House Price Crash Forum

Btl Scum Regrouping And On The Offensive. -- Merged

HOLA441
5 hours ago, SamuearlJackson said:

Dr Beck is not happy with The Guardian:
https://www.property118.com/guardians-current-onslaught-private-landlords/

"when landlords evict someone, they then house someone else, so they still provide the same amount of housing; they are not engaged in ‘buy to leave’ and leaving properties empty; but rather maximising the use of housing as is needed in a housing crisis".

Just like when a BTLer sells a property it doesn't disappear into thin air and reduce the housing stock.

Where has she got the figure of 4.3 years for the average tenancy length from? Landlord Today say it's 18 months: https://www.landlordtoday.co.uk/breaking-news/2016/5/average-tenancy-is-now-18-months

With the average void period of three weeks (http://www.arla.co.uk/media/1042632/arla-prs-report-february-final.pdf), landlords are reducing the effective housing stock by about 3.8% compared with owner occupiers who tend to move in one day. 

HOLA442
17 hours ago, This time said:

Where has she got the figure of 4.3 years for the average tenancy length from? 

Great spot....Did you really ask that?  ??

The Dr uses sources for her information us mere mortals just could not comprehend. She is the poster girl for HPC and one of the key influences why I am an advocate of this site. 

She recounts the horrors of the holocaust....which I think she believes involved altering taxation on leveraged debt to enable other to buy a home to live in. Another fact/history rewrite. 

I said the entitlement of 118 will be its undoing. What I see in the real world, speaking with real people in Aug 2017 v's 2015 seems to have proved me right. Whilst not many openly welcome a crash (real world) they are definitely recognising an unfairness and prices should fall. And that's a big step for Joe Average. 

HOLA443

As BU says, when you're getting banned from Shelters Facebook page you're probably not one of the good guys. This time the target is the Guardian (again) writing about Crisis...

https://m.facebook.com/groups/371572042862286?view=permalink&id=1642977749055036

She demonstrates a horrible lack of understanding about what constitutes a home, and therefore homelessness. The kind of lack of understanding that really only a portfolio landlord could have.

Top irony at the end too.

The 'Tenant Tax' campaign is over, and it never really began.

HOLA444

This may cheer Ros up:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/blog/2017/aug/12/buy-to-let-landlords-vilified-abused

"But has the vilification of some landlords gone too far? Last week, we published the tale of one landlady who is quitting the buy-to-let market for a mix of reasons, including the new tax hikes. It attracted a vast amount of abuse from people who posted comments online. "

HOLA445
On 8/11/2017 at 8:58 AM, SamuearlJackson said:

Dr Beck is not happy with The Guardian:
https://www.property118.com/guardians-current-onslaught-private-landlords/

"when landlords evict someone, they then house someone else, so they still provide the same amount of housing; they are not engaged in ‘buy to leave’ and leaving properties empty; but rather maximising the use of housing as is needed in a housing crisis".

Just like when a BTLer sells a property it doesn't disappear into thin air and reduce the housing stock.

This is true, though.

Landlords always provide exactly the same amount of housing, regardless of evictions: None.

HOLA446
2 hours ago, Ah-so said:

This may cheer Ros up:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/blog/2017/aug/12/buy-to-let-landlords-vilified-abused

"But has the vilification of some landlords gone too far? Last week, we published the tale of one landlady who is quitting the buy-to-let market for a mix of reasons, including the new tax hikes. It attracted a vast amount of abuse from people who posted comments online. "

Expect Ros to now issue a rallying cry for everyone to write to that journalist extolling the nastiness of S24 only for the journalist to disagree and her to call him a moron.

HOLA447
3 hours ago, Lavalas said:

Expect Ros to now issue a rallying cry for everyone to write to that journalist extolling the nastiness of S24 only for the journalist to disagree and her to call him a moron.

Yes, she's going to really love this bit, from the article:

It shouldn’t even be necessary to say that there are good landlords and there are rogue ones. Just like there are good tenants and obnoxious ones. By all means, let’s root out rogue landlords, and the trailblazing work done by Newham council in east London should be followed by local authorities around the country.

Newham council has been able to identify landlords in its borough through an innovative licensing scheme, the first in the UK (though shamefully the government has blocked such initiatives elsewhere). Not only has the local authority uncovered cases of inhuman and unsafe conditions, but its licensing scheme has also instigated 1,135 prosecutions for housing crimes and banned 28 of the worst landlords from operating in the borough. It has overwhelming support from residents and even from most landlords in the borough – because it is rogue landlords who drive down standards and give the decent ones a bad name.

HOLA448
On 11/08/2017 at 2:03 PM, This time said:

Where has she got the figure of 4.3 years for the average tenancy length from? Landlord Today say it's 18 months: https://www.landlordtoday.co.uk/breaking-news/2016/5/average-tenancy-is-now-18-months

With the average void period of three weeks (http://www.arla.co.uk/media/1042632/arla-prs-report-february-final.pdf), landlords are reducing the effective housing stock by about 3.8% compared with owner occupiers who tend to move in one day. 

Excellent point. Shaking out some of the highest leveraged BTLers, who control a significant amount of the rented housing stock, in favour of owner-occupation will effectively increase the overall amount of housing without anyone having to build a single thing.

HOLA449
53 minutes ago, Neverwhere said:

Excellent point. Shaking out some of the highest leveraged BTLers, who control a significant amount of the rented housing stock, in favour of owner-occupation will effectively increase the overall amount of housing without anyone having to build a single thing.

Getting on for 1 years worth of building, about 150k homes. 

4% of 4000000 ~ 150k

More than were built in 2012. 

Edited by DrBuyToLeech

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
7 hours ago, eek said:

Remember that Limited Liability partnership sc(am)heme  Busta was selling last year well it appears that he's finally found out that it doesn't work

https://www.property118.com/beware-tax-planning-models-using-llps/ 

On the other hand look how wrong the HPC hive mind was about the ability of the PovertyLater BTL muppets to jack up the rents...

Oh, hang on. The PovertyLater clowns were totally wrong about that as well according to the ONS IPHRP

5994572b497a4_JamesFraserisanidiot.jpg.d7fbc000019c67f3cfbf5d83e62d2cc0.jpg

Source

HOLA4412
8 minutes ago, Bland Unsight said:

On the other hand look how wrong the HPC hive mind was about the ability of the PovertyLater BTL muppets to jack up the rents...

Chart showing a 2% increase roughly

Source

Don't forget the povertylater lot were talking about an increase of 5%+ to reflect their extra costs. 2% isn't even the current rate of inflation (3.6% remember from yesterday)...

HOLA4413
1 hour ago, Bland Unsight said:

Oh, hang on. The PovertyLater clowns were totally wrong about that as well according to the ONS IPHRP

5994572b497a4_JamesFraserisanidiot.jpg.d7fbc000019c67f3cfbf5d83e62d2cc0.jpg

Source

"Rent rises are coming soon"

"You'll see"

"I personally know a lot of Landlords who are raising rents NOW" (basically a few people on 118)

*Report from Belvoir or someone saying rents might rise due to tax changes*

"I TOLD YOU RENTS WOULD RISE - GOD EVERYONE BUT ME IS SO STUPID ESPECIALLY GEORGE"   

*Figures released saying rents reducing*

"Take out London and all the other places where rents are reducing and you'll see that rents are increasing"

"Coming soon"

"You'll see"

*Repeat until brain falls out*

HOLA4414
2 hours ago, Lavalas said:

*Repeat until brain falls out*

Given the tiny brains and the big mouths, the risk of the brain falling out is a massive concern for your typical PovertyLater BTL muppet*.

* I know your brain can't fall out of your mouth, but most of them don't. Given that their resident intellectual, The Mighty Bosh, is a social scientist (and probably couldn't tell a frontal cortex from a skim of aging Artex) the joke will put the wind up them even if it barely makes sense. It makes more sense that 15 buy-to-let mortgages as a pension plan and the daft herberts have all piled into that nonsense so they're bound to go for the brains falling out of mouths idiocy** ;)

** If you're thinking that they just read the end note above and get wise to my tricks you are in error. They're PovertyLater BTL muppets and they never read the small print

Edited by Bland Unsight

HOLA4415
2 hours ago, Bland Unsight said:

Given the tiny brains and the big mouths, the risk of the brain falling out is a massive concern for your typical PovertyLater BTL muppet*.

* I know your brain can't fall out of your mouth, but most of them don't. Given that their resident intellectual, The Mighty Bosh, is a social scientist (and probably couldn't tell a frontal cortex from a skim of aging Artex) the joke will put the wind up them even if it barely makes sense. It makes more sense that 15 buy-to-let mortgages as a pension plan and the daft herberts have all piled into that nonsense so they're bound to go for the brains falling out of mouths idiocy** ;)

** If you're thinking that they just read the end note above and get wise to my tricks you are in error. They're PovertyLater BTL muppets and they never read the small print

They've got brain enough to know what they've been doing/done.   It's not a matter of intelligence.   It's how one sees oneself in the world vs other people, and many of the BTLers made their choices to make their neighbours the renters, with them having multiple homes, in a supply/affordability crisis they have played their part in creating.

And some of them retired 20+ years ago at 40... already with multiple homes, £1m in bank, holiday home in USA, years of flash cars... but came back for moar BTL.

They can see straight up the difference between themselves as the housing-haves in their dressing-gowns and 50 houses worth £7m (with spreadsheet expecting that to double and treble still in years to come), and their tenants working 2 jobs... nearly falling from tiredness with newborn baby as landlord comes to do an inspection.

*Cartoon violence.*  (Red vs Blue)..... HMRC can surely do the impossible with the BTLers, if they want to, with their powers, the new S24 regime, in time to come... to get the tax they are owed.

Section 24 ahead, but until it comes in and things change, they're the power with all the houses, the massive rent roll, and many of us the priced out renter-saver numbskull anarchists.   Tex/Taxes on the way though.

HOLA4416
2 hours ago, Venger said:

They've got brain enough to know what they've been doing/done.   It's not a matter of intelligence.   It's how one sees oneself in the world vs other people, and many of the BTLers made their choices to make their neighbours the renters, with them having multiple homes, in a supply/affordability crisis they have played their part in creating.

They've got brains enough to see what's coming now that its arrival is being plastered all over the papers. They have intelligence enough to rationalise their choices and paint themselves as saints and not sinners (though the brushwork may be shoddy enough that a dispassionate outsider is unconvinced).

painting-fresco_2316720b.jpg

However, this is a comedy thread on HPC and here I ask a simpler question to all the nervous erstwhile 'I understand property' braggarts and blowhards now sweating a little over the possibility of an eventual insolvency. "If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?"

Your point and my point are connected.

Their inability to see how they are connected to others is also the seed of their trouble and the explicit evidence of their stupidity. Yes they are ignorant but the fact that the extent to which one must take one's thinking forward to see that the BTL gravy train wouldn't run on forever is so vanishingly small means that they are also demonstrably stupid. The one's who've gotten out early were 'ex post facto clever', or as we say in the non-daft world, they were lucky.

It's not just about 'winning' today because life is a long road and, to stick with the well-worn phrases, tomorrow is a promise to no-one. BTL is like putting your junk in a mincer which will randomly power up and mince its contents. You don't get to say you're clever just because your junk goes unminced. A more reasonable critique would be "Was there really nothing better you could have done with one your one shot at life than dangle your junk in a mincer and hope for the best?", or to put it another way, now that they are getting a little nervous about the whirring noises from the mincer's electric motor, "If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?"

Still, you can't go wrong with bricks and mortar, can you?

Edited by Bland Unsight

HOLA4417

That's quite some frame of the position re BTL/BTLers/BTL-Lending and the mincer.

Not that I disagree with that framing.  It's all madness/stupidity to me.

Only point I have is something to add to your view about lack of intelligence & stupidity.

Wilful greed, selfishness, high-ego, power, and "all-about-me" is often a big part of it for many BTLers imo.  I can't allow people to point to 'the system' alone as to blame, or 'stupidity' / 'lack of intelligence' when it's manifestly clear what BTLers are doing to themselves (their actions/choices) to tenants.  Buying up homes (supply/price extremes) to rent out... creating the demand they pretend to service... for money/profitz.

I'm trying to keep the link to one's own choices and actions, actually making the system we are in.  Forcing it on all others, who position for something better/fairer.

They've all been part of making the housing situation we have, and for the moment, many are still living good quality life where little budgeting.

Winning today is very important.   Life quality.... own home BTLers with lots of houses rented out, vs priced out working tenants.   And you have posted that the BTLers have been winning every single day of your working life. (I'm not going to search for the post but I could find it if I had to).  That's... a long time.  HPI++++++.

There is a difference between the £Milllion in equity on multiple homes and in command of high rental roll, and the priced out tenant working 2 jobs to support his young family, having LL come around to do inspections, on 2 months notice to find a better place because LL wants to use him as a human shield with Gov to drop S24.... letters telling tenants that their rent will be going up because of S24.... with LL still expecting another doubling in 50+ houses in next 2 decades (S24 only hitting his current profitz).

Know of LLs with multiple homes.  Pipster has used last 8 years of zirpy rates to pay down debt on all his BTL houses.  (With his tenants rents).

You yourself tell those on the good mortgage deals that are having money thrown at them with choice to pay down their debt on low rates (recent post as I remember it).

We'll have to wait until that blender really powers up into S24, and hope longer term gets fairer.  

What was that post you made about the fan....?  Ah yes. :)

Hope so re S24....but they've had years of good times to pay down position.  Their own action in BTL.  More than lack of intelligence/stupidity... people can be bad you know... and that blame shouldn't be shifted onto 'the system'.

On 17/04/2017 at 10:04 PM, bubbleturbo said:

The BOE starting to "investigate" is a sure sign that excrement has already started to come into contact with the fan blades at an alarming rate.

On 17/04/2017 at 11:06 PM, Bland Unsight said:

:lol:

This investigation follows hot on the heels of the investigation into why the people sitting near the fan are all covered in shit.

Edited by Venger

HOLA4418
On 21/07/2017 at 7:39 PM, Si1 said:

Hahahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahahaha

:lol:

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
On 16/08/2017 at 7:59 AM, eek said:

Remember that Limited Liability partnership sc(am)heme  Busta was selling last year well it appears that he's finally found out that it doesn't work

https://www.property118.com/beware-tax-planning-models-using-llps/ 

I think Busta has become a lot more realistic this year. I don't remember him pushing this scheme in particular, but this time last year he was coming out with some new idea almost every week. 

He backed this with the Lord Tomlin  ruling dating back to the 1930s on the Duke of Westminster:

"Every man is entitled if he can to order his affairs so that the tax attaching under the appropriate Acts is less than it otherwise would be. If he succeeds in ordering them so as to secure this result, then, however unappreciative the Commissioners of Inland Revenue or his fellow tax-payers may be of his ingenuity, he cannot be compelled to pay an increased tax."

This has not had any standing for many years, and it looks like Busta now accepts the anti-avoidance principle.

HOLA4423
27 minutes ago, Ah-so said:

I think Busta has become a lot more realistic this year. I don't remember him pushing this scheme in particular, but this time last year he was coming out with some new idea almost every week. 

He backed this with the Lord Tomlin  ruling dating back to the 1930s on the Duke of Westminster:

"Every man is entitled if he can to order his affairs so that the tax attaching under the appropriate Acts is less than it otherwise would be. If he succeeds in ordering them so as to secure this result, then, however unappreciative the Commissioners of Inland Revenue or his fellow tax-payers may be of his ingenuity, he cannot be compelled to pay an increased tax."

This has not had any standing for many years, and it looks like Busta now accepts the anti-avoidance principle.

Interestingly it doesn't appear that comment are enabled on busta's article, shame.

HOLA4424
6 hours ago, Lavalas said:

Interesting. I mentioned before about the wording of previous written responses being designed to shut down further questions, and this is further evidence to that conclusion.

Politicians of all stripes when faced with a difficult policy question will endeavour to appear sympathetic and ask for a written question for their staff to look at, to go through the usual correspondence brush-off route. So for TMay to not only not do that, but just flatly say she is "aware" of the issue, indicates to me that she considers the policy settled and has no intention of revisiting it.  Hiring the former Housing minister as her SPaD (who would have also had to sign off on s24) is also a pretty big hint.

Sadly I fear the likes of Ros are not capable of reaching such nuanced conclusions, and will be the first against the wall when the revolution comes.  Not long to go now..

HOLA4425
5 hours ago, Lambie said:

Interesting. I mentioned before about the wording of previous written responses being designed to shut down further questions, and this is further evidence to that conclusion.

Politicians of all stripes when faced with a difficult policy question will endeavour to appear sympathetic and ask for a written question for their staff to look at, to go through the usual correspondence brush-off route. So for TMay to not only not do that, but just flatly say she is "aware" of the issue, indicates to me that she considers the policy settled and has no intention of revisiting it.  Hiring the former Housing minister as her SPaD (who would have also had to sign off on s24) is also a pretty big hint.

Sadly I fear the likes of Ros are not capable of reaching such nuanced conclusions, and will be the first against the wall when the revolution comes.  Not long to go now..

I am sure once she got into the helicopter, she had a conversation reminiscent of Gordon Brown's during the 2010 campaign:

"That was a disaster. Should never have put me with that woman. Whose idea was that?"