax credits.

This is the one fly in the ointment I have.

We are not having enough children despite all the frothing at the mouth other the sums of money being offered.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

The other thing people miss is that it isn't just the TCs and other welfare pay and incentivise "the breeding of lazy buggers". But of course that it is the hard working, smart and self deterministic people that have to pay for it and in turn are discouraged to breed. Clearly the quality of the gene pool is going to diminish at a rapid rate.

HOLA449

Boomers need house price eqity more than they need grand children.

Joy as birth rate plummets.

It's been going on for years, every one of my friends delaying or putting off families because they need to sort out shelter first.

Can't take time off to have a baby how they have to both work to keep a roof over their heads.

A couple my wife ad I know just bought a 2 bed end of terrace, former family home with kiddies bunk beds in the 2nd room.

They're paying £1200 a month for a poxy 2 bed now and can't have the kids the previous owners managed.

HOLA4410

And yet kids are spewing out everywhere. Every other face book status is a baby scan. Sister in law is expecting her forth.

People can plan to delay kids, but more so than not they'll conceive and arrive regardless.

Unplanned pregnancies whilst living in inadequate accommodation is the flip side.

This didn't happen in our parents day of course. Apart from it did. Yet cheap housing and labour shortages more than offset the social stigmas, allowing young couples to stand on their own two feet.

Given they had it relatively easy, the boomers just can't fathom how or why their progeny are struggling. Musing on their feckless brood whilst sunning themselves on their second exotic holiday of the year.

The century of the self. The boomers enjoyed the best of both worlds whilst their off spring are denied both cheap housing and future equity/hpi.

The most gilded, entitled and cosseted generation in the history of mankind. Peak generation if you will.

Edited by PopGun

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Kids don't mind sharing, or bunk beds...what they do want is a parent that is there for them, at home when they get home from school....another parent that sets a good example by working to support the family or a mixture of both.....it is not the space per se it the number of full time incomes required to pay for that space, any space.

HOLA4414
I love having the freedom to nip off to Paris for the weekend on the Eurostar, though I’ve never done this because I write for a living and am perennially broke.

The above is from the article. Yes, it's a perfect facepalm moment.

But my OH spouts exactly the same nonsense - "we're in London, we've got the theatres, the museums, the nightlife. Yes, we have no money and we get home from work at 8 and we're knackered. But just think of all the possibilities!".

Luckily I've convinced her to move away, but she still spouts the above line (with regret now) occasionally.

People are strange.

HOLA4415

Looking at schooling options for our nipper just now. Spaces are so stretched, we've come across several schools with intakes last year of 35 kids per class. New buildings and facilities are being developed at a fair clip, but there appears to be no shortage of little ones.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Kids don't mind sharing, or bunk beds...what they do want is a parent that is there for them, at home when they get home from school....another parent that sets a good example by working to support the family or a mixture of both.....it is not the space per se it the number of full time incomes required to pay for that space, any space.

+1

How many social problems from attention starved children doing bad shit just to get noticed because both parents work crazy hours to overpay for a shit barrat home.

HOLA4418

I grew up in rented, but it was social rented so there was a reasonable expectation of being able to grow up in mostly the same place (had to move once during childhood to a sink estate which was a definite blow).

Short tenancies are as much a problem as ownership breeding wise.

Edited by StainlessSteelCat

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

It is not just the space it is not wanting to breathe in drugs from the neighbours (who were given the flat because the mum was a pro single mum).

HOLA4421

It is not just the space it is not wanting to breathe in drugs from the neighbours (who were given the flat because the mum was a pro single mum).

And the noise. I've lived in some private rented dives where I got to the point of not caring whether the neighbours killed each other, if only they would choose a quiet method. I was so glad to buy (years ago, when it was still possible for ordinary people) in a street where I could be sure I was the noisiest resident. (For the record, I'm very quiet - if I want to turn Handel up to 11, I put on my headphones.)

HOLA4422

Looking at schooling options for our nipper just now. Spaces are so stretched, we've come across several schools with intakes last year of 35 kids per class. New buildings and facilities are being developed at a fair clip, but there appears to be no shortage of little ones.

What I always wonder is where will all the jobs be for these children?

Look at secondary schools now. Packed. In ten years time where are the jobs going to be for these children?

The answer is there aren't going to be any. Robots/automation/computers will take an increasingly large share.

Edited by Errol

HOLA4423

So two people spelled the title of a film about a dumbed down future incorrectly - before the third person finally got it correct.

I am not sure if that is irony or something else - but its rather amusing anyway. :D

HOLA4424

And the noise. I've lived in some private rented dives where I got to the point of not caring whether the neighbours killed each other, if only they would choose a quiet method. I was so glad to buy (years ago, when it was still possible for ordinary people) in a street where I could be sure I was the noisiest resident. (For the record, I'm very quiet - if I want to turn Handel up to 11, I put on my headphones.)

I agree with that. It is why I hope to never live in a flat again.

Edited by iamnumerate

HOLA4425

So two people spelled the title of a film about a dumbed down future incorrectly - before the third person finally got it correct.

I am not sure if that is irony or something else - but its rather amusing anyway. :D

He he I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, or they're using an acuresed 'smart' phone.