House Price Crash Forum

Cecil The Lion R.i.p

juvenal

HOLA441

I always imagined you were the sort of bloke with a fishtank. :wacko:

No I prefer to eat them. Catch them sometimes too - but I am not the best angler. I get bored after an hour or so. Thats not really ideal if you want to catch fish - so I have been told.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

I don't think you'd find any hunters who enjoy watching an animal suffer.

As I said before, utter garbage. I'd go as far as saying that many hunters noisily revel in watching an animal suffer.

Hunting invariably involves suffering. It might be a lion wounded with a crossbow then followed for several hours before being killed (as in the case of the Minnesota dentist). Or it might be a petrified fox being chased to exhaustion by a loud bunch of nobs with trumpets on horseback before being savaged by a pack of beagles.

If you did not enjoy seeing an animal suffer you would do neither of those things.

HOLA443

As I said before, utter garbage. I'd go as far as saying that many hunters noisily revel in watching an animal suffer.

Hunting invariably involves suffering. It might be a lion wounded with a crossbow then followed for several hours before being killed (as in the case of the Minnesota dentist). Or it might be a petrified fox being chased to exhaustion by a loud bunch of nobs with trumpets on horseback before being savaged by a pack of beagles.

If you did not enjoy seeing an animal suffer you would do neither of those things.

I am afraid I am on your side with this one Danny. He does not seem like a nice man! In many societies, hunting is a way of life, but often they have a prayer for their kill. I just go to Tesco. :o;)

HOLA444

You clearly have strong view on what hunting is to you.

I have never known anyone who's motivation is to inflict suffering, usually quite the opposite.. most hunters I know want as clean a kill as possible. Watching an animal suffer is not nice.

If you have been out with people who were deliberately trying to inflict the maximum amount of pain and suffering possible then I agree those people are very unpleasant (but vanishingly uncommon in my experience). If hunters were generally as you describe they would aim to wound animals (leg shots etc).. then proceed to torture them somehow. I don't know anyone who does that.. it's just not part of the psychology. Hunters aim for the head, the heart.. they want a clean kill no suffering. Your friends may be the exception, I don't know them.

Your argument that you must enjoy inflicting suffering doesn't work for me. Your beef burger suffered.. it doesn't mean you necessarily revel in the joy of said suffering while you're eating it.

I think the honest answer is that you've never been hunting. Why don't you go and shoot your next meal? That animal will almost certainly have had a better life and quicker death than the one you're about to put in your mouth. If your true interest is welfare, that would be what you'd do. Otherwise you are knowingly inflicting unnecessary suffering on your dinner.

HOLA445

Well Libby, this dentist does not to have been a very good hunter, and my instinct is, that he just wants to kill things. I'm glad I'm not one of his patients. It's perverse to want to shoot an elderly lion. Not like the old cat was ill or dangerous.

I appreciate most hunters are not sadists.

HOLA446

Well Libby, this dentist does not to have been a very good hunter, and my instinct is, that he just wants to kill things. I'm glad I'm not one of his patients. It's perverse to want to shoot an elderly lion. Not like the old cat was ill or dangerous.

I appreciate most hunters are not sadists.

That I agree with. Albeit the satisfaction is not just to kill things.

Computer game producers study human psychology very closely because it is important to them to understand what entertainment is.

Generally you need a challenge and a reward.

Hunting is a very similar, in fact it is a bit like a real life computer game. You have a challenge. You get a reward.

If you take out the challenge and just kill things it's like choosing a lobster in a restaurant. You get the reward, but absent the challenge it's not exactly fun.

Change that to, catch your own (wild) lobster and you can eat it.. suddenly you have a challenge.

Here we are moralising that the former is fine, the latter is grotesque (or at least when applied to other creatures).

Personally I think it's the same thing viewed through different social norms.

HOLA447
HOLA448

I find these things distressing and depressing.

I can cheer myself up with the call for his extradition now as an illegal poacher and the knowledge that although this probably will not happen, we can hope his dental practice is ruined and that it's only a matter of time before he's murdered by someone.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but the world will be no less without one destructive moron.

HOLA449

Not sure if its been mentioned in this thread already.

It's the culture of 'celebrity' that interest me most in this story. The only reason this lion has been on the news is because he was a 'celebrity' - apparently.

If it had been Lion ref #2597 - I doubt anyone would have bothered.

HOLA4410

I find these things distressing and depressing.

I can cheer myself up with the call for his extradition now as an illegal poacher and the knowledge that although this probably will not happen, we can hope his dental practice is ruined and that it's only a matter of time before he's murdered by someone.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but the world will be no less without one destructive moron.

That Lion ate all sorts of other animals.

The curse of being alive is that something else HAS to die in order for each and every one of us to live.

HOLA4411

That Lion ate all sorts of other animals.

The curse of being alive is that something else HAS to die in order for each and every one of us to live.

I'm not sure the second statement is true for humans. Humans don't need to eat other animals, though of course you could argue that plant life is alive. It does not have the same sentience, though.

Carnivorous animals such as big cats are different and have to eat meat to stay alive. The lion was doing something it had to do, and there's the difference.

HOLA4412

Carnivorous animals such as big cats are different and have to eat meat to stay alive. The lion was doing something it had to do, and there's the difference.

They can't help being a destructive morons who should be hunted down and killed?

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I'm not sure the second statement is true for humans. Humans don't need to eat other animals, though of course you could argue that plant life is alive. It does not have the same sentience, though.

I can assure you, plants are alive. They contain various defence mechanisms to stop you eating them. Some fruits want to be eaten though, but these arent the plants themselves, they are the sperm trying to make their way in the mobile world of animals.

HOLA4416

Im going Wasp hunting this weekend over a BBQ...I am thinking of sticking their heads on a wooden plaque and mount them over the fireplace.

If it were hornets you were hunting, I would be impressed.

HOLA4417

You clearly have strong view on what hunting is to you.

I have never known anyone who's motivation is to inflict suffering, usually quite the opposite.. most hunters I know want as clean a kill as possible. Watching an animal suffer is not nice.

I have to agree with this - saying otherwise IMO is just trying to kill the debate by demonising the people you don't agree with. It's more complicated than that by far (with a few obnoxious exceptions that I'm sure most hunters would turn their noses up at).

HOLA4418

I can assure you, plants are alive. They contain various defence mechanisms to stop you eating them. Some fruits want to be eaten though, but these arent the plants themselves, they are the sperm trying to make their way in the mobile world of animals.

There is such a thing as a 'fruitarian'. They only eat plants than 'want' to be eaten, which is pretty much fallen fruit and nothing else! I guess you could take it to the next level and only shit in the woods.

Whether people like it on not our very existence is destructive to other creatures. That's life and death.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

The moral of the story is - don't do anything that can lead you to be a target on social media. It's one of the most powerful forces in the 21st Century.

They talked about aliens having telepathy, well, social media is nearly there!

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived