House Price Crash Forum

Cost Of Degree To Increase By Another £6k?

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

A good option now seems to be work for a degree part time whilst working. Takes 5-6 years rather than 3 but you end up with no debt and some work experience.

My employer pays for day release training like this. (I know it is not the norm). They pay your wages for that day as well as the course fees. You have to pay fees back if you leave within a year.

The other method is to just take the money and leave. I emmigrated to the US aged when I was 24 for a better job, just wouldn't have bothered to come back to face a bill of £50K, rising at RPI++.

Of course, if you degree won't lead to anything, you may as well take the money and never pay it back. My unemployed sister-in-law is doing this, a Drama MA in her 50's.

Edited by VeryMeanReversion

HOLA445
Guest UK Debt Slave

Cost Of Degree To Increase By Another £6k

Cost of an often worthless degree that isn't worth the paper it's written on to increase by another £6K

HOLA446

A good option now seems to be work for a degree part time whilst working. Takes 5-6 years rather than 3 but you end up with no debt and some work experience.

My employer pays for day release training like this. (I know it is not the norm). They pay your wages for that day as well as the course fees. You have to pay fees back if you leave within a year.

The other method is to just take the money and leave. I emmigrated to the US aged when I was 24 for a better job, just wouldn't have bothered to come back to face a bill of £50K, rising at RPI++.

Of course, if you degree won't lead to anything, you may as well take the money and never pay it back. My unemployed sister-in-law is doing this, a Drama MA in her 50's.

Sister, 41, did art degree. Streched degree out for 5 years.

Will not go for any job that will involved her paying back the debt.

HOLA447

She got a grant for that, at fifty! Can anybody over fifty get three years free holiday camp, or are you barred if you have saved money? Seriously it would be my worst nightmare.

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

I has having a chat to a colleague about paying off our student loans this morning. What was interesting is that I found out that one of his sons sat down and did the maths and decided that Uni was now a mugs game and he'd be better off avoiding it. Also one of his step daughters who's a year or two older came to the same conclusion and decided to have a crack at setting up her own business instead.

I was impressed, I hope more young'uns arrive at the same conclusion as these two.

HOLA4411

She got a grant for that, at fifty! Can anybody over fifty get three years free holiday camp, or are you barred if you have saved money? Seriously it would be my worst nightmare.

Yes, available to anyone who doesn't already have a degree. Not means-tested. And the loan is forgiven at 55. So start on at 50-odd and you are essentially getting it for free.

Back to the OP, the reporting seems to suggest this is only for new graduates. But of course it affects everyone who has been on the new system which started back with the Coalition.

Another point - the Tories have proposed turning research Masters and PhDs into loan-based systems too. So if you go down the PhD route that would add another £50k of debt onto your existing £50k. Can't see many PhD-level jobs paying enough to make that worthwhile!

HOLA4412

The only news here is that people thought they would increase the threshold with inflation?.Do they not know how it works with government?.They get you in huge debt and you think oh well the point i pay back isnt too bad.Roll forward 20 years and the level loans start being paid back is half the new living/NM wage.

Its Osborne's weapon of choice.Freeze allowable earnings for eight out of ten years.The other two years a CPI increase.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I has having a chat to a colleague about paying off our student loans this morning. What was interesting is that I found out that one of his sons sat down and did the maths and decided that Uni was now a mugs game and he'd be better off avoiding it. Also one of his step daughters who's a year or two older came to the same conclusion and decided to have a crack at setting up her own business instead.

I was impressed, I hope more young'uns arrive at the same conclusion as these two.

If they could go somewhere decent and do a subject in which they are interested then he should be encouraging them to go as it is a great life experience that a correspondence course cannot replicate. Not everything is down to money.

If of course they were looking at doing media studies at some glorified technical college then they are spot on with not wasting their time or money.

HOLA4415

Yes, available to anyone who doesn't already have a degree. Not means-tested. And the loan is forgiven at 55. So start on at 50-odd and you are essentially getting it for free.

Back to the OP, the reporting seems to suggest this is only for new graduates. But of course it affects everyone who has been on the new system which started back with the Coalition.

Another point - the Tories have proposed turning research Masters and PhDs into loan-based systems too. So if you go down the PhD route that would add another £50k of debt onto your existing £50k. Can't see many PhD-level jobs paying enough to make that worthwhile!

Lends a fresh turn to the phrase 'Piled high and Deep.' ^_^

On the other hand, anything that discourages economics grads from wasting the rest of their lives in the dishonourable company of Krugman, Bernanke et al. can't be all bad.

HOLA4416

If they could go somewhere decent and do a subject in which they are interested then he should be encouraging them to go as it is a great life experience that a correspondence course cannot replicate. Not everything is down to money.

If of course they were looking at doing media studies at some glorified technical college then they are spot on with not wasting their time or money.

Well the step daughter took the Art route so she's probably made the right decision. The son from memory is currently studying engineering. While he could benefit from university I dont think he likes the risk/reward profile.

Based on my experiences I'm not so sure university is such a great life experience anymore. Unless you go to univeristies such as Oxbridge and the like and study a 'respectable' degree, most univeristies are now nothing more than trumpted up Polytechnics full of students of questionable ability studying questionable degrees who are only there because the Poly needs to balance the books and the student can get loans to attend.

If I could wind the clock back I would have saved 15k's worth of debt and not bothered with my degree. In my profession very little of what I learnt at university is still relevent in my day to day work due to advances in technology and the general cluelessness of academics that have never had to work in demanding commercial environments.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Well the step daughter took the Art route so she's probably made the right decision. The son from memory is currently studying engineering. While he could benefit from university I dont think he likes the risk/reward profile.

Based on my experiences I'm not so sure university is such a great life experience anymore. Unless you go to univeristies such as Oxbridge and the like and study a 'respectable' degree, most univeristies are now nothing more than trumpted up Polytechnics full of students of questionable ability studying questionable degrees who are only there because the Poly needs to balance the books and the student can get loans to attend.

If I could wind the clock back I would have saved 15k's worth of debt and not bothered with my degree. In my profession very little of what I learnt at university is still relevent in my day to day work due to advances in technology and the general cluelessness of academics that have never had to work in demanding commercial environments.

That's still what I think of as somewhere decent, when I left sixth form not many went on to a degree but those that did in the main went to those type of places. A couple of my mates went to Keele which we joked about beforehand but they really enjoyed it.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

That should help create the knowledge based economy they are wanting. PhD soon to be only for the rich.

HOLA4422

That should help create the knowledge based economy they are wanting. PhD soon to be only for the rich.

This doesn't make any sense as a proposal. Many PhDs are sponsored by industry (often with a little sweetener thrown in by the university). What happens to that money if the stipend and fees are only lent to the student?

The government could remove its subsidy from particular postgrad courses, but where does that get them? Industry will be asked to take up the slack and the last time they did that (FEC for postdocs) industry just stopped sponsoring postdocs.

Edited by frozen_out

HOLA4423

That's still what I think of as somewhere decent, when I left sixth form not many went on to a degree but those that did in the main went to those type of places. A couple of my mates went to Keele which we joked about beforehand but they really enjoyed it.

I agree too.

In hind sight I would have loved to study at one of the top tier universities and experienced a 'classical' university experience instead of the college v2 box ticking experience you get at former Poly's.

I never made it into 6th form, I applied for a laugh just to see the reaction on the head of 6th's face when i turned up :D . It was never a serious consideration anyway, my school had pretty rubbish computing facilities and I was far better off attending a nearby college (a far more liberating experience than the rather insular 6th form culture at my school).

Back then (98/99) you were the exception if you did NOT go to university, no doubt helped by that snake Blair's 'Education, Education, Eduction' mantra.

p.s While i didnt study at Keele I did play against their rugby team once while I had a very short stay at the terrible UCE. It struck me as quite a nice campus & surroundings.

Edited by eztiger

HOLA4424

course, what you are all forgetting is that this extra cash is great for the Education Industry, GDP and the pension shortfall.

David Beckham Golf Course Artwork is one Ive got my eye on...its 3 years and puts letters after my name.

HOLA4425

Yes, available to anyone who doesn't already have a degree.

Doing an MA without a first degree? I remember the time when universities would have laughed if you had even applied....

Edited by juvenal