House Price Crash Forum

The Bbc Propaganda Thread

HOLA441
  • Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

Gobsmacked.  Lost for words.  In relation to the Vauxhall car crisps, the BBC reporter state that to get rid of a uk worker is a third of what it costs to get rid of a German one.  

It tells you all you need to know about how we are viewed by our beloved leaders. I'm amazed that this got past the editor and I've seen it repeated twice.  

HOLA444
1 minute ago, One-percent said:

Gobsmacked.  Lost for words.  In relation to the Vauxhall car crisps, the BBC reporter state that to get rid of a uk worker is a third of what it costs to get rid of a German one.  

It tells you all you need to know about how we are viewed by our beloved leaders. I'm amazed that this got past the editor and I've seen it repeated twice.  

Race to the bottom, when the Germans can't sell finance their expensive products and shed their manufacturing jobs the inverse is true in that businesses would then hire where it is cheaper to employ and will factor in the financial risk of offloading staff as well. The answer then is not Germany (or France).

HOLA445
7 minutes ago, ChewingGrass said:

Race to the bottom, when the Germans can't sell finance their expensive products and shed their manufacturing jobs the inverse is true in that businesses would then hire where it is cheaper to employ and will factor in the financial risk of offloading staff as well. The answer then is not Germany (or France).

I agree.  It looks as if we might actually win that race, although the way that our own industrial base has been offshored maybe not.

HOLA446

This looks like a direct consequence of the cost-cutting plan started in 2011 by then BBC Director-General Mark Thompson.  The exercise was called "Delivering Quality First", although it was dubbed "Destroying Quality Fast" by BBC hacks.

Documented extensively in Private Eye, Thompson's plan was to dispose of the researchers who did fact checking and replace them with a style of reporting shaped by the Hutton report, in which the BBC would merely report what others said instead of checking facts itself.  An example of this is the rise of "quotation marks" stories on the BBC News website, whereby the BBC reports that someone said something, but does not report whether that something is true.

Disposing of researchers increases the apparent bias in BBC stories.  The BBC, like all news reporters, is biased but that bias is implicit rather than explicit.  BBC news staff tend to come from the same socio-economic groups, have similar educational and cultural backgrounds, and therefore tend towards similar opinions, but it would be unusual for the them to be briefed on what 'side' to take with a story.  Before DQF, BBC bias would manifest itself in choices about which stories were reported and the prominence of certain facts within those reports, but the reports overall would usually tell the whole story probably more accurately than most other news reporters.  Disposing of the fact checkers reduces the proportion of factual content in the report and so increases the proportion of the report which is biased.

The Newsnight interview above is a good example of this.  On the Newsnight before DQF, BBC researchers would have had the texts of Trump's speeches in the interviewer's hands and the interviewer would be able to refer to exactly what Trump said.  Now it's left to the interviewee to point out what was actually said, leaving the BBC less able to challenge on the basis of facts and with a greater proportion of the report made up of innuendo, in this case suppression of press freedoms and anti-semitism, which the interviewee then derides as "fake news".

September 11th stopped the rot at newsgathering at the BBC for a bit.  Maybe Trump will have the same effect.

HOLA447

My own opinion is that we should reduce the BBC licence fee by £20 annually until its all gone.

It would be of great benefit also to prohibit the BBC from having any premises in London or indeed anywhere South of Manchester.

HOLA448

There's just been a very strange article on R4 Today.

BBC's latest blockbuster drama - SS-GB - really original, it imagines that the Germans won the war and take over the UK.

Fckme! Worth every penny. I started (and stopped) watching the Man in the High caste on Amazon. Totally different, the Germans win and take over the US. Absolutely no similarity at all.

Anyhow, plagiarism aside. Theyve fcked up the sound recording/dialogue. People cannot here what the actor is saying.

Rolled out one person to say 'Actor playing a very cmplex character, so is choosing to blur his lines'.

Then someone else to tlak about how sound is crap on flat panel TVs ad what people can do to improve it.

So, thats another large budget drama where they fcked up production. Jamaica Inn was the other.

HOLA449

This modern fad of incompetence in sound recording was brought home to me the other night when I was watching a gangster film about John Dillinger.

Most of the time I did not have a clue what they were saying.

But at the end, they showed Dillinger in the Biograph Cinema that was showing Clark Gable in 'Manhattan Melodrama'

They showed clips of the original film and the dialogue was clear and utterly crisp.

Why cannot they do that now?

HOLA4410
5 minutes ago, Byron said:

This modern fad of incompetence in sound recording was brought home to me the other night when I was watching a gangster film about John Dillinger.

Most of the time I did not have a clue what they were saying.

But at the end, they showed Dillinger in the Biograph Cinema that was showing Clark Gable in 'Manhattan Melodrama'

They showed clips of the original film and the dialogue was clear and utterly crisp.

Why cannot they do that now?

BBC quotas probably insist on a deaf black lesbian muslim.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
9 minutes ago, spyguy said:

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/national/article/Steve-Hewletts-family-to-accept-Bafta-award-64be195c-e77f-478d-8b15-e6b558693d1b-ds

Hes won a prize - dying from cancer and working for the BBC!

I listen to the radio a lot. His name has never jumped out as regular or noticeable.

He did a weekly slot candidly chronciling his dying from cancer which I heard a couple of times and was very good; a bit like Jon Diamond's stories of his last year (JD famously took up motorbiking and smoking because he was dying anyway).  It's for that he is being (rightly IMO) applauded.  I'm very surprised that this article doesn't directly point this out; rather alluding to it with these lines:

In a statement, Hewlett's family said: "Over the last year, we have been overwhelmed by the support of friends, colleagues and Radio 4 listeners.

"The messages helped Steve enormously, especially over the last few months.

"The Royal Marsden have been amazing throughout the journey and we are indebted to all the wonderful staff there.

"We'd like to thank Eddie and all the PM listeners, and if people are still keen to help, then we'd like all donations to go towards the brilliant care the Marsden provide."

So if you already know he did this weekly slot on PM you'd have understood this; if you didn't (as you don't, Spy) then it's not telling you it.

Poor journalism.

HOLA4415
2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

He did a weekly slot candidly chronciling his dying from cancer which I heard a couple of times and was very good; a bit like Jon Diamond's stories of his last year (JD famously took up motorbiking and smoking because he was dying anyway).  It's for that he is being (rightly IMO) applauded.  I'm very surprised that this article doesn't directly point this out; rather alluding to it with these lines:

So if you already know he did this weekly slot on PM you'd have understood this; if you didn't (as you don't, Spy) then it's not telling you it.

Poor journalism.

Didnt John Diamond die from lung cancer caused by smoking?

Whilst doing a slot on cabcer whilst you are you dying from it is interesting, what did he do before? Just seems to be another beeb middleaged man in a suit.

HOLA4416
5 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Didnt John Diamond die from lung cancer caused by smoking?

Whilst doing a slot on cabcer whilst you are you dying from it is interesting, what did he do before? Just seems to be another beeb middleaged man in a suit.

Throat cancer for JD.

I had not heard of Steve Hewlett prior to this last year; that's what differentiated him.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
8 hours ago, aberyork said:

Petition - Abolish the tv licence, it shouldn't be a legal requirement.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/170931

Currently has 98,930 signatures

Vichy Dave renewed the charter for 11 years before leaving office so this seems pointless. If you don't want to pay it then just don't. 

HOLA4420
1 hour ago, spunko2010 said:

Vichy Dave renewed the charter for 11 years before leaving office so this seems pointless. If you don't want to pay it then just don't. 

I'm glad the charter was renewed, it gives eleven years for people to take a stand and not pay it (legitimately - ditch the TV as you don't need it) so that a significant minority of non-payers can build up.

Then any swerve of their funding into general taxation or a levy on broadband can no longer be supported by the argument that everybody pays it anyway.

HOLA4421

They should have elaborated more than just saying "it shouldn't be a legal requirement" because it isn't one.

The problem is if you want to watch other channels as they are broadcast and never watch the BBC you still have to fund the BBC and buy a licence.

I wonder what % of people get a licence simply to avoid threatograms, personal delivered threats from G4S and goons looking through your window. Probably a lot of single women and the elderly who live alone.

HOLA4422
On 2/16/2017 at 4:12 PM, crashmonitor said:

There was a sikh chap on the paper review with Aaron Heslelhurst and Adnan Nawaz (or something like that) this morning. He was trying to defend Trump saying the media attacks were overdone and the recent resignation would have been no news under Obama. Aaron was agreeing with him and then Adnan just cut the two of them off and basically defended the BBC and the media saying they would have been equally harsh on Obama.

No they f%%king wouldn't Adnan. Your defence of the attacks on Trump  and claiming Obama would have got the same is exactly what turns people off the BBC. It's as stupid as  if you stamped on Trumps head six times and then gave Obama a slap in the face and then claimed they had received the same. Just stop this f%%king bias.

What's memorable of the day to day material from the bbc during Obama's time was regular recordings of short clips of his latest speech on any subject and mainly reported in a sort of awe and usually in the manner of a commandment from up on high.

Not at all like the treatment of Trump.

HOLA4423
On 2/16/2017 at 6:36 PM, One-percent said:

The cheapness of firing UK workers was supposed to help to increase employment in industry compared to other countries such as Germany but instead it's just continued the offshoring and barrista jobs culture and the benefits and tax credit economy.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived